Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: Trainfish on July 09, 2021, 12:34:14 PM
I will accept the position of course so look out if you live in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire, Hampshire (inc IOW), Surrey, E & W Sussex and Kent, I'll be heading your way soon  :D

Congratulations John! Really chuffed for you. Wiltshire, so nearly but not quite Oxfordshire.  :( ( :bounce: )

Though our girls now live in Bristol and Brighton, so, you never know...  :bounce: ( :uneasy: )

Trainfish

George @Bealman as it's now going to be 2-storey does that mean the neighbours will be able to see you sunbathing naked in the garden?  :goggleeyes:

Thanks again all re the job.

Quote from: railsquid on July 15, 2021, 04:34:03 AM
Congrats on the job and all that, planning to buy any new trains to celebrate?  :angel:
No new trains yet but I have bought 8 sets of curved points, another Megapoints route processor + switches etc for it so about £250 worth in all.

Quote from: RailGooner on July 15, 2021, 09:51:23 AM
Congratulations John! Really chuffed for you. Wiltshire, so nearly but not quite Oxfordshire.  :( ( :bounce: )
Though our girls now live in Bristol and Brighton, so, you never know...  :bounce: ( :uneasy: )
I managed to avoid your area  :thumbsup:  Not surprisingly we don't have any sites in Brizzle and the closest to Brighton is near Eastbourne.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

@Bealman
I certainly wouldn't want that, George. My bungalow is surrounded by 2 storey houses so my garden is overlooked on 3 sides of the four. It's not just you being overlooked but I dare say there will be a lot more noise coming from them when the pool is done. I bet they'd complain if you built a viewing platform in your garden so you could see the pool >:D

The Q

Quote from: Bealman on July 15, 2021, 03:26:25 AM
Dunno thread.

Maybe we should have a "dunno" thread, because I really dunno how I feel about this....

The folk in the house behind Chez Bealman (which is on the left in this photograph) recently tore it down and are currently putting up this huge thing. It doesn't bother me particularly, as there are no windows in our place which look out on it - it's all brickwall.

It does bother Mrs B though, because it's two story as opposed to the original dwelling which was a bungalow.

There is a swimming pool in there as well, which is going to be ripped out and replaced with a bigger one. That will leave them with zero back garden, which presumably is what they want.

As I say, I dunno what I really think about it. It could increase the value of Chez Bealman, or it could decrease it. Whatever, we don't talk to them anyway.  ;D

My good old weather station is still going strong, however, having logged up 5 years of weather records at Chez Bealman.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and congrats, John!
I think you're going to need a taller pole for that weather station..

Snowwolflair

Quote from: The Q on July 15, 2021, 12:14:50 PM
Quote from: Bealman on July 15, 2021, 03:26:25 AM
Dunno thread.

Maybe we should have a "dunno" thread, because I really dunno how I feel about this....

The folk in the house behind Chez Bealman (which is on the left in this photograph) recently tore it down and are currently putting up this huge thing. It doesn't bother me particularly, as there are no windows in our place which look out on it - it's all brickwall.

It does bother Mrs B though, because it's two story as opposed to the original dwelling which was a bungalow.

There is a swimming pool in there as well, which is going to be ripped out and replaced with a bigger one. That will leave them with zero back garden, which presumably is what they want.

As I say, I dunno what I really think about it. It could increase the value of Chez Bealman, or it could decrease it. Whatever, we don't talk to them anyway.  ;D

My good old weather station is still going strong, however, having logged up 5 years of weather records at Chez Bealman.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and congrats, John!
I think you're going to need a taller pole for that weather station..

Not a problem there is bound to be one building that house  :smiley-laughing:

Bealman

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 15, 2021, 11:41:33 AM
@Bealman
I certainly wouldn't want that, George. My bungalow is surrounded by 2 storey houses so my garden is overlooked on 3 sides of the four. It's not just you being overlooked but I dare say there will be a lot more noise coming from them when the pool is done. I bet they'd complain if you built a viewing platform in your garden so you could see the pool >:D

Yeah, probably. Funnily enough, it's the same neighbour who had a go at me some years ago, when the model helicopter I got for Christmas crashed over his fence (documented on here at the time). It had a camera on board, and I think he thought I was up to no good - when in fact the truth was that I just couldn't fly the bloody thing!  ;D

As to them seeing into our place, that doesn't bother me - this is all they'll see:

Ok, the BBQ is there, but I don't know how to drive that, so it's very rarely I'm out there  ;D

The pool? Yeah, could be noisy, but we're pretty used to that. Chez Bealman is all brick wall next to the pool, anyway. We actually used to get on well with the original neighbours who installed the original pool back in the eighties, and the young Bealettes would be over there often.

There is an epilogue which may yet bite them on the bum, too. The creek next to our property and theirs used to flow where the site of both dwellings is now, until it was diverted in the late 70's. When Chez Bealman was extended in 1988, reinforced extended concrete foundations had to be used, as it was just sloppy wet mud from six foot deep down!!

I was watching as they drilled the  holes for the piers of the new building, and sure enough, they encountered the same swamp. They have not reinforced the footings.

So what I'm saying is, it'll probably all sink and fall down in a couple of years anyway  >:D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

It gets better... the NSW Premier announced that as part of on-going restrictions, all construction work has to cease.

Monday morning now, and no banging at 7am!  :thumbsup:

Every cloud has a silver lining, or so they say.

guest311

Quote from: Bealman on July 19, 2021, 01:21:17 AM
no banging at 7am!  :thumbsup:

please, this is a family forum  :-[ :smiley-laughing:

The Q

About 20 years ago Builders bought an old boat yard about 100 yards away from my sailing club. They applied for permission for 25 houses and got permission for 11...
Then they did a test bore hole for Piles and hit solid at 25 ft so they went ahead....

Then all the piles went in to 90ft to 125ft, had we not been in a previous house price boom at the time they would have made a loss on those houses..

woodbury22uk

I have had a real stroke of luck today. Over the course of a few hours I have 6 emails from various restaurant/pub chains owned by breweries all reminding me to book early for my Christmas lunch. It seems I over-looked the electronic calendar message on my iPad back on 1 July which should have reminded me to get the Brussels sprouts on the go for Christmas day. So thank you, breweries,  for the reminder. Sprouts now on the hob and hopefully won't be too firm five months tomorrow. :-)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

railsquid

Quote from: woodbury22uk on July 24, 2021, 04:24:40 PM
I have had a real stroke of luck today. Over the course of a few hours I have 6 emails from various restaurant/pub chains owned by breweries all reminding me to book early for my Christmas lunch. It seems I over-looked the electronic calendar message on my iPad back on 1 July which should have reminded me to get the Brussels sprouts on the go for Christmas day. So thank you, breweries,  for the reminder. Sprouts now on the hob and hopefully won't be too firm five months tomorrow. :-)

Wait, how did you get that recipe from my paternal grandmother?!

joe cassidy

Surely that recipe comes from the late Paul Price, of Foster Street fame  :)

Malc

My favourite Carvery at Knowle has started reminding me to book for Christmas. Not something we would normally do in any case. Try to avoid overcrowded pubs, overpriced beer and overdone food at that time of year.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

railsquid

I am delighted to have just discovered a number plate which had fallen off a (newly acquired second hand Japanese) loco three months ago, and which would have been almost impossible to replace. I only noticed its loss after placing the loco on the layout to photograph it, and theoretically there were only a limited number of places it could have fallen, but one of those places was scenery with lots of gaps in it. (I did check for potentially loose bits before putting it on the layout, but evidently not carefully enough).

Bealman

Where'd you find it?

I've given up on the buffer on that NGS kit I built a couple of weeks ago.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations