Storage Boxes for locos and stock

Started by Donkey, June 21, 2012, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

I've often wondered what people  who use these storage boxes do with the boxes the models came in.

I keep the loco boxes and book set cases, but the others is a bit hit and miss, try and keep boxes for some passengers stock but not freight.

What do you folks do?

Ray

Paddy

Hi Marty,

I use the foam inlays and they are excellent.  When I bought mine there were two types: the one with continuous slots and one with lots of individual holes.  The latter fit 12 ton box vans etc.  To be frank the multi hole ones are less useful and I would not buy them again.

If you click on my layout link below for HOLLERTON JUNCTION you will see the storage towers I use (you will need to click forward a few pages).

Hope this helps.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

sparky

I keep my locos in the foam storage boxes between running them..all the coaches and wagons are left out on the track ....as to the original boxes I keep them all stored in a few large cardboard boxes as if I want to sell anything in the future the original boxes help the resale value I think ... The wagons and coaches are fixed rakes..

johnlambert

Most of my stock lives in black carry cases with foam trays, except that I seem to buy stock faster than I buy storage :(  The original boxes go in big storage boxes in my loft so that I can sell things with the original box if necessary.  I also keep some stuff in a couple of small display cases in my living room, it is nice to be able to enjoy some of my collection even when I can't run it.

portland-docks

Quote from: scotrail on June 19, 2014, 06:01:45 PM
Hi guys

I am going to buy some of these foam storage things from the chap on ebay (the ones in blue box), thanks for the tip

My two questions;

Do they work ok without the blue box? thinking of getting a stack of just the foam trays and putting them inside a bigger box

Secondly; Which ones do people use as I see there are a few options? (basically what can i get the most in) would be to fit diesels (class 47, 66 etc), wagons, mk 3 and mk 4 coaches. no steam era stuff

cheers

Can i suggesta better option?

£30 for a large carboard carry box with 5 foam trays which each tray can hold 14 locos/coaches. I have2 ans they arebetter value for money i believe

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

scotrail

Quote from: portland-docks on June 19, 2014, 10:27:48 PM
Hi guys

I am going to buy some of these foam storage things from the chap on ebay (the ones in blue box), thanks for the tip

My two questions;

Do they work ok without the blue box? thinking of getting a stack of just the foam trays and putting them inside a bigger box

Secondly; Which ones do people use as I see there are a few options? (basically what can i get the most in) would be to fit diesels (class 47, 66 etc), wagons, mk 3 and mk 4 coaches. no steam era stuff

cheers

£30 for a large carboard carry box with 5 foam trays which each tray can hold 14 locos/coaches. I have2 ans they arebetter value for money i believe

Paul

Sounds promising, where would I find it? If you have a link that would be great!

portland-docks

Quote from: scotrail on June 20, 2014, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: portland-docks on June 19, 2014, 10:27:48 PM
Hi guys

My two questions;

cheers

Paul

Sounds promising, where would I find it? If you have a link that would be great!

this is what i have two of john, i think they do the trick as they store alot of locos/ coaches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-N-Gauge-Railway-Train-Foam-Tray-Insert-Cardboard-Carry-Case-Storage-Box-/121247213046?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c3ae5a5f6

and for £30 you cant complain!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations