Snowpiercer

Started by zwilnik, January 16, 2022, 01:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Has anyone watched Snowpiercer (film and now a TV series) on Netflix? (or read the book they're based on)

Essentially the story is the world's freezing over due to climate change and wars triggered by it and a super rich engineer builds a giant train as a perpetual motion machine and as an ark for humanity. It is of course more of a lifeboat for the super rich to live it up while everyone else dies, with just enough poor people on board to serve them.

The film is primarily a fight/action film as the hero battles his way to the engine from the stowaways at the back of the train. The TV series is a bit more nuanced. Less fighting (although still a lot) and more politics and character development. Also a lot more about the train itself.

Terrible science/engineering. But lots of fun :)

GAD

I saw it advertised and avoided it, like I do most fictional 'train' films.
My wife sits there in suspense, until the hero uncouples some coaches and both halves of the train keep on rolling along.  I then spoil it for her as I shout, 'What about the continuous brake?'

zwilnik

Quote from: GAD on January 16, 2022, 01:24:33 PM
My wife sits there in suspense, until the hero uncouples some coaches and both halves of the train keep on rolling along.  I then spoil it for her as I shout, 'What about the continuous brake?'

Ah, they at least give some 'reason' for this in the TV series. As it's a train that's meant to be constantly running (otherwise it runs out of power, because it's some magic science perpetual motion machine) they can even change bogies while on the move.

GAD

Quote from: zwilnik on January 16, 2022, 01:32:26 PM

Ah, they at least give some 'reason' for this in the TV series. As it's a train that's meant to be constantly running (otherwise it runs out of power, because it's some magic science perpetual motion machine) they can even change bogies while on the move.

:thankyousign:

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😅 That saves me having to watch it. I rather like Sci-Fi but not the ones that ignore physics entirely.

zwilnik

Ah, well into the 2nd season and there's a clue to the magic perpetual motion power. Turns out it's possibly a hydrogen based ramscoop sucking in snow as it moves along. That also explains why it needs to keep moving to generate power. I do get the impression the scriptwriters had to make that up to fix the totally magic science bit after fans mentioned it :)

Tank

Yes, I've seen them all.  I enjoyed it overall.  But yes, the science behind it isn't quite believable, but that doesn't really interfere with watching it.

Bealman

Sorry guys, sounds like a load of  :poop: to me  :no:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Quote from: Bealman on January 17, 2022, 12:35:41 AM
Sorry guys, sounds like a load of  :poop: to me  :no:

What a helpful comment... :no:

tutenkhamunsleeping

Good film. Enjoyed it enough to buy a copy :thumbsup:

Buffin

I watched the film without any idea what it was going to be about, or where it was going, and just found it a lot of fun.

Railwaygun

Quote from: Buffin on January 17, 2022, 09:54:02 AM
I watched the film without any idea what it was going to be about, or where it was going, and just found it a lot of fun.

It goes round in circles! ( Global ones)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

Seems quite realistic behaviour for anyone who's tried to run a mixed rake of Dapol and Farish Mk3, 2 and 1 stock.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations