Double heading locos

Started by weave, September 08, 2012, 10:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Hi all,

Can't remember if I've seen this or even asked it before, as have the memory of a sieve, but can you double head locos of different makes or would that burn out the motors of the potentially slower or faster one. Have got Minitrix, Piko, Startrain and Kato locos.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Weave

EtchedPixels

Providing they run at resonably similar speed all should be fine.

With DCC you can if need be use the speed curves to speed match the locos. For UK type double heading its not normally needed but some US modellers doing big trains with mid train helpers and stuff pretty much need it.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

trainsdownunder

Not normally too much of a problem under DC - is this using the new loco you got ?

Under DCC you can speed match. A frustrating process but pays dividends for smooth operation and prevents one loco pulling/pushing the other.

bbdave

does that mean it's ok to run two locos on one line on dc? i was always told not to do that by my dad, this could open up a whole new world!

Dave

Newportnobby

I run DC and have recently double headed Class 24's. With minimal wiring you can also have a train pull out of a station and release the previous train loco to follow it out.
A lot depends on your loco mix/make though. :hmmm:

weave

Thanks guys,

The layout is DC. Yes to trainsdownunder's question regarding new loco which only has a tomix motor and was converted to DCC but works on the DC. Might be a big problem as seems slower than the rest.

As the layout is a fictitious loop-line from the main Perpignan to the spanish border line and that at moment can't afford  catenary, thought I could have diesels pulling electrics and the train for extra interest (and realism because of say engineering works on the mainline).

However, don't want to break anything for the sake of realism.

Thanks Weave

trainsdownunder

Quote from: bbdave on September 09, 2012, 08:10:48 AM
does that mean it's ok to run two locos on one line on dc? i was always told not to do that by my dad, this could open up a whole new world!

Dave

My Dad used to say the same. I reckon it was because things weren't quite so reliable in the early days, in terms of quality  electrical wise.  I do know peple who do run double headers on DC with no apparent trouble. However, it was one of the reasons I went to DCC 

guest373

The number of locos that can be run at the same time depends on the power handling capacity of the controller.  On our club layout we often have 3 locos running on one controller with no problem.

Tony

scotsoft

When I have my Kato Santa Fe Super Chief F7 locos running in full consist pulling 12 Kato Super Chief passenger cars, all the locos are powered and in ABBA formation all running on one Kato DC Controller, lovely sight  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Zunnan

I run up to 7 locos off one gaugemaster controller, 4 unit head end with a 3 unit helper cut into the train about 40 cars from the front. 1:60 gradients and down to 12" curvature too with little fuss, but then US outline models are generally more consistent in their running qualities. I wouldn't try the same with Dapol/Farish models, but then UK outline doesn't call for complex lashups and helpers, its mostly double head and/or bankers. As long as you don't pass the controllers rated current output (cheapy trainset controllers will deliver 0.7A quite happily, which is comfortable for multiple N Gauge locos), you can run as many locos as it takes to reach that limit. A good number of controllers have an overload cutout, so its quite hard to do lasting damage.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

weave

Thanks again all,

However, its not so much the controller I'm worried about (got a gaugemaster one) or running two locos of the same make and type. Unless I missed something, can you burn a motor out if its dragging or pushing the other one of a different type and manufacturer?

Cheers Weave

scotsoft

As long as they have similar running speeds so one is not pulling or pushing the other too much it will be fine  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Zunnan

If you weight the train accordingly, the locomotive coupled to the train will be slowed by the weight of the train and the lead locomotive will simply add the grunt needed to get the train going. It 'should' do no more harm than running a heavy train with a single locomotive. They don't need to be perfectly speed matched, just so long as they're close. It is only when banking that you want the locomotives to be well matched, otherwise you can either stringline the train (slow loco at the rear) or push it off the rails (slow loco at the front). For regular double heading I tend to use the faster loco as the pilot, or the most powerful if there is a Union Mills loco involved, and let the second engine take up the slack from the train.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

greenlaneman

On my, currently existing on paper only, layout I am going to be double heading some mineral trains by using one motorised loco with second loco immediately behind being either a purpose made dummy or with motor, pickups and gears all removed. I don't intend to any front of house shunting with these fixed rakes, any shunting will be by Hand of God in the fiddle yard.
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

RichardBattersby

I used to double head under DC with no apparent problems. Haven't tried to do it now I'm on DCC yet, and only recently bought my USB adapter. Is it easy enough to sync two locos' speeds?
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations