Dapol mark 3 help!

Started by 1936ace, November 22, 2012, 03:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all, I have posted previously about my annoyance with Dapol and their on again off again attitude with these coaches. Can anyone tell me if the loco hauled mk3 coaChe's are the same as the hst ones. If they are is it easy to remove the buffers from them. I see Hattons have some and thought I could maybe get these if they were identical as I want to get the little guys hst up and running and have been waiting for over twelve months for the ones I preordered at the same times preordered the hst
Thanks in advance for the help
Bart

Chetcombe

Quote from: 1936ace on November 22, 2012, 03:29:15 AM
Hi all, I have posted previously about my annoyance with Dapol and their on again off again attitude with these coaches. Can anyone tell me if the loco hauled mk3 coaChe's are the same as the hst ones. If they are is it easy to remove the buffers from them. I see Hattons have some and thought I could maybe get these if they were identical as I want to get the little guys hst up and running and have been waiting for over twelve months for the ones I preordered at the same times preordered the hst
Thanks in advance for the help
Bart

It depends on the livery you are interested in. If it is the blue/grey coaches there is an important difference - the HST coaches without buffers have 'Inter City 125' inscribed, whereas the loco hauled stock with buffers only have 'Inter City'. Others may comment on more 'modern' color schemes!

Having said that, I am equally frustrated by the lack of new Mk3 coaches from Dapol. I have 5 blue/grey Dapol 'Inter City 125' coaches and have sneaked in a TSO 'Inter City' with buffers amongst them so I can run a 6 coach HST - you would have to have pretty keen eyes to notice ;)

Having said that - please hurry up with the buffet cars Dapol cos I can't disguise the lack of those!!!

Mike
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

1936ace

Hi, thanks for that.
I had them on pre order but received an email from Hattons that they had been cancelled by dapol. I know he is only just turned four but the ONLY train that matters is the xpt( our version of the hst) and he gets a little upset if people try and tell him otherwise. He is happy and has been known to run coal wagons, mk1's even a breakdown crane behind it but I would like to get him some stars so it at least is sort of right. I have the blue Pullman on order coming soon and don't want a melt down because his hst only has two coaches.
Yes bring on the blue and grey please, apparently they were release well before the hst were announce and before I got into the hobby so I'm told, why dapol would sell coaches when there is no power cars released surelys it can't be that hard, they have a product people want
Bart

Jack

Just a thought and thinking out of the box a little, what about buying some ebay GF Mk3's and getting some Electra vinyls in the livery that you're after. Drop Adam an email, he's very helpful.

One of my medium to long term goals is to make up a FGW "Fag Packet" HST and this is what I'll have to do.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

1936ace

Hey mate, thanks for that idea. I have never done vinyl covering before, I suppose that's makes a good cost effective option
Thanks bart

BernardTPM

Quote from: Chetcombe on November 22, 2012, 03:39:19 AM
It depends on the livery you are interested in. If it is the blue/grey coaches there is an important difference - the HST coaches without buffers have 'Inter City 125' inscribed, whereas the loco hauled stock with buffers only have 'Inter City'.
Not necessarily a problem as HST Mk.3s only had 'Inter-City' on until around 1979 when the '125' was added.

scruff

The buffers are a two second job to remove on the Dapol mk3's, just nick them off with a sharp scalpel (with care of course!). The coaches will need renumbering and transfers are available from Fox transfers for numbering and lettering. Dapol produced two INTERCITY liveried coaches numbered as HST coaches but with buffers fitted NC212A/B. These needed the buffers removing.

Cheers
Mark

bluedepot

yeh i got one of these NC212A/B and cut off the buffers

i still need a buffet and a tgs though of course...

has anyone added light bars to their train?

tim

Chetcombe

Quote from: bluedepot on November 22, 2012, 07:17:56 PM

has anyone added light bars to their train?

tim

I have put light bars into my HST and am pleased with the results. Some folks on the forum feel that the look is a little blue and suggest putting the bars in upside down to mute them a little, I just think it is great to have an easy way of putting lights into carriages. The only issue I have had was that I dislodged one of the wires to the connector and had to solder it back on - a little fiddly because the wire is so thin. Anyway, here is a pic.

Mike
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

bluedepot

cheers mike i might try out the light bars myself then!  i don't have lights on platform / in buildings etc. but it might be fun anyway to have the hst set with lights in it

tim

1936ace

Hi all, sorry for banging on about the mk3 coaches from dapol but i got a reply back from Joel of Dapol who said the buffets will be 4-6 weeks away so that makes it about two weeks off now fingers crossed. I have just been on the web at Rails and they have heaps more br blue grey listed then hattons. buffets 1st and 2nd available but it does not say if they are for hst or are loco hauled stock. there are some numbers i assume coach numbers some start with a W the other is E.
Does this denote hst vs loco hauled coach. can anyone advise which ones i need
thanks all
bart

Ollie3440

Hi Bart,

The coaches we have listed are from a list DapolDave posted on RMWeb, we confirmed with Dapol that they are correct. We then listed them on the website as i noticed that we would be one of the first to advertise them :)
I can confirm they are HST Non-Buffered examples (HST Coach numbers are numbered in the 4XXXX series) and the W and E refer to Western or Eastern.

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

1936ace

Thanks ollie,
I will have to go now and pay attention to see what car numbers are on the coaches from the book set.
Bart

scruff

Hi Bart

The original HST bookset was a western region (w) class 253 set, all the coaches released for the HST to date have the W prefix.
Only the latest blue/grey HST is an eastern region set (e) class 254 and no seperate coaches have been releasedfor it yet.
Hope that helps.

Mark

Caz

As a point of order and to show my ignorance of such matters, was there more than one buffet coach per HST (FGW) train?
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £100.67
Above Goal: £0.67
Site Currency: GBP
101%