100 Wagon Challenge

Started by Nik96, March 09, 2017, 01:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik96

Hi all,

Looking at something completely different to attempt, after a hiatus from my own modeling.

A 100 Wagon Challenge.

A sponsored event for a charity (undecided - I'm only using this as a sounding board) to build a 100 wagons. Lots of variation and I see no reason why not using various different medias.

Seeing as I more than likely wont have much need for the wagons after they could either be auctioned off or possibly given away. I'd like to get a plaque for each one etched that would make the weight of the wagon as well as being commemorative.

As always you guys never fail to think of the things I haven't...
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Newportnobby

A popular charity on this forum seems to be 'Help for Heroes'

N-Gauge-US

A nice idea. You may consider getting a number of peco kits and Robbie's rolling stock transfers, and making up a number of unusual wagons. They would sell a little better and hopefully make a few £ each for whichever charity you choose :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Nik96

I'm wondering if maybe a wider range of scales would also pay off.

After all this relies on sales at the end to raise the majority of the money.

Steamie+

That is a good idea but unfortunately i wouldn't buy any of them has i am doing my own charity for the British Heart Foundation this year, it is going to be a 12 month sponsor, so any spare money and time will be given to that.

Good luck with you challenge and i hope you raise lots for what ever charity you decide to do, if you do anything for BHF i would gladly give to it.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Happy Modelling    :beers:

Steamie+

njee20

Would it be a speed thing, or doing them all in one go, or just building 100 wagons as and when and selling for charity? I presume one of the former! Certainly commendable.

My concern would be generating enough publicity that people actually want to pay more (/pay at all) for something which may have been hurriedly put together or done when you're a bit knackered!

zwilnik

This sounds like one where pre-order crowdfunding would be ideal. It lowers the risk of making a loss from buying all the kits and supplies and not selling enough as well as allowing buyers to choose from a selection of models (possibly even allowing a more expensive "your name here" option).
Another thing it does is lets you set a deadline for the sales so you can have everything ready for a specific date to do the building & painting.

Nik96

Quote from: njee20 on March 13, 2017, 07:49:56 AM
Would it be a speed thing, or doing them all in one go, or just building 100 wagons as and when and selling for charity? I presume one of the former! Certainly commendable.

My concern would be generating enough publicity that people actually want to pay more (/pay at all) for something which may have been hurriedly put together or done when you're a bit knackered!

Very valid point on what people would actually wish to purchase.

I was running on the basis that these would be done over a period of time to an extent as and when allowed but also using a big exhibition as the finale. (something like the Warley show). It would not only give me time to build but also give time to drum up the interest with the hobbyists.

Nik96

Quote from: Zwilnik on March 13, 2017, 09:20:14 AM
This sounds like one where pre-order crowdfunding would be ideal. It lowers the risk of making a loss from buying all the kits and supplies and not selling enough as well as allowing buyers to choose from a selection of models (possibly even allowing a more expensive "your name here" option).
Another thing it does is lets you set a deadline for the sales so you can have everything ready for a specific date to do the building & painting.

I never thought to include a pre-order type function to it. As you say after beg borrowing and stealing wagon kits the last thing that wants to be done is to lose money even with a charity fundraiser.

njee20

Mmm, yes, you definitely need to make sure you're publicising it as much as possible.

In the nicest possible sense, simply building 100 wagons and selling them for charity is commendable, but potentially unremarkable. Zwilnik's pre-order crowdfunding plan is a good one, just make sure you're realistic with your timelines, and show examples of your work I would suggest.

Calnefoxile

have you thought about having a chat with the N Gauge Society?? They used to do Kit Building with kids or people who'd never done kit building before, on their stand and they used to use one of the easy vans or opens. They might have a bucket full of kits that they may be willing to donate.

Try contacting @Mirrlees  or @free debt man they may be able to help.

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. If you get the transfers made, then the could be consecutive numbers so each one's different.

TylerB

I like the idea of a speed wagon building challenge, maybe if you spoke to one of the manufacturers and said I'm going to attempt to build X number of wagons in one weekend they might sponsor it in some way - especially if you did the building at an exhibition, such as the N gauge show for example (they had a 'build a layout in a weekend' display there one year, I remember).

How many wagons could you build in 2 x 8 hour show days I wonder?

Nik96

I'm not sure how many you could build, it's one of those how long is a piece of rail questions  :laugh:

It seems I need to devise a way of adding a challenge element of building so many wagons...

I'm trying to think of a scale consist that has some length. Surely we must have a record in this country? Think 9F and Mineral wagons... It'd allow the challenge element of building a scale length train in a weekend. We need a large layout and a willing club...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations