brandy
whisky
whiskey
rum
gin

:beers:

Skyline2uk

Not angry yet, but not overjoyed.

What's peoples experience with Royal Mail at the moment?

Bought the Mrs Christmas present via evil bay and only after checking out noticed it was "recorded second class".

This means the seller is woefully under insured for the item, but also means it had a 5 day estimate on delivery.

That's came and gone with no sign and I can't get the tracking number to work.

I know it's my actually a tracking number, but would be nice if it did something.

Is Royal Mail swamped right now?

Skyline2uk 

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Skyline2uk on November 20, 2020, 12:11:08 PM
Not angry yet, but not overjoyed.

What's peoples experience with Royal Mail at the moment?

Bought the Mrs Christmas present via evil bay and only after checking out noticed it was "recorded second class".

This means the seller is woefully under insured for the item, but also means it had a 5 day estimate on delivery.

That's came and gone with no sign and I can't get the tracking number to work.

I know it's my actually a tracking number, but would be nice if it did something.

Is Royal Mail swamped right now?

Skyline2uk

Yes they are swamped, also a tracking number is issued and "dispatched" marked long before the item leaves the vendors building.  If the bulk pickup by Royal Mail is delayed it can be sitting in the vendors premises for days and it will only show on Royal Mail tracking when it gets to a sorting office.

Skyline2uk

Humph.

Well why the hell send an item of this value that way?

Oh well, PayPal dispute if it came to it.

More annoyed at the idea of finding something else!

Skyline2uk

joe cassidy

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 19, 2020, 04:47:54 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on November 19, 2020, 04:22:13 PM
Has Benny Hill been banned in the UK ?

Not as far as I know but Mr. Pastry has been banned for being a tart

He should've been banned for not being funny.

guest311

re reply #2066, mostly I've found 2nd signed for pretty good, but there have been exceptions, in one case I posted a parcel to a member in an Oxford post code, which arrived 15 days later, while a parcel to me, also from an Oxford postcode arrived the next day.

my worst one was a second class signed for posted the same day as a order from China was despatched, that arrived three days before the 2nd signed for.

these days, for anything over £50, I recomment special delivery, next day by 16:00 at the moment, and not had one parcel fail that, insured for £500, as opposed to £50, and you can choose which day to post, so if someone will be home friday, post it thursday, rather than just sending it and hoping it arrives when someone is there, sods law says it will arrive the one day there is no one there to accept it.

but, overall, I think RM is actually doing an amazing job in the circumstances, just wish bills sent 2nd class didn't always arrive the next day  :'(

Trainfish

Quote from: class37025 on November 20, 2020, 01:26:49 PM
.......... you can choose which day to post, so if someone will be home friday, post it thursday,.............

..............but, overall, I think RM is actually doing an amazing job in the circumstances, just wish bills sent 2nd class didn't always arrive the next day  :'(

Or in some cases if someone (the wife) will be at work on Friday, post it Thursday  :D

I also agree that in general the Post Office/Royal Mail are doing an excellent job. Remember though that there are often restrictions at the sorting offices. We had one at the Swindon depot which lasted about 2 weeks and disrupted all deliveries in the area.

On the subject of tracking and eBay, I have sold/sent various items recently. I use online click & drop and as soon as you print that label eBay says it has been dispatched! I tell people I will post within 5 days and this message from eBay doesn't help. I usually manage to post the next day if everyone has paid but people do expect items to arrive within 2 days of that notification.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

steve836

I'm old enough to remember when you could send something through the GPO and be sure it would arrive the next day.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Trainfish

I remember when I was buying my first house I sent a 2nd class letter to my solicitor one morning. I had a call from him that afternoon for sending it back so promptly! Turns out after speaking to someone who works at Devixes sorting office that everything sent 1st class went to Swindon for sorting. Everything sent 2nd class was sorted in Devizes so if it ended up in the pigeon hole before that round had been collected it went out the same day! It doesn't work that way now, everything goes to Swindon for sorting  :(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Skyline2uk

Generally I am happy with Royal Mail and certainly have trusted their Special Delivery with some rather special items recently.

It's this eBay seller not using Special Delivery that sort of riles. It was free postage but I would much rather have paid for special!

Skyline2uk

guest311

Quote from: steve836 on November 20, 2020, 01:54:53 PM
I'm old enough to remember when you could send something through the GPO and be sure it would arrive the next day.

and 1st and 2nd deliveries every day, now you are lucky to get one a day.

never been the same, as so many things, since it got flogged off, [didn't it call itself consignia or some such
for a while ] the guys on the front line are great, IMHO, it's the  :censored: management and bean counters that muck everything up.

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on November 20, 2020, 02:37:05 PM
it's the  :censored: management and bean counters that muck everything up.

Which seems to be the case with most businesses that are bigger than a 'small business'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations