Do you mix N Gauge (Scale) Countries?

Started by scottmitchell74, February 10, 2014, 02:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

What I mean is, does anyone run North American rolling stock on their British layout, or run Japanese on their German?

What I've always imagined on my layout is this...a short-line/branch-line that just bought what it could and acquired an old Japanese (or German, or British...whatever) locomotive at auction for a song and got it running for their roster.

Is that stupid? Is there real life precedence?

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

TBR

I Run a bit of everything, the New Zealand Rolling stock i have on the layout is British (Mk2's and a Farish 350) And the locomotives are American, Ive also got some EMU's from Kato that were modified into Melbourne EMU's

Komata

An interesting question, to which the answer is 'Yes - sort of'.

By this I mean that it can be done, BUT unless you undertake a very deliberate programme of raising roofs and standardising on a standard maximum-height (usually the height of the tallest piece of American rolling stock in their possession- which can be anything up to (scale) 20ft high) , the end result is visually VERY unappealing. 

I've been there, done that, and as as a result (and for other reasons which are beyond the scope of this reply), I evolved NZN-Freelance, the scale I now use exclusively for my modelling.

Because it is very visually-unappealing to try to 'mix your drinks', in this fashion, observation suggests that most modellers who have actually done what you are asking (mixing 'continents / countries' if you will), eventually decide that the 'mix' is not worth the effort, (and go to whatever 'continent / country' they have the most rolling stock and 'infrastructure' of.

I would emphasise however that what I have written are my own experiences, and would suggest that possibly others have been able to combine the various 'continents' successfully.

Hope that this helps.

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Pengi

I have a mixture of 1:160, 1:148 and a 1:150 rolling stock, 1:150 and 1:160 buildings and heaven knows what my cars and buses people and trees are  :oopssign:

My layout is fantasy so not too bothered about the mix of trains but I will run 1:160 with 1:160 etc. More noticeable are the buildings so 1:148 buildings are a no-no for me.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

tutenkhamunsleeping

It wasn't me running British and Japanese.  A big boy did it, then ran off! :-X

ParkeNd

I was just about to say "Don't be silly. That would mean running all those funny looking locos along with proper UK locos"

Then I saw all the people who do it!!

Could always call the layout eBayville

Geoff

Not done it yet but I am thinking of running Japanese with my British.

Rule 1 coming into the norm.
Geoff

ozzie Bill.

@TBR  Ive also got some EMU's from Kato that were modified into Melbourne EMU's
Would you please let me know what EMU's you used and what mods etc, as this really interests me. I model (try to model) Victoria and I want to put a suburban line in place. Thanks, Bill.

petercharlesfagg

I have never entertained any different thought!

Running model railways means to me fulfilling a fantasy so if my fantasy includes the miniatures from across the world regardless of matching scales then so be it!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

jonclox

I shall on 'Ruleoneshire' be running locos from different countries but it will be very selective. If I see a loco/stock that I like then I will buy and run it. The same will apply for differing eras (again being selective) 
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

EtchedPixels

It certainly needs care due to things like platform height differences being dramatic. Most stuff in nature is fairly flexibly scaled and if the buildings and a few other "tell tale" scale objects can be swapped by country then IMHO it works.

The more "nature" the easier - a double track non electrified bit of line with nothing but fences is quite different to a cityscape in this regard
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

ParkeNd

I suppose you could take the view that if it fits physically on the rails you can run it. What offends the man for whom running Sir Nigel Gresley on a West Country branchline is unacceptable would not necessarily be against the rules for the man with twin helixes and triple levels with minimal scenery. Rails is Rails.

mr magnolia

I'm currently having a background think about this same question.
id like to end up with three sets of stock - British 148, continental 160 and American 160 scales.
I can't possibly have three layouts so I'm pondering what to do about key things like platform heights. I've heard and seen some evidence of steps on British patients to allow train entry from low levels so that may be my way forward...

I'm going for minimal buildings so could perhaps have some that I can lift and replant to suit the location appropriately. I am obv. having to just have my own track layout rather than a the nation proto type arrangement but I think that's a part of the fun. railway layouts in two life arose from a complex mix of technology possibilities, business needs, engineers and owners fancies.
I'm the owner and engineer.

Komata

Mr M

Have you considering creating a fourth 'set' - Japanese, realising of course that they are 1:150 scale?

Just a thought you might care to consider.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations