What is your favorite British Rail Diesel of all time?

Started by OwL, March 30, 2011, 08:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerm1982

Quote from: newportnobby on August 18, 2011, 05:52:48 PM
It seems to me we have a sub culture which should be named "The Class 37 Appreciation Society" or something like, closely followed by the Class 55.
Of course, they're not related :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
The Class 31 deserves appreciation for its longevity, as does the 08 (I nearly got mown down by a 31 while spotting at Finsbury Park without permission) - that shows how long they've been with us ;D

It does sound like that re the Class 37 does'nt it, my love of them came from exposure to them pounding out of crewe in the early to mid nineties on the Wales coast trains as a teenager and frequent trips down the coast line on them with my friend at the time! happy days! Crewe is such a sad place now we cant sit on the end of the platform overlooking the depot watching the various locos shuffling around... some of them not in the best state pouring black smoke out, and some with barely any paint left on, i do like the 31's and 47's too, have a couple of photos of 47467 and a RFD (from memory) in a terrible state externally, but still running!

Newportnobby

At the risk of being called a B.O.F. I remember Crewe in the steam days and it was Mecca for rail fans, but it seems to have gone downhill so much now. I still think anything with a wheel arrangement of 1Co-Co1 is the dogs whatsits :thumbsup:

The Cuckoo

Class 60 for me, although the sound of a 37 is music to my ears  :thumbsup:

OwL

Quote from: The Cuckoo on August 21, 2011, 06:52:35 PM

If you like class 60's, you may be interested in this:

http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

:thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

The Cuckoo

Quote from: owl729 on August 21, 2011, 07:31:45 PM
Quote from: The Cuckoo on August 21, 2011, 06:52:35 PM

If you like class 60's, you may be interested in this:

http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

:thumbsup:

Thank's for the link, it's great to see that a preservation group has already been set up for Tugs  ;D
I've only just got around to picking up a copy of the book from the power series entitled 'The Power of the 60s by Gavin Morrison and have to say that it's a must have item for anyone with an interest in this class.

Sprintex

Depends if you mean diesel loco in the true sense of the word, or diesel in general  ;)

My favourite proper loco has to be the Class 55 'Deltic' - may not have been the most versatile, although 55022 was recently hired out for freight duties so maybe it just never got the chance? 100mph all day long and the sound of those twin 18-cylinder Delta engines was just magical  8). Did a tour with 55022 a couple of years ago along the mid-Wales line, fantastic throbbing noises in the tunnels up those gradients but not once did they have to fire up the '47 on the rear end to help out  ;)

The only thing that is higher in my esteem is the Class 43 HST - a true design classic that is still with us 35 years after its debut, and still a darn site better and more comfortable than the horrible Voyagers/Meridians/Adelantes that they keep trying to "replace" them with on various routes  ::). They may have lost the Valenta sound, but they just keep going and going. Such is my adoration for these trains that I have been a member of 125 Group for some years now and hope to see at least one set preserved, AND returned to Valenta-power  :thumbsup:

Paul

Avis1434

Well I'm with you Class 20 guys.

Had one in BR Green down at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Preservation Line No D8020, not far from me. It was a joy to listen to that engine note which is totally different from most other diesels.

It is currently on hire to Wensleydale Railway until mid 2011 I understand.

If you want further information on their stock of diesels just lookm up their site at  SRPS Diesel Group

4x2

Quote from: Sprintex on August 29, 2011, 07:16:15 PM
Depends if you mean diesel loco in the true sense of the word, or diesel in general  ;)

My favourite proper loco has to be the Class 55 'Deltic' - may not have been the most versatile, although 55022 was recently hired out for freight duties so maybe it just never got the chance? 100mph all day long and the sound of those twin 18-cylinder Delta engines was just magical  8). Did a tour with 55022 a couple of years ago along the mid-Wales line, fantastic throbbing noises in the tunnels up those gradients but not once did they have to fire up the '47 on the rear end to help out  ;)

The only thing that is higher in my esteem is the Class 43 HST - a true design classic that is still with us 35 years after its debut, and still a darn site better and more comfortable than the horrible Voyagers/Meridians/Adelantes that they keep trying to "replace" them with on various routes  ::). They may have lost the Valenta sound, but they just keep going and going. Such is my adoration for these trains that I have been a member of 125 Group for some years now and hope to see at least one set preserved, AND returned to Valenta-power  :thumbsup:

Paul
I used to work at st phillips marsh and bristol bath road, so I understand why the HST, but best of luck with finding any valentas - most are way past their best and we were getting weekly failures of pistons, liners and cylinder heads before the mtu's were fitted. Shame really, the valenta has no equal when it comes to noise or clagg ! Have great memories of being in the engine room at 125mph with the RSI (rolling stock inspector) checking water temps and oil pressure, looking through the grills at trees as they flew past - Awesome ! Anyway, my favorite is the Class 52 'Western' nothing else looks like it and was also the first model loco ever bought for me by my dad at the Bristol Exibition centre in 1986 ! (thanks dad !:wave:)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Sprintex

125 Group already have a selection of working engines and cooler groups that they have cherry-picked for their low mileage since last overhaul, all have been taken direct from Loughborough as units came in for MTU-installation plus all ancillary parts necessary to retrofit Valentas  :)

Paul

4x2

Good news ! Obviously I didn't know that... :-[ Been out of the industry a while now (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it !) so i'm not that up to date. Hope they'll get repainted in original Intercity blue livery ! :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Sprintex

Yes Intercity blue/yellow would be nice, but only AFTER they've seen some daylight in Swallow livery first!  ;D

Paul

4x2

Quote from: Sprintex on August 29, 2011, 08:50:54 PM
Yes Intercity blue/yellow would be nice, but only AFTER they've seen some daylight in Swallow livery first!  ;D

Paul
Fair enough ! As an apprentice, i had to paint a coach in swallow livery - it's all done by hand and takes about 4 days, and my arms were knackered after that  :smiley-laughing: - god knows how the paint shop boys did it on a daily basis !

Mike

Mustermark

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on August 29, 2011, 09:01:42 PM
god knows how the paint shop boys did it on a daily basis !

Paint Shop Boys?  Wasn't that an 80's band?

Oh, damn... now I've thought of that I shall be humming "West End Girls" all day.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

4x2

Quote from: Mustermark on August 29, 2011, 09:20:33 PM

Oh, damn... now I've thought of that I shall be humming "West End Girls" all day.
Nice to see a sence of humor ! Although I was expecting sore arm jokes.... Just remember to keep it clean !

Mike

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mustermark on August 29, 2011, 09:20:33 PM

:smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations