Which DSLR Camera To Buy?

Started by dannyboy, November 26, 2020, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

First off, I realise I am asking a question that will probably get as many recommendations as answers. However, I am looking to buy a DSLR camera and wondered if there was a strong leaning towards any particular make and/or model. I have no experience of DSLR cameras and currently use a Canon SX720 Compact, which I have to say, I am quite happy with. I do however, feel like I want to be more creative, so, what do people recommend, say to a maximum of around £750?

I have looked at various online reviews but can not pin any one particular camera down.  :confused1:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Markthetog

The first thing to find out is which feels best in your hands. Go to a shop (Currys/PC World will be open next week but don't buy there!) and hold a Canon, a Nikon and a Sony. Their grips and ergonomics differ a surprising amount and comfort is vital to give you a stable shooting platform.

Once you've narrowed it down to a particular make (all 3 are excellent) look at their range to see what suits your needs. One important factor: Don't necessarily go for the most expensive one that fits your budget - it's often better to go for a cheaper body with a better lens. A better camera doesn't necessarily make one a better photographer, trust me!

Happy shopping and be careful not to get bitten by the bug - taking photography seriously can cost more than a lifetime's worth of layouts!

In case you wonder if I'm qualified to give advice: I have 2 books with my name below the title. (REALLY successful photographers have their name at the top!)

Good luck!

dannyboy

Quote from: Markthetog on November 26, 2020, 11:18:19 AM

In case you wonder if I'm qualified to give advice: I have 2 books with my name below the title. (REALLY successful photographers have their name at the top!)

Not easy, living where I do, to get to a camera shop. Plus I am supposed to stay within 5 km of my home, (except for 'essential' travel - is buying a camera 'essential'?  :)), plus I am not supposed to leave my county, plus the Government are thinking of banning travel to Northern Ireland, this Covid thing has a lot to answer for! But, regarding your books - give us a clue.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

red_death

What Mark says is spot on.  If you can't get to shops then read reviews (eg dpreview, Ken Rockwell, Tom's Guide etc) plus if you have any experience of a particular brand of camera and you like the way it handles/menu works then maybe stick with that.

I like the way Canon SLRs handle and menus so I stuck with Canon (plus I like their lenses) but you'll struggle to pick a lemon if you do a bit of reading. My personal preference would be stick with Canon or Nikon if you prefer to have the widest choices of lenses.

Try to think if any features are must haves for you and don't worry too much about number of pixels. Things like low light performance (high ISO, though lenses have a massive impact here as well), frame speed, video capabilities, size/weight (do you want a normal SLR or a mirrorless SLR), autofocus performance.

Cheers Mike

keithbythe sea

Above advice is all good. One thing to add, and you can only judge this by picking one up, is camera weight. I'd hanckered after a Canon 5D for years until I picked one up. It weighed a ton, I didn't fancy lugging that around on sightseeing trips. I ended up buying (another Canon) something a lot lighter. Good luck with the search.

Yet_Another

Agree about the weight. Some time ago I realised there was little point in lugging round a glass prism and went mirrorless. Not only lighter, but smaller. Worth considering.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

swisstrains

Another vote for mirrorless after years of carrying heavy SLR's.
I like the Olympus OM-D ones.

Bealman

Yeah, lots of opinions opened up here.

I've always liked Olympus anything.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Conor1410David

If you were thinking of photographing a layout, if would consider a close-focusing macro lens. I invested in a Pentax system because that is what I started with in the far off days of 35mm film. These days you cannot go wrong with Canon or Nikon.

Malc

I had a Canon DSLR and used to carry it everywhere . One day I realised that 95% of the time I left it in auto mode, so sold it and bought a Nikon compact.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

Quote from: Markthetog on November 26, 2020, 11:18:19 AM
The first thing to find out is which feels best in your hands.

Having done a lot of photography over the years, not had my name on a book but sold a lot of pictures back in the 1980's and was commissioned to cover various sporting events by advertisers I have to say that the line above is THE most important in this thread. If it doesn't feel right in your hand you're going to struggle. Just because it costs twice as much doesn't mean it will take better pictures, that's down to you and your creativeness. A good example for me was back when Minolta released the 7000 (the first real autofocus if you like) and then the 9000. The 9000 was a lot more expensive than the 7000 and I tried both. The 9000 was horrible to handle whereas the 7000 was great, I still have 2 of them!

So in my mind and as some others have said go with what you think feels right and will do what you want it to do. Don't just start at the most expensive and work your way down. Go to Currys etc, don't look at the price tag first, pick each up, see if you're comfortable with it and then check if it will do what you want it to do. Then look at the price  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

Minolta made a great camera. I had an X300 at one time with a good selection of lenses. With a T mount, you can fit several brands of lens.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bigmac

Back in the mist of time i had a 35mm pentax spotmatic film camera..and took lots of photos as part of my job. Then about 15 years back i bought a small flat digital jobbie with a zoom lens?.and a 1 gig card that alone cost me £35!! I then sold my pentax because i hadnt used it for years.

I still have that digital job..but havent used that for years now.  Why?

I use a mobile phone. It does everything i need..it goes everywhere i go..and means i dont need to carry extra techi-bling.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Dorsetmike

I had quite a few different makes of film camera, but when Minolta brought out auto focus cameras I switched, when Digital came along I already had a few Minolta fit lenses, so got a digital Minolta, still got it; Sony bought the Minolta camera business and kept the same lens mount so I also have a Sony; still got 4 film cameras, and 3 digital compacts, plus a couple of video cameras.
I would however echo an earlier post and try and find a camera shop that will let you handle various options, there is bound to be one which will feel more comfortable to handle, it will depend to some extent on the size of your hands as the positions of controls etc affect ease of handling, weight may also be a factor.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bigmac

It used to make me laugh when i worked at the local steam railway....the sheer number of male tourist visitors strutting round with their digital housebrick hanging on a long strap round their neck,  with an enormous zoom lens poking out of it. They rarely took any snaps.

Was it Desmond Morris who commented about men driving sports cars with long red bonnets being deficient in other areas ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations