3 Track Layout Power Supplies

Started by Tdm, September 25, 2014, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

I run 3 trains simultaneously on my layout although I only have a Morley 2 Track Controller (see drawing below). Currently I have split one of the power feeds to the track so that it serves 2 Tracks not just one, with a standard lamp switch in the circuit so I can completely isolate the 3rd Track if I want to.

The system works but I cannot change the speed of the 3rd Track from what is feeding the 2nd Track (ie. trains on Tracks 2 & 3 run at the same speed).

Without purchasing an additional controller (haven't found any cheap ones to-date) is there any way I can insert a simple kind of voltage power control knob? (I am not all that knowlegeable about electrics) where I have indicated - knob "X" on the drawing, and what would I ask for at an electrical store or Maplins as I am over in the U.K. soon?.

Obviously if fitted it would still be dependant on power control knob 2 for the number of volts it itself received, but that wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't want the Track 3 train to run faster than Track 2 train, just slower or the same speed.

Done a search on the net but don't know exactly what I am looking for, if such a thing exists.

Malc

I would think a simple way would be to use a wire wound potentiometer, probably a low resistance wired with the wiper and one end of the track in one leg of the power feed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

PostModN66

Hmmmm......

What you are describing by a "voltage power control knob" is, in fact, another controller!

The easiest solution might be e-bay.......for example one from a train set that someone doesn't want.  They sometimes are available cheaply.  The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't run on 16Vac, as I don't think your Morley has this, so you would need one that runs from a mains power-pack.

Cheers

Jon
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Tdm

I was hoping to avoid another "adapter", or certainly not one with a British style plug on it. I would have bought a Gaugemaster Combi-EU (which has the 2 pin continental plug) but they are not yet available.  Have already got extensions on extensions in my storeroom and was trying to avoid using yet another 220 volt supply (they are not 240 volts here) or something is going to blow. Was hoping for something to use the existing 12 volt supply the Morley is giving me which I can vary from 0 to 12 volts.

martink

Well, yes, in theory you could add a controller where you planned.  Pretty much any basic controller that wants 16V AC will also run off DC (from a transformer, not a smoothed supply from a DC plugpack), so it would work...

But....

The top speed will likely be significantly lower than the setting of your track #2 controller (most controllers have a minimum voltage drop of about 2V between input and track);
We are only talking about very simple controllers here - a more complex unit could need an steady input of at least 8-10V to function at all;
If there is any sort of crossover or other connection between tracks 2 and 3, you might also get nasty short circuits if the two controllers running off the same power supply are set to opposing directions.

So...

Your best bet is to simply get that third controller and whatever power supply it needs.

phil s

Quote from: Tdm on September 25, 2014, 05:50:54 PM
I run 3 trains simultaneously on my layout although I only have a Morley 2 Track Controller (see drawing below). Currently I have split one of the power feeds to the track so that it serves 2 Tracks not just one, with a standard lamp switch in the circuit so I can completely isolate the 3rd Track if I want to.

The system works but I cannot change the speed of the 3rd Track from what is feeding the 2nd Track (ie. trains on Tracks 2 & 3 run at the same speed).

Without purchasing an additional controller (haven't found any cheap ones to-date) is there any way I can insert a simple kind of voltage power control knob? (I am not all that knowlegeable about electrics) where I have indicated - knob "X" on the drawing, and what would I ask for at an electrical store or Maplins as I am over in the U.K. soon?.

Obviously if fitted it would still be dependant on power control knob 2 for the number of volts it itself received, but that wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't want the Track 3 train to run faster than Track 2 train, just slower or the same speed.

Done a search on the net but don't know exactly what I am looking for, if such a thing exists.

[/quote

where you have the 3rd track conected to the 2nd track, do your 2 wires go from the on/of switch to the controler then to the 3rd track or are they straight conected to the 3rd line with the controller conected to them

phil

Tdm

Phil - I put a small junction box on the output wires from Track 2. 2 wires go directly to Track 2, and the other 2 wires go first to the "switch" and then to Track 3 if the switch is in the "On" position, or Track 3 is "dead" if in the "Off" position. Exactly as per the diagram the "black" square representing the simple junction box - 2 wires In - 4 wires Out.

When the 2 trains are running together (switch is "On"), both run at a reasonable speed with hardly any loss in power compared to when the switch is in the "Off" position and only 1 train is running.

Although in "theory" both trains should run at the same speed as both are getting the same amount of power, some trains seem to be much more powerful than others and run quicker.

Union Mills engines run much faster than say Farish or Dapol engines and they seem to be "tearing" round the track when other engines are at not much more than walking pace given the same degree of power from the Controller.   

PostModN66

Hi TDM,

I have thought of a dodge you could do to just get a particular loco to go slower under your scheme.  You could use a simple resistor on a switch. I would go for a fairly hefty wire-wound one that would cost about 50p (smaller ones would overheat).

You could work out the approx required value using ohms law (if you have a multimeter). 

You could switch it in and out to match the loco you are using.  Not "controllable" but would bring the speed down.

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Malc

As I posted earlier, a wire wound potentiometer used as a series resistor in one leg of the feed to the 3rd circuit would work.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

phil s

Quote from: Tdm on September 25, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
Phil - I put a small junction box on the output wires from Track 2. 2 wires go directly to Track 2, and the other 2 wires go first to the "switch" and then to Track 3 if the switch is in the "On" position, or Track 3 is "dead" if in the "Off" position. Exactly as per the diagram the "black" square representing the simple junction box - 2 wires In - 4 wires Out.

When the 2 trains are running together (switch is "On"), both run at a reasonable speed with hardly any loss in power compared to when the switch is in the "Off" position and only 1 train is running.

Although in "theory" both trains should run at the same speed as both are getting the same amount of power, some trains seem to be much more powerful than others and run quicker.

Union Mills engines run much faster than say Farish or Dapol engines and they seem to be "tearing" round the track when other engines are at not much more than walking pace given the same degree of power from the Controller.

the only thing i can think of if you have the wires going into and out of the voltage controll knob are touching somewhere so there is a continous connection rather than you being in control, or there is a problem with the controll knob its self

phil

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations