The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Piewalker

Yeah, most searches allow you to exclude terms by adding a minus in front of them in the search box

Newportnobby

Not so much angry as mildly miffed/amused at the same time.
Had a heart test involving a treadmill/radio-active injection this morning and the nurses asked if I wanted to have some music during the test. I said it depends what it is and they replied it was just a compilation on an iPod.
Damn me if the first song that came on was 'Another one bites the dust' and that was immediately followed by 'Total eclipse of the heart'! :worried:
Why didn't they go the whole hog and play 'Resurrection Shuffle' or 'When I'm dead and gone'? :scowl:

(waits for all sorts of other suggestions)

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on April 17, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
Not so much angry as mildly miffed/amused at the same time.
Had a heart test involving a treadmill/radio-active injection this morning and the nurses asked if I wanted to have some music during the test. I said it depends what it is and they replied it was just a compilation on an iPod.
Damn me if the first song that came on was 'Another one bites the dust' and that was immediately followed by 'Total eclipse of the heart'! :worried:
Why didn't they go the whole hog and play 'Resurrection Shuffle' or 'When I'm dead and gone'? :scowl:

(waits for all sorts of other suggestions)
Don't fear the reaper?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Agrippa

The day thou gavest, Lord is ended.............
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Sprintex

Quote from: newportnobby on April 17, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
Why didn't they go the whole hog and play 'Resurrection Shuffle' . . .

Ashton, Gardner & Dyke, used to live a few doors away from me in Enfield :D

How about Madness - Cardiac Arrest? :laugh:

Paul

scotsoft

The one that springs to mind is " Come on baby, light my pyre fire"  >:D

Cheers John

gc4946

I live in Leeds City Council's area and from 1st April this year anyone who visits a recycling centre run by the council now has to display a circular "Leeds Resident Permit" inside their car windscreen or produce evidence that they live in Leeds, particularly a council tax bill.

Have anybody else been given such instructions elsewhere in the UK?
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

gc4946

It's been a double whammy for me, not only my nearest recycling centre closed some time ago, but the council discourages non-drivers from accessing these centres that are still open.

"We do not permit residents to access our household waste sites on foot. The sites are designed for vehicular delivery of materials that residents cannot recycle or dispose of through their existing kerbside collection due to size/material type. At busy times, the amount of cars and skip vehicles coming in and out of the site can be potentially hazardous to both residents and staff, so we need to be mindful of this.

This rationale also supports our activities to eliminate illegal trade waste which has been a regular problem at some sites in the past.

We provide a series of bring sites for residents to recycle materials, including glass, textiles and small electricals; which are easily accessible on foot in the local community.

Find your nearest bring site by using the 'Where I live' tool and selecting your address from the list that will appear.​"

source: http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pages/Recyclingsites.aspx

MikeDunn

Quote from: gc4946 on April 18, 2015, 10:40:38 PM
or produce evidence that they live in Leeds, particularly a council tax bill.

Various Boroughs in London have been doing that for over a decade ... nothing new there (especially the rate of progress of Leeds council  ;))

gc4946

I didn't know that's already happening ...
Out of curiosity, I checked the recycling centre policies of several London boroughs and Bexley and Croydon are those who insist on a residents only permit

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2787

https://www.croydon.gov.uk/environment/rrandw/recycling/recyclingsites

Not only that, both also charge for out of borough users!

MikeDunn

Quote from: gc4946 on April 19, 2015, 09:25:30 AM
Sounds fair to me ... did when I lived there, still does.

Why the **** should I (as a Council Tax payer) subsidise people from other Council areas wanting to dump their rubbish in my recycle centre ?  They should use their own !

IIRC, they're starting to do this in Shropshire too ...  certainly, trade waste is not permitted (I'm sure there was a sign about proof last I did a recycle run).

Afraid I just don't see why you're up in arms about this ... if you live in Leeds then you should have a car disc (if you have a car of course  :D) & anyway you'll have a Council Tax bill with your name & address on ...

WRT the "car access only" rule, email them & ask how you're expected to get material there if you don't have a car; odds are, there will be some kind of pick-up service ...

Mike

jonclox

Quote from: gc4946 on April 19, 2015, 09:25:30 AM

Sounds perfectly in order to me.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

talisman56

Quote from: gc4946 on April 18, 2015, 10:40:38 PM
I live in Leeds City Council's area and from 1st April this year anyone who visits a recycling centre run by the council now has to display a circular "Leeds Resident Permit" inside their car windscreen or produce evidence that they live in Leeds, particularly a council tax bill.

Yes, we've been threatened with that down here in deepest North Somerset...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Trainfish

On a similar theme our council last year did a survey (they called it a consultation) of how people wanted their garden rubbish collected. The options were as follows:

A 3 month suspension of garden waste collections during December, January and February (No annual charge but no doubt added to the council tax bill)
A 5 month suspension as above but no collections in November, December, January, February & March (No annual charge as above)
An annual charge of £35 per bin collected every fortnight (apart from Christmas time)
No collections

The results were as follows:

3 month suspension - 61.7%
5 month suspension - 30.7%
Annual charge - 5.8%
No collections - 1.8%

So which one do you think they went for? Yes, an annual charge which had 5.8% of the vote. Not only that but they raised it to £40. There's a lot of unhappy people around here. Not so much that the charge is there but more that they asked us and then ignored us!
Oh, and then they added that they are closing some of the recycling centres for 2/3 days of the week and shortening the opening hours of all of them. Thanks Wiltshire Council. Their 'slogan' says "Where everybody matters". It should maybe be added to with "But we never listen to you so up yours!"
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations