Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I must plead guilty to always following the sage advice of a substantive cpl when I was in the Gulf.

'always drink standing at the bar'

ok I fell for it
'why?'

'it's easier to sit down when you are standing, than stand up when you are sitting. mines a double  :beers:'

I used to be so gullible.

daffy

David, great news on your two year abstention. :thumbsup: So having proved that can be done, now is the time to continue the treatment and wean yourself off the nicotine altogether. Vaping costs money too, so just think of all the new trains you can buy with the dosh that currently swells the coffers of the Vape Shop.

I used to smoke up to 30 a day and gave up altogether practically overnight (pre-vaping) finding I needed a new habit to occupy fag free nicotine deprived fidgety fingers. In your case, may I suggest those new trains?

Good wishes and here's to the end of the nicotine road.  :beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Papyrus

Well done, @dannyboy , that's a good milestone. I've never smoked and never wanted to, but when I was about 16 my Dad promised me £100 (a lot of money then) if I didn't smoke before I was 21. Easiest £100 I ever earned. My first wife was a smoker. When we got married I told myself I would get used to it but I never did. Mrs Papyrus II gave up the weed long before we met.

It's very interesting how seeing someone smoking on the streets is so rare now you remark on it. Similarly, old TV programmes from 20 years ago when they show people smoking in offices and pubs just seems so wrong now.

Cheers,

Chris

stevewalker

I'm lucky enough to never have started smoking, but my wife did. She gave up when we wanted to try for children and, with the eldest 18, she still doesn't smoke. My father smoked, but managed to give up, but one day, the directors had him inform a number of people, one by one, that they were being made redundant. He was stressed by it, someone offered him a cigarette and he went back to it. Five or six years later, I gave him a pack on Nicotine patches for father's day - I don't think he even used them (he certainly didn't buy any more packs), but he gave up immediately and hasn't smoked for 30 years.

Dorsetmike

Another 50 year smoker, 20+ per day, gave it up back in 2002 or 3, local GP practice was running a stop smoking "class" 2 evenings a week for 6 weeks wife and I both stopped on the appointed day, not had one since; still got clogged tubes in the lungs so nothing strenuous these days, can't remember the last tine I broke into a trot let alone running.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Trainfish

Quote from: stevewalker on September 24, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
...................... I gave him a pack on Nicotine patches for father's day - I don't think he even used them (he certainly didn't buy any more packs), but he gave up immediately and hasn't smoked for 30 years.

I tried the patches a few years ago but they gave off an awful smell when you lit them and they tasted disgusting too  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

I was an expert on giving up. Did it many times before being successful. That was in 1998 when I was diagnosed as being diabetic. The bumpf I got on diagnosis said I would have breathing difficulties if I smoked so I gave up.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

grumbeast

Ok,

SO this is Good but bittersweet news, and I have so few people to share it with I thought I'd share it with you guys to bring some culture to the place ;)

My 14 year old Daughter successfully auditioned for and is now studying at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School!  It means she's 2500km and I miss her like a hole in my heart but she's happy, healthy and living her best life and I couldn't be more proud!! (she also got into Canada's National Ballet School, but bloody COVID restrictions mean't they didn't have room this year) .. Here's a pic cause you know..  I have to share pics.. and she likes trains (though not like we do!)

Graham

daffy

What a great achievement and thank you for posting the photo - she looks already like a star! Here's wishing her a happy and successful future. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

A wonderful achievement indeed.
You must be very proud.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

Now that is something for a Dad to be proud of! Your daughter is obviously a very talented dancer and congratulations to her. 2500Km is not that far in this day of age. :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Papyrus

What a wonderful photograph! I bet you are going to frame it and put it on the wall! She is obviously a very talented young lady and I wish her every success.

Cheers,

Chris

Papyrus

Finally bottled the last demijohn of sloe gin from last year's bumper harvest! Final total, 32.5 bottles from approximately 25kg of sloes - the most we've ever made. It was just as well as the crop this year was very poor, so it means we can relax for a year or two.

Happy happy days...

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

But Shirley 5 bottles won't last 12-24 months?
It's enough to get 'relaxed' but not over that period of time :no:

joe cassidy

I read "32.5 bottles" ?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations