The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

There are several possible reasons for the "stupidly large box for tiny product" phenomenon, my cynical mind can think of two immediately:

1) The companies involved wanted to minimise outgoings on postage and that was their only goal. So the got a blanket contract from the lowest bidder and a huge bulk of single sized boxes. No thought to anything other than the bottom line.

2) Companies involved either wrote (unlikely) or subbed out (most likely) some analysis to a company with the goal "make postage costs small". Recommendation came back, cheapest one selected, page two and beyond (containing data beyond "bottom line") ignored.

Either way, the corporate wheels turn

Skyline2uk 

zwilnik

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 10, 2022, 03:02:29 PM
There are several possible reasons for the "stupidly large box for tiny product" phenomenon, my cynical mind can think of two immediately:

1) The companies involved wanted to minimise outgoings on postage and that was their only goal. So the got a blanket contract from the lowest bidder and a huge bulk of single sized boxes. No thought to anything other than the bottom line.

2) Companies involved either wrote (unlikely) or subbed out (most likely) some analysis to a company with the goal "make postage costs small". Recommendation came back, cheapest one selected, page two and beyond (containing data beyond "bottom line") ignored.

Either way, the corporate wheels turn

Skyline2uk 

Another possibility is that they'd run out of small Jiffy bags and wanted to get the order out quickly, so just went with the next smallest available option.

Skyline2uk

True

I did say I was being cynical  :D

Skyline2uk

thebrighton

Reminds me of a delivery from Shapeways a couple of years back:

Trainfish

What? A huge box like that and they still failed to put the product inside it!  :hmmm:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 03, 2022, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 03, 2022, 10:44:07 AM
I apologise to anybody who works in the industry but the entire home buying and selling business is full of utter utter morons.
Shower of ******

Couldn't agree more. Bunch of parasites doing as little as possible for as much as possible.
If only selling my Mother's property was as easy as selling her car ::)

Conveyancer just made a BIG mistake. They asked me to complete a survey concerning their performance. They ain't gonna like what they see and should have been careful what they asked for >:D

Skyline2uk

Have at em Mick!

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 26, 2022, 06:39:33 PM
Have at em Mick!

I most certainly did, especially as their final accounts had things in there that shouldn't have been ::)
How can I see them instantly when they (the so called experts) can't?

jpendle

Just to follow on from my Parking Eye, Holiday Inn, Avis post.

I just got my money back  :claphappy:

The manager at the Holiday Inn really came through on my behalf.

Maybe this should be in the Happy Thread.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Skyline2uk

Quote from: jpendle on October 27, 2022, 06:07:24 PM
Just to follow on from my Parking Eye, Holiday Inn, Avis post.

I just got my money back  :claphappy:

The manager at the Holiday Inn really came through on my behalf.

Maybe this should be in the Happy Thread.

John P

I think it should be!

Now you have a conundrum, would you give positive feedback for the help of said manager or negative for being it that situation to begin with?

Skyline2uk

Browning 9mm

yes, after all my trials, I'm back.

YOKEL  :censored:

so I'm waiting for a parcel from a company that uses this load of clowns.
apparently my parcel, from the depot just outside Burgess Hill, is at present

Parcel status
Your driver is currently making stop Number 98 of 216.
Estimated delivery date:
Today
Stops before you:

ok, what is the problem that has me spitting feathers ??????

so far I have seen one Yokel van in the road behind us, and one drive past us.

is there no one at this useless  :censored: company that can actually arrange a sensible route where parcels are delivered as vehicles drive past the destination  :thumbsdown:

apart from the obvious aggro for customers, who thinks that it is a good idea to have vehicles pass each other on their way to deliver parcels ? especially with the price of fuel these days you might, if you have a single brain cell, think that firms would be looking to be more cost effective.

obviously not in their case ! :veryangry:

Bob Tidbury

Browning 9mm
They are not the only courier to do that ,We have a Gousto food box delivered every monday and I dont like the idea of it being left on the doorstep in full view of passers by and if its raining the box gets soaked and bursts open ,so I wait in and every time our little burgular alarm barks I look out to see if its the HERMES VAN I have seen two sometimes even three vans go up and down our road but no Gousto box one evening it arrived at half past 9 in the evening by a private car .
I used to do deliveries many years ago and used to get my delivery sheets in a pile in no order at all so I used to go home and have my breakfast look at the map
( No sat naves in those days ) and sort out my route and still get back to the yard before the other drivers .
D P D are the best courier in our area but I have even seen two or three of their vans in our road sometimes possibly from different depots of course .
Bob Tidbury

Browning 9mm

My Parcel's Journey

29/11/22
08:49
Your parcel is with one of our drivers for delivery

29/11/22
08:48
Your parcel is being loaded. Check back for updates shortly.

29/11/22
03:04
Your parcel has arrived at the local delivery depot

28/11/22
23:08
Your parcel has arrived at the local delivery depot

28/11/22
22:13
Your parcel has arrived at your local depot

28/11/22
14:36
Your parcel is at our national hub

23/11/22
00:00
We're expecting your parcel from your sender. We will provide updates here once we receive it.

how many times does it need to arrive at the local depot, for  :censored: sake  :veryangry:

woodbury22uk

Not wanting to be seen as a Yodel defender, but anyone who has worked on delivery scheduling will know the issues.

Not all deliveries from the hub arrive at the end of the spoke simultaneously. Do you hold up all the deliveries for an area until the very last hub service has arrived been unloaded, sorted and distributed to the otherwise complete loads on the vans? Simple answer is "No". If you have 3 vanloads, then get the vans on the road as soon as possible. And schedule some vans to cover the last incoming hub trucks.

Not all deliveries to an address pass through the same delivery depot. Today I have Amazon deliveries from two different depots, and I know now from experience and from the origin of the packet which depot would deliver which item.

In some situations involving hazardous items, packages should not be in the same load.

Hopefully when the van reaches stop 189, the driver will be outside your house with your package, and it will still be today.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Browning 9mm

do not get me wrong...

I do not blame the drivers, it's the so called managers, no doubt with a university degree in nothing whatsoever to do with transport, who do my head in.

give an eastern european van driver, on minimum wage, a list of deliveries, and he'll do a simple job fast and effectively.

insert a computer [ I know exactly where I would insert it] and add a degree in social sciences etc, and it seems the entire, simple system get totally  :censored:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations