The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: Malc on March 13, 2015, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: Bealman on March 13, 2015, 12:23:14 PM

farming galahs
Not quite sure what a galah is, George. I thought it was a red coloured parrot type thingy. Or does it have a different Antipodean meaning? Whatever, it is a phrase I'm sure I'll be able to drop into a conversation, as long as you tell me it's clean. :D

Yes, Malc, that's exactly what it is. A big red breasted, gray winged bird. Agrippa  is correct too.... there's an Aussie saying : "You stupid galah", and rightly so.

They are the most stupid birds you'd ever find. Hence the Barry Humphries reference.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jon898

Galah is a Rose Breasted Cockatoo.  Native to Australia and a major crop pest there, highly desireable as a cage bird elsewhere but, because they cannot be wild-caught and exported, are ridiculously expensive.  Word was (and maybe is) used to denote a loud-mouthed idiot (goofy behaviour, raucous calls).  I suspect "farming galahs" comes from the concept that they are ubiquitous in Oz and thus would need zero effort to farm...even if you wanted to.  Of course, outside Oz farming Galahs is difficult and can be profitable if you devote time to it (going rate in the US is around $1500 per bird).

Now I'll duck for the corrections coming from below.

Bealman

$1500 a bird? Now yer putting ideas into me head, bonny lad.... except I think they're protected.

Convince me when they poo on ya. :uneasy:

ozzie Bill.

Sadly they are protected, like cockies. Very destructive and there are just a few (million) too many in some areas.
We'll see what Monday brings. Hopefully I'll be able to switch to The Happy Thread!!
Cheers, Bill.

Newportnobby

A mate of mine returned from a trip to Oz and moaned like heck about the 'Flamin Galahs' which evidently cause many a smashed car windscreen ::)

ozzie Bill.

Yup, galahs, 'roos and wombats are blamed for a lot of single vehicle outback accidents! Bill.

Bealman

Don't know what it's like up your way, Bill, but we have what you could call a cockatoo infestation here at the moment.

Good luck with your pay next week.   :thumbsup:

George

Geoff

Pictures please do not be affraid to post, we can change it into wanted dead or alive.

That bottle of Riojah was nice..hic
Geoff

ozzie Bill.

Not too bad at the moment, they've all flown north. I'll keep you updated re the pay. Hopefully over on the happy thread! Cheers, Bill.

steve836

I've not seen any  perhaps I don't live far enough north :confused2:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

jonclox

:-[ My fault and nobody else's but l pressed the 'mark all threads read' button as  I left the board so now I have no idea what I have read and what people posted before yesterday afternoon  :(
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Newportnobby

I'm sure you're not as bad as everyone was saying you were, Jon ;) >:D

Trainfish

Don't worry Jon, a lot of members of the forum have exactly the same problem of not remembering what they have read and it has nothing to do with checking the 'mark all threads read' box  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob Tidbury

I've done that on the odd ocasion and it's very anoying is there a means to delete a post at a time once you've read it instead of all posts at once?
Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 18, 2015, 03:23:38 PM
I've done that on the odd ocasion and it's very anoying is there a means to delete a post at a time once you've read it instead of all posts at once?
Bob

Not sure I understand you, Bob, as once you've read a post it disappears off the list of unread posts anyway :confused2:
I'd like a way of deleting posts I'm not interested in before I read the ones left but I gather that's not possible, so I have to just read what I want and then hit the 'mark all messages as read'

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations