The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

What a rip off! I may have vented about the price of Tesco's Stockwell brand Wheat biscuits at  £0.75 for a 24 pack as against Weetabix at £3.25 les than 1g difference in size of bix, little if any difference in taste or texture so is a brand name worth 4 times the price?
If you think that's bad I just got a pack of 4 refilled toner cartridges for an OKI colour laser from Amazon cost £35.50, compared to Printerland's £377 for genuine OKI ones, previous refills from another supplier have been around £120. So now my A4 prints will cost 1.7p each.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dannyboy

Staying with the cereal theme at Tesco - 'Rice Snaps' 375g €1.19, Kelloggs Rice Krispies 340g €3.00! There is no way I can tell the difference.  "is a brand name worth 4 times the price?" you ask Mike. Trying to explain things like this to Louisa, as she is an advertisement agency's dream, I say, "Who is paying for the advertising?", which usually illicits the response, "Ahbut it is nicer". In most cases that is a load of old round things. Cat food is another case in point, 'Whiskas' pouches are €17.00 for a box of 40, Tesco own label are €3.30 for a box of 12 - yet go to Aldi and I can get a box of 48 pouches for €9.99.  More than ever, it pays to shop around!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on December 22, 2022, 12:40:43 PM
Cat food is another case in point, 'Whiskas' pouches are €17.00 for a box of 40, Tesco own label are €3.30 for a box of 12 - yet go to Aldi and I can get a box of 48 pouches for €9.99.  More than ever, it pays to shop around!  :)

@dannyboy
I tried very hard to get Hookey to eat what I'd started him off on (Felix pouches) so tried Whiskas (not a lot cheaper) and Tescos own brand (much cheaper) and he just turned his nose up and refused so I had to give them away. Cheapest ain't necessarily the right economy :no:

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 22, 2022, 02:04:43 PM
Cat food is another case in point, 'Whiskas' pouches are €17.00 for a box of 40, Tesco own label are €3.30 for a box of 12 - yet go to Aldi and I can get a box of 48 pouches for €9.99.  More than ever, it pays to shop around!  :)

@dannyboy
I tried very hard to get Hookey to eat what I'd started him off on (Felix pouches) so tried Whiskas (not a lot cheaper) and Tescos own brand (much cheaper) and he just turned his nose up and refused so I had to give them away. Cheapest ain't necessarily the right economy :no:

The other issue with cat food is the cheaper brands put in additives and fillers, resulting in a cat food which 'may' be detrimental to your animals health, and possibly incur extra veterinary expense or worse, shorten their life. There's little in the way of nutritional, ingredient regulation for pet foods, unlike foods for human consumption.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

dannyboy

I appreciate that cats, like humans, have their own individualties and preferences. If a cat will not eat a particular brand or flavour then so be it. I always said that Heinz soups were the bestest ever. My Sister, on one of my trips back home, gave me a a bowl of tomato soup. I remarked how nice it was and she told me it was from Aldi! So now, tomato soup is bought from Aldi, but other Heinz Cream Of varieties, I do tend to get from Asda  on our trips to Enniskillen. The Aldi soup is 57 cent in the Republic and Heinz is £1, (if on offer), in Asda. Having said all that, we have bought a soup maker contraption thingy, so we can live on cheap soup now - sprouting spuds - throw 'em in, veggies passed their best - throw 'em in! (Note to self - get some more carrots when shopping tomorrow!).
David.

Browning 9mm

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 22, 2022, 02:04:43 PM

@dannyboy

no such problems with HB, he'll eat anything....
only problem with him is he will not settle down at night till he's had a mint humbug  :*(

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on December 22, 2022, 02:22:42 PM
we have bought a soup maker contraption thingy, so we can live on cheap soup now - sprouting spuds - throw 'em in,

Yeuch :sick:
Please stop cross breeding brussel sprouts and spuds :stop:

dannyboy

Quote from: emjaybee on December 22, 2022, 02:17:08 PM

There's little in the way of nutritional, ingredient regulation for pet foods, unlike foods for human consumption.

I did look into this aspect of pet food a while back @emjaybee . There is quite a lot of regulation. Just the first page found in a search -
https://europeanpetfood.org/self-regulation/legislation/
David.

emjaybee

Quote from: dannyboy on December 22, 2022, 02:30:04 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on December 22, 2022, 02:17:08 PM

There's little in the way of nutritional, ingredient regulation for pet foods, unlike foods for human consumption.

I did look into this aspect of pet food a while back @emjaybee . There is quite a lot of regulation. Just the first page found in a search -
https://europeanpetfood.org/self-regulation/legislation/

Most of the regulations are as much to ensure it won't poison humans if ingested as anything. Its still a very small amount of regulation compared to human food.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

joe cassidy

I worked in a pizza factory in Thame, Oxon.

There were seperate production lines for supermarket pizzas and Marks & Spencers pizzas.

If you pay less, you get less.

javlinfaw7

My mother worked in a biscuit factory that also supplied M&S as well as their own brand.
They had a seperate line for Marks and though the recipes and size was identical to their own brand ,M&S had a higher quality control and had their own inspectors visit normally unannounced

Trainfish

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 22, 2022, 09:08:06 PM
I worked in a pizza factory in Thame, Oxon.

There were seperate production lines for supermarket pizzas and Marks & Spencers pizzas.

If you pay less, you get less.

I think that's the Dominos effect

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on December 22, 2022, 09:51:34 PM
My mother worked in a biscuit factory that also supplied M&S as well as their own brand.
They had a seperate line for Marks and though the recipes and size was identical to their own brand ,M&S had a higher quality control and had their own inspectors visit normally unannounced

And that's just taking the biscuit.

I think I need to go and watch some telly  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

joe cassidy

Or drink some beer, watching the trains go round - trainscendental meditation  :)

Trainfish

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 22, 2022, 10:02:02 PM
Or drink some beer, .......................... :)

This sounds like the better option. 3 hours 43 minutes and counting. I may have to have a little warmer before I leave the house though  :beers:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Browning 9mm

Quote from: Trainfish on December 23, 2022, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on December 22, 2022, 10:02:02 PM
Or drink some beer, .......................... :)

This sounds like the better option. 3 hours 43 minutes and counting. I may have to have a little warmer before I leave the house though  :beers:

or put some trousers on  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations