Small layout help

Started by gman3000, June 26, 2014, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman3000

Hi I'm new to  N gauge, I had a 00 many years ago.
I want to build a small circle track using most likely peco track. What radius curves will I need to get smallest circle please?

Thanks

scotsoft

Welcome to the forum gman3000  :NGaugersRule:

The locos you want to run will dictate which radii you go for  ;)

cheers John.

silly moo

Welcome to the forum.

Peco makes 1st radius curves of 9 inches but a lot of the newer locomotives are designed for 2nd radius curves.

If using 1st radius curves you will need to buy small tank engines or diesel shunters to guarantee they run on your layout.

If you have a bit more space then 2nd radius curves will allow you to run a lot more.

The Peco website has quite a bit of information about all their track and supposedly has templates that you can download but the links didn't work so I had to email them to get templates.

gman3000

I'm trying to understand the relation between radius and what the overall circle width will be.

Thansk

port perran

Could you give us an idea of what size baseboard you are going to have?
Someone can then give a bit more advice as to what curves would suit etc.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Agrippa

Radius is distance from centre of the circle to the track, equals half the diameter
which is total width of the circle. Small diesel locos with bogies like class 25 can
run on fairly small circles.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

gman3000

The smallest possible as in a small flat.

Agrippa

In that case you should be able to have a layout with a diameter of about 18 inches to 24 inches.

port perran

Just a thought. Could you have an end to end layout ? That might provide you with a better use of space if space is at a premium and give you scope for more operational interest. As an example, you could fit quite a bit onto a board of say 4ft by 18inches.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

gman3000

So peco radius 1 are 9"" so that diameter of 18""

Geoff

Why not download Anyrail then you can plan your layout better and you will be able to see what radius track will fit in the space you have.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
Geoff

Agrippa

Quote from: gman3000 on June 26, 2014, 09:51:31 PM
So peco radius 1 are 9"" so that diameter of 18""

That's it exactly! Radius always half the diameter.

Tom U

Am I correct in thinking that the radius is measured to the centre line of the rails, not to the outer edge of the track? 

Sprintex

Bealman

Welcome to the forum, gman3000!  :wave:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations