Started by sparrowhawk, April 11, 2020, 10:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrowhawk

If anybody could help me out to correctly place signals and what signal
required I would be truely grateful as I struggle to fully understand the
correct method often placing to many .Any help  wouls be great
It is for era 5/6 wit mainly semaphore signals , western region

Delfin

Could you also label the other running lines and sidings?  Also give a broad idea as to how you intend to operate it.  For instance only some of the platform lines could be used for departures and only some for arrivals assuming the four running lines shown are two arrivals and two departures.  Are there engine servicing sidings?  Etc.

sparrowhawk

Attached is the layout that I am building , in answer to your question I have slightly modified the station approach to allow entry and departure from any platform to the correct mainline .This set of points will be on the next section of board..
The single line off platform 6 is the line to the shed and further up is the two lane
refuelling point.
The two sidings off platform one the short one is used for loco storage and the
longer one for stock.

Delfin

You are going to need a fair amount of signals for this one, indeed I imagine that the station throat will extend a good way further out than you have drawn it once you come to build it. It would be worth drawing out using one of the many track design programs you can get these days to get a better idea of this.  The layout calls out for rationalisation! Anyway, you need:-

1.  A starting signal for each platform plus ground signals, one for each route or a single with an indicator.

2.  A home signal outside the station clear of the two crossovers between the mains.  This will have a theatre indicator to show which platform the train is being routed to.  There will also be a ground signal with some sort of indicator, although see 3.

3.  Ground signals for the entry to and exit from each siding which connects to a main line.  Don't forget that the sidings should have a trap point where they meet a passenger line.  Additionally the GWR tended to have further ground signal(s) at each point on a route within the station limits to prove the locking on the points.  Where there are two (or more) routes from a ground signal a separate ground signal would usually be provided for each one, probably mounted one above the other.

4.  The distant signal would be fixed at caution and probably be mounted under the section signal of the previous signal box.

5.  The points within the shed/refuelling sidings and the storage sidings would be worked by a shunter (a person, not the locomotive) and so don't need to be signalled.

There are probably further complications lurking, but that's enough for now.  Good luck.

sparrowhawk

Many thanks for taking the time to provide some help would it be correct to
maybe have a gantry at or just beyond the inbound 3 way point spanning the
4 roads?

Delfin

I would put a gantry before the two crossovers (as you approach the station). Then the signals would cover all routes into the station.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations