dapol hst

Started by matt-b, May 02, 2011, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz

Quote from: Jameswgm on November 16, 2013, 10:31:53 AM
Unbelievable how much better the Dapol model looks than my ancient Poole era farish. If they re-released the FGW liveried one, no question I'd buy one.

You and me both, I have one FGW Dynamic Lines book set and would love at least one more, managed to buy 2 more coaches off of eBay but still need more for the full set.   :'(
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Jameswgm

Quote from: whiteswan on November 16, 2013, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: Jameswgm on November 16, 2013, 10:31:53 AM
Unbelievable how much better the Dapol model looks than my ancient Poole era farish. If they re-released the FGW liveried one, no question I'd buy one.

You and me both, I have one FGW Dynamic Lines book set and would love at least one more, managed to buy 2 more coaches off of eBay but still need more for the full set.   :'(

Emailed them to enquire but they were very noncommittal about a future batch being manufactured. Dapol seem very half-hearted about producing coaches to accompany their booksets.

pape_timmo

I need more coaches for my FGW set, really hope they get a move on...

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Trainfish

I've got 6 blue/grey sets (I managed to buy 2 by accident) and haven't run them much but have been very happy with them. I'm still trying to decide whether to use Dapol or Farish coaches though. I don't want lights in them so that's not an issue and I have had the same issue as some others with sporadic uncoupling from the Dapol coaches.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

RizUK

Okay,

I've read through the thread and seen the reviews good and bad but in the end is it worth the £150 to buy this set considering I'm a novice when it comes to model railways and I just want the model to work out of the box without any heartache. Are the late versions better, specifically the blue/grey edition. I have the farish Poole DC version but would like a version that is DCC ready that I can chip when ready.

I see that most problems seem to be related to additional carriages, I suspect I will be using the carriages from the set only and no others.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

Andy

scotsoft

As I already posted about my HST set here:

Quote from: scotsoft on November 15, 2013, 07:30:30 PM
I was a bit concerned about buying the Grand Central HST after reading up about ups and downs with Dapol.

However my set has run very well straight from the box, no issues at all  :claphappy:

I would like them to release other coaches to make up a full set but I will just have to be patient for those  :(

cheers John.

If you do decide to go ahead I would advise you to shop around as I managed to find my Grand Central set for £94 including postage  ;)

cheers John.

Dr Al

Quote from: RizUK on January 07, 2014, 05:08:53 PM
Are the late versions better, specifically the blue/grey edition.

The design is no different - but I have two of the later Blue/Grey sets that have had no problems so far.

Regards,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

geoffc

I bought a FGW Dynamic Lines book set from Dapol at Warley, this has gone back under warranty as the power car underbody was bowed and the thing sat nose up. It has been fixed but now seems to be noisier. Like pape_timmo still waiting for the rest of the coaches to make a prototypical rake, they were promised for December 2013. I hope when they arrive they are faultless, as I am worried if I have to return one there will not be a replacement available. Dapol never seem to produce enough coaches to match the number of booksets.

RizUK

Thanks for the responses. has anyone ran these on set track small radius points. I am planning a small layout hence only the two ends and two coaches but wanted to know if this would work pulling over small radius points and in some instances pushing over small radius points as i'm pretty sure its a single power car and a dummy.

Would appreciate if anyone had a small layout and a bookset could give it a try and let me know :-)

don't want to spend money on something that ain't gonna do the job.

my farish poole dual power car set (although DC and pretty sure not DCCable) seems to handle them ok although i've  nothing pinned down this was just blue tacked to the table.

Andy

GWR-Kris

Quote from: Trainfish on December 08, 2013, 09:46:43 PM
I've got 6 blue/grey sets (I managed to buy 2 by accident) and haven't run them much but have been very happy with them. I'm still trying to decide whether to use Dapol or Farish coaches though. I don't want lights in them so that's not an issue and I have had the same issue as some others with sporadic uncoupling from the Dapol coaches.

Even without the lights the Dapol ones are far supirior in detail etc.

geoffc

Thanks for the responses. has anyone ran these on set track small radius points. I am planning a small layout hence only the two ends and two coaches but wanted to know if this would work pulling over small radius points and in some instances pushing over small radius points as i'm pretty sure its a single power car and a dummy.

Would appreciate if anyone had a small layout and a bookset could give it a try and let me know :-)

don't want to spend money on something that ain't gonna do the job.

my farish poole dual power car set (although DC and pretty sure not DCCable) seems to handle them ok although i've  nothing pinned down this was just blue tacked to the table.

Andy

At the moment I am running a FGW book set plus buffet(waiting for coaches), you are correct it is a single power car plus dummy.
I have a double oval and the cross over is two set track ST5 9" radius points, it negotiates this at speed in either direction without a problem.
The coaches unlike the GF ones are buffer less and the Rapido couplings can be changed for buckeye or nem bars as supplied by Etched Pixels or SpurNeun (Kupplestange) to eliminated the slop in the Rapidos.   
As mentioned it is easy to fit lights to the coaches.

Geoff

GWR-Kris

Quote from: geoffc on January 08, 2014, 10:58:41 AM
The coaches unlike the GF ones are buffer less and the Rapido couplings can be changed for buckeye or nem bars as supplied by Etched Pixels or SpurNeun (Kupplestange) to eliminated the slop in the Rapidos.   
Geoff

Nem Bars?

geoffc

Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 08, 2014, 12:15:16 PM
Geoff

Nem Bars?

NEM bars are solid bars with a nem coupling shape on both ends and plug into the nem sockets to connect the two pieces of rolling stock together. If you go onto Shapeway on the web and inset nem bar in the search box you will see them.

Geoff

GWR-Kris

Quote from: geoffc on January 08, 2014, 01:41:25 PM
Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 08, 2014, 12:15:16 PM
Geoff

Nem Bars?

NEM bars are solid bars with a nem coupling shape on both ends and plug into the nem sockets to connect the two pieces of rolling stock together. If you go onto Shapeway on the web and inset nem bar in the search box you will see them.

Geoff

thanks for that. was looking on Etched pixels sight couldnt find them. deffo look alot better than std couplings. do like these also

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1581065/nem-coupler.html?li=search-results&materialId=25

Sithlord75

Dunno if it is elsewhere but apparently the Blue/Grey Buffets are now on a ship (only 5 years after I pre-ordered them!).  Might have my 8 coach ECML set running by my 39th birthday instead of the 35th they were supposed to be for.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations