Storm Ciaran

Started by Trainfish, November 01, 2023, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

It's windy and a little wet in Minehead right now but I hope all those on the South Coast have put their trains away and put sandbags outside their front/back doors. I've just seen a train go through Dawlish, unbelievable!

For those interested watch here:

Dawlish webcam

EDIT: I've just seen another. Amazed they're running tonight. I'll try to get a screen grab if another goes past.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Just took a look at that web cam. Interesting, even though it's almost midnight there. I could see the waves quite clearly.

(It's almost 11am here)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

It's still quite light down there, I think everyone has been panic buying candles.

This is the tallest wave I've seen. Missed a few though:

I've turned into a bit of a trainspotter tonight, here's a shortie HST:

John

<*))))><

port perran

Bit of a problem at our club room caused by last night's storm?
It was pretty violent down here.

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

martyn

That's not too good.

Hope that it hasn't caused too much damage and can be repaired quickly-though I think the rest of the day is still supposed to be bad in your area.

A lot of rain here, but top wind speeds so far gusts about 45kts; the Harwich-Hook and Europoort ferries, and I think the Felixstowe-Rotterdam ones all seem to be running, if a little late. The Orwell bridge at Ipswich is closed, and that's causing absolute traffic gridlock and chaos through the town.

Martyn

crewearpley40

I echo martyns comments

Hope the clubroom will be fixed and the layout is OK

Pretty wild rain where we are and gusts. Not been a day I wish to remember shunting coaches either with howling wind and driving rain

ntpntpntp

Really heavy wind and rain overnight here in the South East corner. In our back garden it's managed to shove a large storage box full of heavy garden tools 3m along and tip it over.   

I was watching a live cam of Folkestone Harbour Arm earlier and that was pretty bracing, don't think they'll be selling much ice-cream today!

It's calmed down at the moment but expecting more later.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Jim Easterbrook

We seem to have got off quite lightly here in the Epsom area. A lot of rain through the night though, and my weather station recorded the lowest air pressure it's ever seen. Had to adjust the axes on the graphs my software generates every hour.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Trainfish

Why are people still towing caravans on the M5? I saw one on its side this morning causing huge tailbacks Southbound. There are dozens more travelling both North and South, I'm not sure how many of them will make it to their destination though. We've had warnings about this storm all week and yet people are still so stupid to be towing these flimsy boxes behind them. I on the other hand, sensibly decided not to do any work at my Minehead site today, had a lie in and I'm nearly home now  :D
John

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Hard to understand why someone would park their car next to the sea and then wonder why it got blown into it, and a couple who decided to walk along the seafront and then be surprised when a wave took them into the sea. The sea must have recognised them as  :censored:  'cos it spat them back out again and the coastguard wasn't required. Are they trying for the Darwinian Prize?

Looks like we'll escape any really bad weather here in Lankyshire but please stay safe 'darn sarf'.
I certainly wouldn't want to be in the Channel Islands at present! :no:

chrism

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 02, 2023, 11:10:21 AMReally heavy wind and rain overnight here in the South East corner. In our back garden it's managed to shove a large storage box full of heavy garden tools 3m along and tip it over.

I remember the storm of '87 - the "Don't worry there's not going to be a hurricane" one. My bus to work the next morning had to take a very circuituous route around Southampton city centre, to avoid all the fallen trees.
When we finally got onto the main road around the back of the docks, the inside lane was closed off because all the top 40' containers in the stacks beside the fence had shifted one stack along - except, of course the ones on the end stacks which had nowhere to go except down and bounce onto the road !!!

Moonglum

My very old barometer was reading 943 millibars before I tapped it (now 950) a few minutes ago, does that correspond with your readings Jim @Jim Easterbrook ?

Cheers,

Tim (near High Wycombe)

Jim Easterbrook

My lowest reading was 954.4 hPa at 07:43 this morning. 943 would be very low, so you must have been nearer the centre of the storm. Or your barometer is uncalibrated.
Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook

I've just read that the Dutch have cancelled their annual "cycling into the wind" championships.
Jim Easterbrook

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations