The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

There are two different maximums. There is the figure they have entered into (say) Ebay, which is *a* maximum, but that may not be as much as they are actually willing to pay and *their* maximum may be higher.

The point is that many bidders enter a lower maximum than they are actually willing to pay and only increase it if they find that they are being outbid or they start with a figure in mind, but then get caught up in a bidding frenzy and increase it when they are outbid. By me bidding at the last minute, they do not have the time to make a change.

For instance someone bids £20 on a £10 starting bid. It sits there at £10. If a day or an hour before the auction ends, I put in £25, it will go to £21. They may then try increasing their *Ebay* maximum to £22, £25, £30 and will then get it for £26.

If however they bid £20 on a £10 starting bid, it sits there at £10 and 5 seconds before the auction ends, I put in £25, I will get it for £21. They just won't have time to increase their figure.

It gives me no advantage over someone that really did put in the maximum they were willing to pay at the start, but it does over the (many) who are more hesitant and start with a lower figure, that they think that they can get it for.

Trainfish

I understand what both of you are saying and agree with both to an extent. My maximum on a Monday could be different to my maximum on a Tuesday for many reasons. If you take the word maximum literally then @emjaybee is absolutely correct. I try to use Gixen partly so I don't forget to bid, partly so I'm not tempted to change my 'maximum' from Monday and also to not show others that I'm interested enough to place a bid. I have also like you spoken with a seller before the item has ended and struck a deal. Totally against eBay rules to do it through their site but if you want something badly enough you'll do it right?

As for your previous questions regarding a snipe tool I can only answer regarding Gixen as that's all I remember using. You have a choice, you can pay or not pay. If you use the unpaid version then you have to wait 20 seconds for it to log you in. That's the only difference I see but I'm sure there will be more. I don't see ads when using it. I have no idea if they sell your details on but then that's what my junk email folder is for, I get as many junk emails as I do proper emails but I just empty it every couple of days, I don't let it stress me  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

emjaybee

Hi John, it's within FleaBay rules to strike a deal, as long as it's completed within FleaBay.

To be honest, the last minute bidders play INTO my hands. The vendor sees no bids for four days, I offer him a 'reasonable' amount. Job done. All the last minute bidders see is 'This item is no longer available'.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

@Trainfish , this Gixen thing, can you set it to bid at any moment/time, or will it only do last minute?
Brookline build thread:

Trainfish

You're absolutely right, as long as it's done within eBay. But, we're all human (well, maybe not a couple of non-humans on the forum) and if a seller prefers to sell away from ebay then 99% of people aren't going to say no are they? That includes me of course. Yes, it can play into your hands too especially if they have started the auction at too high a price and nobody submits the starting price in the first 5, 7 days or whatever. I start my auctions at 99p or £4.99 which always entices bidders and watchers in.

I have just read that you can only have 4 winning bids per month on the free version by the way. It looks like you can increase the timing of your bid but only up to 15 seconds (default is 5 seconds I think). I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that though and to me it would be just too tempting to up your bid if you see your snipe outbid with 15 seconds to go.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

:censored: Virgin..............................

still sending me silly e-mails about how they are adding services to my 'package' ....

I can tell you, for certain, that if beardie touches my 'package', he'll feel my size nine where he will know it !!

what do you have to do to get rid of these idiots.

stevewalker

My middle son has hardly been out of the house for months and so has not been wearing many outdoor clothes. Shortly I have to take him to school for a Covid test, before they return next week.

He has grown out of some clothes, so only has school trousers or jeans available at the moment, so four pairs. Two pairs are very dirty and the two "clean" pairs have been covered with cat hairs after they were put aside. Therefore he needed something washing.

My wife asked him to put a couple of pairs in the washing machine last night, which he did, but then she forgot to start the machine - which I only noticed a short while ago, with just enough time to run a fast wash and then to tumble dry.

I walked in when the washer stopped - only to find that for some unknown reason, it has decided upon now to fail to release the door! This happened a few years ago and nothing would induce it to unlock, other than unplugging and leaving for hours before powering it up again :(

We are now waiting for a hand-washed pair to tumble dry and hope that we can just make it to the appointment in time.

thebrighton

The boiler packs up and the plumber can call tomorrow, between Christmas and New Year, and fit a new one. The mixer tap starts to play up on the shower and they manage to not turn up 3 times in 3 weeks. It's almost like plumbers are only interested in big ticket work.....
Apologies to any plumbers on here but since moving to our current abode that is 5 plumbers we've been through, all with the same attitude and my parents suffer form exactly the same atrocious service unless it's a big job.
Do any plumbers exist that are actually prepared to do small jobs?
He's coming Monday now which will be his last chance before his Trust a Trader profile gets a visit!

Newportnobby

Quote from: thebrighton on March 05, 2021, 01:12:46 PM
It's almost like plumbers are only interested in big ticket work.....
Do any plumbers exist that are actually prepared to do small jobs?

In my experience in this area of Lancs it's not just plumbers. I have several jobs for an electrician but they either can't be arsed to return calls or tell me they're busy for the next month or so on big jobs. I appreciate they want that sort of work but the smaller jobs get frozen out and they'll need them when the bigger jobs dry up

Dorsetmike

About 3 or 4 years ago one of my hot water tank heaters failed, plumber came in and changed the complete tank with some waffle about the tank was old and removing the immersion stood a chance of damaging the tank; a few months back an immersion failed again, different plumber, made sure power to it was off, undid a couple of screws, pulled out just the element, checked the thermostast setting on the  new one, pushed it in, replaced the screws, job done. Luckily the flat is rented so the landlord got the bills, however the rent goes up each year.

Had a look on Checkatrade, first bloke is bottom of the list, shoddy work and overcharging, but some people still use him. (Wouldn't be surprised if the building management get a kick back)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 05, 2021, 08:21:45 PM
I have several jobs for an electrician but they either can't be arsed ...........

I'm not telling you what my trade is then. I agree about plumbers though. Always say they're too busy etc and then our old plumber suddenly appears on The Chase one evening! I'm glad he didn't win  :goggleeyes:
John

<*))))><

Bealman

Isn't that show recorded on a Sunday?  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on March 05, 2021, 09:11:40 PM

Had a look on Checkatrade, first bloke is bottom of the list, shoddy work and overcharging, but some people still use him.

I have doubts such sites as 'Checkatrade' are policed and updated frequently enough. The only one I use is 'Safe Trader' which is monitored/recommended by Trading Standards

emjaybee

From a Tradesmans point of view:

A lot of us got stung in the lockdowns in the last year. I've lost somewhere in the region of 40% of my company income. As a small (just me) Limited company I got VERY little help fron the government. The wife and I had to survive on a combined income of £500/month. Despite no income, and other factors we still couldn't get income support.

Many tradespeople were encouraged to be Limited companies by a previous government as Limited companies are more 'visible' to the Government and HMRC.

Now, most of us are scrabbling to play catch up and to recoup losses. Most of us have robbed savings and used credit cards, and now need to recover.

If you're given a choice of larger jobs (steadier income), and small jobs (more sporadic/inefficient income) what would you do?

On the CheckaTwit, SafePlonka, side of things, I've never come across a quality tradesperson that needed such a site.
Brookline build thread:

Malc

@stevewalker i had an embarrassing visit from a washing machine service agent when the door on our washing machine wouldn't open. He came in, pressed the child lock that I had accidentally pushed, grinned at me and left.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations