O and K JHA hoppers from Dapol

Started by bluedepot, September 12, 2021, 01:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadfast

They're different bogies, but of a similar construction.

Jo

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Steven B on October 04, 2021, 04:53:57 PM
Are the bogies the same as on the ferry-vans?

If they are, it'll be interesting to see if Dapol do a copy and paste, or if they've re-drawn them (potentially with the error).

Steven B.

I think the wheel size (952/920) and wheelbase (2000/1800) are both greater on the 25 tonne axleload version.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Skyline2uk

Well gawd help me I have just ordered 10 of these.

That makes the pre-order book scary, really hope big chunks don't turn up at once  :-\

Should be worth it though, as this now means I will have each 59 version with a suitable train for it, so at least my OCD will be happy even if my wallet isn't.

Skyline2uk

bluedepot

what year did yeoman change the livery over on these wagons?   appreciate probably didnt do all of them at once just rough year is fine!

cheers

tim

steadfast

It was quite a brief period in 1998 that the transition happened @bluedepot . The 100 wagons got painted surprisingly quickly, and the old livery wagons were very heavily weathered.
Here's a photo from the period   https://flic.kr/p/QJHHhw

Any DEMU members may be interested to look at issue 96 of Update which includes an article I wrote about the usage of these wagons. It includes a consist graphic too, which may help with livery mixes. I'll try to see if I can export that in a forum friendly format when I'm on the laptop

Jo

bluedepot

ok great thanks jo for info!

nice picture with 58006

i just watched a video from 1995 which showed an arc livery 59 pulling original yeoman jhas so was wondering when they changed livery.

cheers

tim

steadfast

Mendip Rail, a joint venture between Yeoman and ARC (later Hanson) wad formed in 1994, so 'wrong' livery locos appeared from that time onwards. There was also pooling of some of the box wagons, indeed the Hallen Moor trains for the second severn crossing used mixes of ARC and Yeoman in the same train. The hopper wagons however generally tended to run to and from the correct owning quarry, and if they loaded at the "wrong" quarry it'd be a whole rake, rather than a jumble of Yeoman and ARC wagons

Jo

steadfast

Here we go then, hope this is of use to someone. This isn't the be all and end all, but hopefully gives a flavour to operations with the O&K hoppers. The jumbo trains to and from London are reguarly over 40 wagons with a single 59 up front.

Best thing to do is right click and select view image in new tab, this will let you read the text and see the detail.

Jo

Trainfish

A simple question for all of you clever people I hope. I see the Dapol versions of the JHA are classed as inner and outer. Is it as simple as the 1st and last wagons are outer and the rest inner? Or are they in sets of 5 or another number?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

bluedepot

hi

i understand that sometimes more than two outers were in the train so that it could be split up in to portions easily.

i have ordered 4 outers and 10 inners. i hope they fit in my longest storage loop. a class 56 is on stand by ready to take the train for a test run.

tim

Trainfish

That makes sense. So, I believe if I want a rake of 10 which will never be split up I could use 2 outers and 8 inners. Or, if at some point in its journey it split into 2 trains then 4 outers and 6 inners?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Steven B

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Trainfish on October 25, 2022, 01:20:37 PM
That makes sense. So, I believe if I want a rake of 10 which will never be split up I could use 2 outers and 8 inners. Or, if at some point in its journey it split into 2 trains then 4 outers and 6 inners?

The split explanation makes sense to me as I have also been told they ran with rakes as short as 18, thus these trains would only have a paid of outers (presume most unloading points could handle 18 wagons?).

Personally have ordered 2 outer and 8 inner for a rake of 10. This will look respectable and maybe one day I can expand.

Skyline2uk

Trainfish

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 25, 2022, 01:44:24 PM
The split explanation makes sense to me as I have also been told they ran with rakes as short as 18, thus these trains would only have a paid of outers (presume most unloading points could handle 18 wagons?).

Personally have ordered 2 outer and 8 inner for a rake of 10. This will look respectable and maybe one day I can expand.

Skyline2uk
That's exactly what I have just ordered too. Once assembled into a rake I will see if I can add a few more to lengthen it. I reckon I could maybe stretch to 16. Let's call this one a 'suffering Covid purchase' and once I've got rid of it hope I don't get it again any time soon.

Quote from: Steven B on October 25, 2022, 01:29:36 PM
Now arriving in shops....

Steven B
And soon to be arriving in Devizes  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

steadfast

Each depot will have a particular number of wagons it can receive and train lengths will be based around this.
Terminal A can take 19, so Merehead will shunt 19 wagons together to form that train. This could be 2 outers and 17 inners, or something as exotic as outer, outer, outer, 8 inners, outer, outer, 5 inners and a final outer.

Terminal B takes 15 wagons, so Merehead need to knock 4 out before the set reloads. This could be a block of 4, or individuals down the train, particular if those being knocked out are cripples.

The addition of IIAs and HOAs to the Mendip fleet (which are singles, with buffers both ends) means if you need to add wagons to a set, you may just add the required number to one end, as it is less shunting than splitting the set.

The only hard and fast rule of inners and outers is that you always need an even number of outers.

I've sent the graphic I posted a few post back, and an accompanying text to Neale for an upcoming journal and am working on a similar graphic for the class 59s.

Any questions fire away and I'll do my best to help.

Jo

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations