4CEP - A lot of train for the money

Started by woodbury22uk, March 13, 2013, 07:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Although Hattons and others have had the Farish green 4CEP at as low as £99, they now seem to be clearing the decks for the 2013 releases by discounting the 00 scale Bachmann one to £69. That's a lot of train for the money. Just for comparison a green MLV would set you back £66 from the same source.

http://www.ehattons.com/32691/Bachmann_UK_31_425A_Class_411_4_car_CEP_EMU_in_BR_green_/StockDetail.aspx

The 00 scale one in green may not have sold well enough - although there are two new ones listed for this year, both green and weathered which I suppose may be reworked original ones.

How would people feel about weathered 4CEPS in N?

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

Quote from: woodbury22uk on March 13, 2013, 07:57:30 PM

Mike

Not the answer you probably want as I have no need of forceps, but as to weathered stock I invariably buy weathered versions of locos and rolling stock even though they cost more than pristine ones.
Now I have an airbrush to practice with :D

Karhedron

I am cautiously positive about weathered stock. Some looks like it has just been splattered with a brown aerosol but some looks like a good job has been made of it (Dapol 9F and silver bullets, Farish WD8).

Passenger stock is tricky as the sides were usually kept fairly clean. Weathered underframes and roofs with just a hint of dirt on the sides would be good but it remains to be seen if it can be done well at a good price.

Farish have announced some weathered Mk1s this year and I will be interested to see the finish on them.

As for the 4-CEP, it would be a long way from home on my GWR BLT.  :laugh:

Having said that, I do have a soft-spot for southern EMUs. If some came out cheap enough, I might be tempted to have a little play with a Minories style layout just to run them on.  Maybe trying out Wayne's new fiNetrax at the same time.....  :hmmm:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Brooksy

If it was a weathered NSE livery or Jaffa Cake I'd bite your hand off! :heart2:

johnlambert

Quote from: Brooksy on March 15, 2013, 08:37:44 PM

If it was a weathered NSE livery or Jaffa Cake I'd bite your hand off! :heart2:

Oh yes, a Farish 4CEP in NSE would be great, or all-over blue...  Weathered or not, I'd be happy.

Greybeema

Jaffa Cake for me.  I'll do my own weathering......
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

tadpole

Two rails good. Three better.

Greybeema

Tadpole - Looks like Clapham Junction on a quiet Sunday afternoon...

Great work Mate..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations