The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nbodger

Someone is taking the Michael

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 03, 2022, 09:14:51 PM
Why do so many people change the name 'Mick' to 'Mike'?
I can be introduced or introduce myself as 'Mick' yet sometimes less than 10 minutes later they're calling me 'Mike'.
Likewise I can e mail from an address beginning 'mick...............................' and get a reply addressed to 'Mike'
It has reached the stage where I am just quite rude to them as, to my mind, if they can't get my name right they are no loss to me at all >:(

Well, seeing as YOU opened this can 'o' worms...

I'm a Michael.

A lot of my family call me Mike. That's allowed.

One guy calls me Mick. I went to school with him and worked with him for years. That's allowed.

My best mate often calls me Mikey. That's allowed, he's a sound guy that would walk through fire to help me, and vice-versa.

I always introduce myself as Michael, and that's how I expect people I don't know well to refer to me. I occasionally have trouble with customers calling me Mike, they get corrected until it stops.

It's not rocket science. If someone introduces themselves to me as Richard, I don't start calling them Dick. Although many warrant it.

>:(
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

I bet your mum called you Michael when you were naughty though didn't she Mickey?

It's much easier with my name John. Everyone calls me that (or my nickname which I was given 43 years ago when I first started work) although my mum called me JOHN when I was naughty  :dunce:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

joe cassidy

I get annoyed when people call me Joey instead of Joe.

The last time anyone called me Joseph was when I got stopped by the police in Ireland in 1996.

I have to admit that I did like to hear my name pronouced JoSeph by the Irish policeman, rather than JoZeph as in UK, France, etc.

stevewalker

Years ago, I frequently used to have to send faxes and I used to fill in the from line, the full address details and the "sign off", with three different variants - S.M.Walker, Mr. Stephen M. Walker and SteveW, following the line in a novel, where the character says, "They can call me anything they like, as long as it's said with the proper tone of respect."

Our youngest son has no hope, having the Christian names Darragh Steafán (named after my wife's cousin and the Irish version of my name) ... he is forever condemned to spell out his name on the phone or elsewhere.

joe cassidy

I made the mistake of calling my eldest son, born in France, Matthew.

The frogs (please excuse me French members of the forum) can't get their tongues around "th" so he is condemned forever to be called Mat-you.

Bigmac

my name is Malcolm--usually Malc--sometimes Mal--which is bad.

One of my nephews, when he was learning to talk..( hes in his mid 30's now ) could only pronounce my name as Mac--which his family adopted.  So i became mac--even my wife called me mac.
In more recent years--an acquaintance at work labelled me Bigmac--and that stuck.
But i'm not tall--or overweight: so i cant imagine why the BIG label got there. Or maybe....
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

stevewalker

None of my uncle's family can remember when or why they started calling my mother (who is called Christine or Chris) Aunty Jim! She's been known as that for around 60 years, but no-one knows why. It's not even her childhood nickname (that was Clear As or Mud).

On the other hand, we all know why a friend of ours is known as Dyllis - he accepted it as his nickname back during our schooldays in the early '80s, when there was a fad for calling everyone a Dil, just to get away from that, as his surname is Doe.

stevewalker

My wife is disabled and we had looked at getting an electric Motability car, but could not as she did not have long enough to run on her PIP assessment and needed to wait until that was renewed. She put in her paperwork in August last year, and heard nothing (despite numerous requests) until June this year - at which point they renewed it until September, to give themselves more time. All this because someone thought that she may be entitled to *MORE* help. However the delays have prevented doing anything about a Motability car and, in the meantime, not only have up-front payments towards the cars massively increased, but the range of cars has reduced - and in the last fortnight, the last suitable model has been removed from the list, so now we cannot go ahead, even when they actually sort the paperwork out  :censored:

a) why on earth could they not have properly extended the existing PIP award and added on extra if they judged it valid?
b) she has a degenerative condition and will never improve, so why does she have to have an end point to her award every two years, rather than making it permanent, with reassessments only of additional needs?

jpendle

I flew from the US to Singapore over the weekend to take part in a global training event. We were told we would have to take a Covid test every morning to get into the office.
Monday morning I tested positive which means I get an all expenses paid 7 day vacation in a Singapore hotel room  >:(
I have a mild fever but no other symptoms. The US has no Covid test requirements for entry but Singapore won't let me leave any earlier unless I test negative.
Sod's law says that I won't test negative in time to leave on Saturday but that I'll still be positive when I am allowed to leave on Monday.  :veryangry:

And to cap it all there is a little known bug with my HP Z book laptop (according to our IT guy). It's Wifi doesn't work properly outside the US, I couldn't use it in the UK in August and sure enough it doesn't work here either. Fortunately one of my colleagues was able to drop off a LAN cable so that I can at least get online.
Another one was despatched to the grocery store to get tea and fresh milk, he's American but still managed to come back with Yorkshire tea  :)

SWMBO is livid and apparently I'm a stupid old goat who should know better than to leave her alone at home with two 15 week old Springer Spaniel pups while I relax in the fleshpots of Asia.

I had Covid in January and so far it's nowhere near as bad as it was then.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

The Q

Quote from: Trainfish on September 03, 2022, 10:23:49 PM

I bet your mum called you Michael when you were naughty though didn't she Mickey?

It's much easier with my name John. Everyone calls me that (or my nickname which I was given 43 years ago when I first started work) although my mum called me JOHN when I was naughty  :dunce:
My brother John got the shout Johnathon!!!! when he was in trouble..

The Q

My first name is that of a 2nd world war battle in a 60%  Muslim area  of their country, the chances of anyone pronouncing it or spelling correctly are slim.. especially as they themselves have change the spelling since..

joe cassidy

joe cassidy

Quote from: jpendle on September 13, 2022, 03:37:46 AM
Monday morning I tested positive which means I get an all expenses paid 7 day vacation in a Singapore hotel room  >:(

I hope you like watching cricket on TV ?

There may be a test match going on somewhere in the world.

jpendle

Quote from: joe cassidy on September 13, 2022, 05:28:45 PM
Quote from: jpendle on September 13, 2022, 03:37:46 AM

I hope you like watching cricket on TV ?

There may be a test match going on somewhere in the world.

Well what a moron  :censored: :censored:

Having never done a lateral flow test before I discovered on the Wednesday morning that I didn't have Covid and in fact had never had it, I just hadn't read the instructions properly.  :doh:

I think from now on the P in John P has to stand for pill&ck  :D

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations