RIP 'The Cat' Peter Bonetti

Started by Trainfish, April 12, 2020, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

One of the most revered goalkeepers of all time. Only played for England 7 times but there was another half decent keeper around at the same time, Gordon Banks. Played 729 times for Chelsea though, there's not many present day footballers who will reach that target.

Famous people seem to be falling like flies today  :'(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

honestjudge

Yes a sad loss.

One of those footballers you grew up with as a kid.
I hope he didn't do or say anything controversial in his time.  ;)

Mr Sprue

I had the pleasure of watching Peter "the Cat" Bonetti playing many times back in the seventy's. Used to love attending the "Shed" back then.

Those were the days when it was a physical game and there was no magic water to pour on broken legs and heal them in seconds!

Trainfish

Quote from: Mr Sprue on April 12, 2020, 04:15:43 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Peter "the Cat" Bonetti playing many times back in the seventy's. Used to love attending the "Shed" back then.

Those were the days when it was a physical game and there was no magic water to pour on broken legs and heal them in seconds!

100% agree. Whilst I am a football fan I'm not a huge fan of the Premier League or rather the pansies who play in it. People often think that ALL of football is like that, think again and watch lower league football. Not as tough as the 1970's but far better than the current top flight.

Not much chance of today's prima donnas becoming postmen after they finish their careers either, unlike the Cat.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

as a 'dog person' can I start screaming abuse  :hmmm:

Roy L S

Same here, I used to love standing in the Shed End, such atmosphere, players like"The Cat", Ron "Chopper" Harris and Micky Droy - no nonsense football!

Those were the days....

Roy

honestjudge

That Chelsea era had some great characters, Dave Webb  and Peter Osgood to name a few,  I wasn't a Chelsea supporter,  but I liked the players.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Roy L S on April 12, 2020, 04:47:09 PM

Same here, I used to love standing in the Shed End, such atmosphere, players like"The Cat", Ron "Chopper" Harris and Micky Droy - no nonsense football!

Those were the days....

Roy

I spoke with Ron "Chopper " Harris about 3 years ago, he was with Julian Dicks, a pair of hard sods together!  :)

guest311

I'm guessing that was when footballers got tackled, got up and played on, maybe with a little retribution  ::)

as opposed to 'oh, he was withing 6 feet of me', fall down, scream in 'agony', wait for nomination for 'acting of the match'.

sorry, in my day, ball had a different shape, you got tackled very hard  :'( got up and played on.

talent showed in those days, and I don't mean acting talent.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: class37025 on April 12, 2020, 05:53:54 PM
I'm guessing that was when footballers got tackled, got up and played on, maybe with a little retribution  ::)

Yep kicked about a heavy water logged brown leather ball on a wet muddy pitch nursing an hangover from the night before. Proper men then not like the cantankerous fairy's today, who dive at the mere slightest threat of a challenge!  ::)

joe cassidy

Spare a thought for Jimmy Greaves, still in hospital I believe.

Newportnobby

Can we please have an 'RIP' thread without any sniping?
One has been locked and I'm poised for action again :unimpressed:

port perran

A great keeper who will be sadly missed.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

OffshoreAlan

The good old days when only the goalkeepers wore gloves.

Bealman

Quote from: Trainfish on April 12, 2020, 04:24:18 PM

100% agree. Whilst I am a football fan I'm not a huge fan of the Premier League or rather the pansies who play in it. People often think that ALL of football is like that, think again and watch lower league football. Not as tough as the 1970's but far better than the current top flight.

Not much chance of today's prima donnas becoming postmen after they finish their careers either, unlike the Cat.

Yep, Bonetti certainly was a brilliant keeper back in those heady days.

As for watching lower league stuff, I've got little choice... I'ma Sunderland supporter  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations