Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

surprising, as most of them have been to university !

perhaps that's the problem ...

got a degree ...

but

got no  :censored: idea of how to do the job  :veryangry:

stevewalker

Quote from: steve836 on November 20, 2020, 01:54:53 PM
I'm old enough to remember when you could send something through the GPO and be sure it would arrive the next day.

A few years ago, MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) in Manchester had a display of telephone and postal items. Amongst them were postcards, from Victorian times (IIRC), sent in the morning and requesting an RSVP for Tea THAT AFTERNOON.

There was also a letter from a solicitor in Manchester, to one in Liverpool, expecting to receive a reply before close of business the same day.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: stevewalker on November 20, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: steve836 on November 20, 2020, 01:54:53 PM
I'm old enough to remember when you could send something through the GPO and be sure it would arrive the next day.

A few years ago, MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) in Manchester had a display of telephone and postal items. Amongst them were postcards, from Victorian times (IIRC), sent in the morning and requesting an RSVP for Tea THAT AFTERNOON.

There was also a letter from a solicitor in Manchester, to one in Liverpool, expecting to receive a reply before close of business the same day.

That was back in the day when people were very very cheap to employ so there were lots of them to do things.

guest311

when I lft school in the 60's, several of my friends were looking at ...

leave school
apprenticeship
job

stay with firm

make foreman

stay with firm

maybe make manager

retire at 65 with 50 years service ans a good pension, and a watch [not made in china]

no chance of that  now...

chances of an apprenticeship  :hmmm:

chance of a job after  :hmmm:

chances of working for the same firm for 50 years  :poop:

chances of actually getting further up the ladder  zilch, 'management' need to be university graduates

don't of course need to know sod all about the job, just have a bit of paper.

remember when nurses were

student nurse
SEN
SRN
maybe Sister
if very lucky Matron

heaven help us

themadhippy

Quotechances of an apprenticeship
Theirs plenty of apprenticeships available,in coffee making,cleaning,shop assistant and several other very highly skilled jobs that require years of training.Of course there not a loop hole to paying below the minimum wage,nor do they devalue the apprenticeship  scheme of old.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Skyline2uk

Whilst I agree that the labour market and job retention / progression is perhaps not what it once was...

...There are exceptions.

I actually know of one firm that has a very competitive apprentice program. It is of course heavily over subscribed, but said firm has had at least one CEO who started off in this way.

I certainly will be encouraging Mini Skyline to consider all possible routes into employment.

Skyline2uk

Trainfish

Quote from: Skyline2uk on November 20, 2020, 04:59:10 PM

I certainly will be encouraging Mini Skyline to consider all possible routes into employment.

Skyline2uk

Not too soon I hope. Not until the new year at least  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Trainfish on November 20, 2020, 08:15:25 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on November 20, 2020, 04:59:10 PM

Skyline2uk

Not too soon I hope. Not until the new year at least  :goggleeyes:

What? And have him miss prime chimney sweeping season?!

Humbug  >:D

Skyline2uk

Bealman

Wasn't sure where to post this - happy thread, angry thread, so I put it here. Perhaps we should have a shell shocked thread.

We have no NHS in Oz..... you basically need to pay into a private health fund or you're dead in the water, so to speak. Mrs Bealman informed me this morning that she found out from our health fund that the total cost of my two months stay in hospital at the start of 2019, including theatre fees, etc etc amounted to A$70,000!!!

Almost had to be re-admitted!

Thank God we pay for top cover.  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on December 01, 2020, 03:47:16 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this - happy thread, angry thread, so I put it here. Perhaps we should have a shell shocked thread.

We have no NHS in Oz..... you basically need to pay into a private health fund or you're dead in the water, so to speak. Mrs Bealman informed me this morning that she found out from our health fund that the total cost of my two months stay in hospital at the start of 2019, including theatre fees, etc etc amounted to A$70,000!!!

Well it's nice to hear they support the performing arts, at least. Were the plays any good?

Bealman

Ha bloody Ha.  :D

I do know I watched a lot of movies!

Graham

I know what you mean, i just found the ability to check our spend on our health fund and found they had paid out over $100K in the last 12mths for SWMBO's various stays.

Bealman

TrevL

Kinell!!!
What is the monthly premium?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

A lot. It is one of the biggest deductions from the joint Bealman income.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations