visiting UK, very soon

Started by ozzie Bill., May 29, 2016, 09:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie Bill.

Good morning
I apologize in advance that I have left this rather late as a request.
I wil be visiting UK, arriving 5 June in Kent, nr. Tonbridge, then down to Bristol on the following w/end 10/11 June, then back to Kent and leave UK for US on 15th.
I have booked a big train ride, with my wife, that runs south from Chicago then west to LA. That's a 40 hr trip, so should satiate the "railfanning" side of life, however, I am wondering whether there are things in UK I should/could look at. I am stopping off in Swindon on the night of 10, but have been to Steam before and also have a date at a Triumph dealership to look at shiny things for motorbikes!
However, are there other compelling visits I should make, given the time frame I have outlined above?
Cheers and thanks in advance for any ideas - model shops, exhibitions or heritage rides particularly.
Bill.

Bealman

All I can say Bill, is, take lots of pics and share them with us!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on May 29, 2016, 09:14:57 AM
However, are there other compelling visits I should make, given the time frame I have outlined above?
Cheers and thanks in advance for any ideas - model shops, exhibitions or heritage rides particularly.
Bill.

What about pubs? If you're staying in Swindon you have to visit the Gluepot. The pub gets its name from the railway coachbuilders who would bring their gluepots with them when they took their breaks and would place their pots on the central stove to keep them hot. That's about the only railway connection I'm afraid but their selection of Hopback beers is excellent!
Spot-on models in Swindon is also worth a little look and not far from the Gluepot either  :beers:

I'll let others recommend other places as they will know a lot more than me.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tom U

If you are passing by Brighton, the British Engineerium near Brighton/Hove is well worth a visit.  Static steam engines, huge pumping engines.  I haven't been for decades as I moved away, but I imagine it will still be there and functioning.

Tom U

Quote from: Tom U on May 29, 2016, 11:14:02 AM
If you are passing by Brighton, the British Engineerium near Brighton/Hove is well worth a visit.  Static steam engines, huge pumping engines.  I haven't been for decades as I moved away, but I imagine it will still be there and functioning.

Ooops, should have checked before posting...it may now be closed except for special exhibition days.  Best to check in advance if you are interested.  Perhaps someone who lives near has good info?

Tom.

ozzie Bill.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll do my best with pix, I promise.
Cheers, Bill

Webbo

Hi Bill

I just returned to Oz a week ago after 2 weeks in the UK spent mainly in the highlands of Scotland. During my time I did make a foray down to the National Railway Museum in York. A bit of rail travelling involved, but this was part of the enjoyable experience and the NRM is terrific. Well worth it.

For me, the 40 hours on the US train trip would not satiate my appetite, but would only make it worse. You'll love it.

Happy travels.
Webbo

TylerB

If you are over-nighting in Swindon on June 10th, you're just a short journey away from the Didcot Railway Centre, which is definitely worth a visit. Go on the 11th and its a steam day

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/events/steam_days.html

Bob Tidbury

:hellosign: Bill if you've got the time and you do visit Didcot then a visit to PENDON Museum is worthwhile it's not N gauge but some amazing modelling in a scene 70ft by 30 ft all buildings and trees etc scratch built as is most of the rolling stock.It also boasts one of ,if not the oldest model railway in existence .Its only three miles from Didcot so you could do both in a day Didcot in the morning lunch in a pub in the village of Wittenham leave your car in the carpark and a stroll down to the Museum as they only have a small carpark on site.
They do have a website with more information.
Regards
Bob

Bealman

Yes indeed. The work of the late Roy English,  who came from Australia.

Haven't been to Pendon, but came close three times in the last 6 years.

I'm still kickin' meself.   :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

Bealman next time your in the UK make sure you go you will not be disappointed .
Bob

longbridge

The trip from Chicago to LA has to be one of the great railway trips of the world, Highlights include the Book Cliffs in Utah, rugged scenery at its best, if my memory serves me right I think the train also runs through Tehachapi Pass, awesome.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

ozzie Bill.

Some great suggestions here, thank you. Not sure if I have time (family commitments) for both Pendon and Didcot, but will bust a boiler to do at least one.
Also thanks for the hear-ds up re the Tehachapi pass, I'll check on that.
Cheers all, Bill.,

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £75.23
Below Goal: £24.77
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations