O and K JHA hoppers from Dapol

Started by bluedepot, September 12, 2021, 01:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Ah right, I hadn't thought of that. I don't suppose it's worth you asking Rails if they can deduct it and still send them to a UK address? I'm guessing they won't do that but just thought I would mention it.

I do wonder if it was just the early ones of the first batch which had the damages though. 2 of my initial 10 were damaged, none of the next 6, and I'll let you know what the remaining 4 are like when I receive them. Maybe they had the same delivery driver as Rapido in this video................

Please note that this wasn't Rapido's fault and they do give the models a thorough check before sending the good ones out to customers. It's also good (I think) to see how the packaging of each one protected the contents  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Graham

I did get to see this the other day, just shows how good the packaging is nowadays, I had a similar experience with a Revolution delivery, but once inside the wagons were fine.
I always ask for loco's to be tested before sending out to me, both Rails and Kernow test before sending. Maybe will have to ask them to test the rolling stock as well.

Trainfish

Good idea. At least you will know all of the issues others have had and ask them to check for these before sending to you down there  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

JBQFC

My 10 have arrive today all ok nothing broken or dropped of yet but all have rubbing wheels so will looking to see what others do to solve this 
as to the couplings i have replace them with short shanked Rapido's and not worry to much about the gap 

John   

Trainfish

Quickest and easiest fix in my opinion is to fit these washers as long as you're happy with the wagon bodies sitting that tiny bit higher. Personally I don't notice it.
John

<*))))><

SGregory

Morning all - I see there is healthy discussion over the O&K's.  I just want to check something if I may....

I received my replacements from Hattons yesterday, so I now have a rake of 18.  In terms of running, they're terrible (as expected) but I'm happy to try the shims and other suggestions as others have mentioned, but I have 3 which have the coupling detached at one end as per the picture from Trainfish (above) - this is progress as I had at least 4 last time......

Can someone definitively tell me if this is repairable or not? (it doesn't look like it to me), before I send them back for the 'third time lucky'  :censored:

It is such a shame that these wagons are like this, I have five 59's on order which need something to pull so desperately want to keep them!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Simon

SGregory

Ignore my previous post - after spending some time looking at the 3 wagons, I see that the coupling has indeed snapped off completely from its mounting.  This is extremely worrying considering the poor design of the inter wagon couplers - the amount of effort required to couple/uncouple them is highly likely to result in snapping more of them off.  So Hunt couplers it is, bigger gap or not!

Just as an aside, has anyone contacted Dapol directly about these wagons? Was thinking of writing to them and seeing what they plan on doing about this longer term - £600+ is a lot to spend on wagons that really aren't fit for purpose......

Trainfish

There are some posts on the Dapol forum (and they have been responded to) regarding the wheels rubbing but nothing I can see regarding the couplings. I want to post something there but I'm having trouble logging in at the moment.
John

<*))))><

steadfast

Joel from Dapol has been active on a thread on their digest
https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/freight-stock-aa/post-tops-wagons/9968-o-k-jha-wagons
Perhaps worth a post there, it seems to be the most active it's been in ages on there.
For what it's worth, I think the bar couplers may even couple the wagons a bit too close together compared to the real things. Yes buckeyes and no buffers mean close coupling, but these are super close!

Edit as @Trainfish posted while I was typing. Totally agree!

Jo

SGregory

I've just registered for the forum and activated my account, but can't see any obvious way of replying to a thread.....

In any case, I've filled out their 'Contact Us' web form outlining the problems and asking how they plan to rectify the situation.  Very disappointing to read this comment though: "There are tolerances on both the wheels and the body. As most wagons are not subject to this interference the eroor must be very small and, this may work.. We will look at rectifying this if we do make any more."

Doesn't really help.  I can for-see this going down the route of the Mk1 9F i.e 'We know acknowledge there's a problem with the leading pony truck, its our fault but you need to fork out more money for this kit to fix it' - which involved wholesale surgery of your expensive locomotive....

It goes without saying I hope I'm wrong!

Trainfish

I still can't sign in to the Dapol digest forum. I get an error message saying "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message." Erm, how can I contact the admin if I can't get in? The only email address I can see is for sales.

Anyway, I have emailed West Hill Wagon Works to see if they would be interested in making a better/shorter coupling for these and possible future models. I included my pictures for comparison too. They haven't been the best in replying to emails recently though so although I will be patient I won't hold my breath.
John

<*))))><

SGregory

Quote from: Trainfish on November 06, 2022, 02:48:36 PM
I still can't sign in to the Dapol digest forum. I get an error message saying "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message." Erm, how can I contact the admin if I can't get in? The only email address I can see is for sales.

Anyway, I have emailed West Hill Wagon Works to see if they would be interested in making a better/shorter coupling for these and possible future models. I included my pictures for comparison too. They haven't been the best in replying to emails recently though so although I will be patient I won't hold my breath.

I managed to login but no way of posting  :(  Will try again tomorrow.

Of the 15 wagons that aren't going back for replacement again, I've fitted them all with Hunt Elites and agree, they are a little bit too long, but agree with Steadfast in that the supplied couplers make them look too close together.  Have also ordered some shims so I can at least get them moving without burning out one or more loco's trying to drag them round my layout (currently have double headed 56's which made for a basic test they don't derail at least!).

Trainfish

As in 1 of my previous posts I have managed to pull 13 which have washers added without a problem using various locos single headed. Only the class 03 failed. I should have 4 more tomorrow and 3 more hopefully towards the end of the week so will report back with a video of all 20 as soon as I can. I'm still in 2 minds with the couplings as I would like them to be shorter. I don't mind if they are a little longer than those supplied but just not sure about the shortest available at the moment. I may well change my mind at some point though.
John

<*))))><

njee20

Quote from: SGregory on November 06, 2022, 02:39:42 PM
I've just registered for the forum and activated my account, but can't see any obvious way of replying to a thread.....

In any case, I've filled out their 'Contact Us' web form outlining the problems and asking how they plan to rectify the situation.  Very disappointing to read this comment though: "There are tolerances on both the wheels and the body. As most wagons are not subject to this interference the eroor must be very small and, this may work.. We will look at rectifying this if we do make any more."

Doesn't really help.  I can for-see this going down the route of the Mk1 9F i.e 'We know acknowledge there's a problem with the leading pony truck, its our fault but you need to fork out more money for this kit to fix it' - which involved wholesale surgery of your expensive locomotive....

It goes without saying I hope I'm wrong!

The counter to that is what would you like them to do? You can return them at no cost. They are taking on board feedback for a future run. It's not realistic that they'd reject the entire run if we believe them that the number so affected is comparatively small (at least it isn't universal). Perhaps if it turns out that 0.2mm shims resolves it then perhaps they could offer these as a no-cost solution. They may still do that.

Frustrating given they look great.

Trainfish

I do believe they may well do that with the shims as it would be a lot more cost effective (less loss) to them to supply shims than reject every wagon especially when you factor in admin time etc.
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations