The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Been having some problems with my right eye for the past week - flashing lights, loads of floaters and soreness. Bit of a panic, as thought it might be detached retina. Phoned optician, who said go straight to A & E. Only 20 mins walk away, so walked up there (dry but cloudy), and arrived at reception at 11.30. Seen by triage nurse at 12.00, then by nurse practitioner/ENT, who did a thorough check but could find nothing. Was going to refer me up to opthalmic consultant clinic, but spoke to her and she would not see me, but told to tell me to go to optician! Left at 13.00 and walked home in high wind and horizontal rain, and got soaked. Phoned optician again, and luckily got appointment for tomorrow afternoon, to see their consultant.
Net result: long wait in A & E (expected), check over but no result, appointment with optician tomorrow , that I could have arranged this morning, got soaked. If my retina is detaching, I will be less than a happy bunny, especially if it goes overnight, like my father's did, resulting in loss of sight in that eye.

daveg

Hope it's nothing that serious, Kipper!

Dave G

jonclox

Hope its nothing serious kipper and that all is soon sorted out
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Bealman

Good luck with that one, Kipper. Sounds like you get the same runaround there as we do here in Aus.

All the very best with the eye problem.... hope all turns out ok.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Here's something that receives a lot of coverage in the local press here in my home town (and has been for years now), but still nothing has been done. I had to go and collect my daughter who was returning from Sydney the other day, and was reminded of the sad state of affairs here.

This is my my closest railway station. As can be seen, it is a island platform.

[smg id=10230 type=preview align=center width=400]

The only access to the platform is by footbridge (and is that old stationmaster's house the Kestrel gatekeeper's cottage kit or what?!)

[smg id=10232 type=preview align=center width=400]

This is via steps to the platform....

[smg id=10233 type=preview align=center width=400]

....and to the street. They were only upgraded a year or so ago. You should have seen them before! It's a wonder nobody's foot went through 'em.

[smg id=10236 type=preview align=center width=400]

Anyway, what's my beef? It is perfectly obvious that lifts are long overdue - but what makes the issue a ZILLION times worse is that many stations further up the line had lifts installed years ago.... but on through up and down platforms which have a road overbridge at the end of them with ramp and road access to them!

Yet here we have an ISLAND platform without lifts, people have petitioned, the local media have pushed the issue, and still no lifts. I have seen elderly people struggling on those stairs (me included) and getting a wheelchair onto that platform must be a nightmare.  :veryangry: :veryangry:

Anyway, me daughter's train actually arrived on time for once (even if it was the wrong platform)...

[smg id=10239 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=10241 type=preview align=center width=400]

And let's hope that hole they're digging is for local counsellors...  :veryangry: :veryangry:

[smg id=10238 type=preview align=center width=400]

Newportnobby

Let's hope your councillors are tall and thin, George :dighole:

Trainfish

Be careful what you wish for, you could end up with a ramp something like this.

Full story HERE
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jonclox

Quote from: Trainfish on February 15, 2014, 12:56:35 PM

Full story HERE
Is that the latest form of helix  :-\
A sad tale though.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Oldun

I was surprised to see the council housed her in a house like that in the first place.

My wife has MS and is bedbound and sometimes uses a wheel chair but, when being
rehoused the council and the OT people sorted out a house with a level garden at the
front, wide doors leading outside with low steps  (1.5") and interior doors 33" wide.
They are in about 6 months time going to fit a through floor lift as well. The OT people
turned down 6 houses as unsuitable for wheelchair access.

So, as I said - why did the council move them there in the first place ???

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Kipper

Went to opticians this afternoon, and seen by consultant. Did a thorough check, with the equipment available. Put drops in and had a look at inside of eye. Diagnosis of drying up of the gel that forms the eye, causing it to pull away from retina. 98% of people with it have no other problems, other 2% do. Mainly a problem for short fat older people (I am not that short!). Booked into eye clinic at Queens Medical Centre for more in depth examination on Monday morning. Getting more amazed at the efficiency and speed that the NHS is capable of these days.

Bealman

That is unbelievable. I can see it would be a magnet for skateboarders. Must be like living inside a nightmare.

ParkeNd

Full story HERE

That is one fabulous skateboard park.

talisman56

TL:DR - the story mentions that the local skater kids have already started using it and the resident wants a gate installed. Local council have refused as the gate would need to be outward opening 'and that would block the pavement' - local authority idiocy upon local authority idiocy...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bealman

Oh for crying out loud. This is like something from Monty Python.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations