A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Adam1701D

I did send some Electra vinyls for the 802 in TPx and Hull Trains liveries to Kato via Osbourns models. The feedback implied that reliverying an 800 to an 802, when there are detail differences would no be acceptable to the Japanese market and things rather fell flat.

From this, I would imagine that should 802/3/5/7 appear from Kato, these would have correct tooling.

Just speculation on my part.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Steven B

Quote from: GlenEglise on May 17, 2023, 08:19:44 PM

I guess I was wrong in shelling out for a five car set in that case......

CAVEAT EMPTOR

or whatever.

Not wrong - there was never any guarantee that Kato would follow the five car sets with the longer units.

Given GWR and LNER run the five car units alongside the 9 car sets I don't see a problem.

Steven B.

Adam1701D

LNER often turn out single 5-car sets on Lincoln or Harrogate services and twin 5-car sets are used on most other routes. It's no secret that LNER wanted an all 9-car fleet but had the 5-cars foisted on them by the Department of transport. It causes all sorts of problems with seat reservations, particularly if a 9 car set is substituted for 2x 5 car sets at short notice.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

steadfast

Because of the clip together nature of the models, they are very modular so to do an 802 roof would seem to be a simple enough step if Kato want to go that way.

Jo

ianwales

Quick Question, Have Kato only done 1 unit number for the GWR Class 800 IET? If so are there any transfers available to renumber?

Ian

njee20

Quote from: captainelectra on May 18, 2023, 09:05:31 AM
The feedback implied that reliverying an 800 to an 802, when there are detail differences would no be acceptable to the Japanese market and things rather fell flat.

From this, I would imagine that should 802/3/5/7 appear from Kato, these would have correct tooling.

Just speculation on my part.

Surprising given the level of detail is actually comparatively low compared to many other brands.

njee20

Quote from: ianwales on May 18, 2023, 05:25:30 PM
Quick Question, Have Kato only done 1 unit number for the GWR Class 800 IET? If so are there any transfers available to renumber?

Ian

Two I think, one in the bookset, and one in the Gaugemaster starter set.

Edit: no, looks like they're both 800 021.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 18, 2023, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: ianwales on May 18, 2023, 05:25:30 PM
Quick Question, Have Kato only done 1 unit number for the GWR Class 800 IET? If so are there any transfers available to renumber?

Ian

Two I think, one in the bookset, and one in the Gaugemaster starter set.

Edit: no, looks like they're both 800 021.

Correct, both the same running number. In fact the Gaugemaster set is literally the M1 set with the GWR 800 book (or LNER Azuma) in a bigger box.

I did see somebody re-number a GWR set to represent whichever unit is "Paddington", but I believe they made their own decals.

Skyline2uk


Trainfish

I haven't checked my second GWR set as I would need a magnifying glass to do so. Due to this I'm not worried if both are the same anyway. Interestingly though (to me anyway) my first set came with a few pieces of Kato track but the second set didn't. The LNER set also came with the track pieces. Was this just in the earlier sets?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.



To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Graham

Quote from: Trainfish on May 19, 2023, 11:59:53 PM
I haven't checked my second GWR set as I would need a magnifying glass to do so. Due to this I'm not worried if both are the same anyway. Interestingly though (to me anyway) my first set came with a few pieces of Kato track but the second set didn't. The LNER set also came with the track pieces. Was this just in the earlier sets?
I purchased 2 sets, one from Japan and one from the UK, I found the UK one had slightly different packaging including the track, and the one from Japan had no track. I think it was something to do with the distributor in the UK (Guagemaster?).

Kaput

The direct from Japan (and included in the Gaugemaster trainsets with the track) versions don't have the peices of track.

The actual intended for sale in the UK ones do.


Or at least thats how it seems from my experience.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: captainelectra on May 18, 2023, 09:05:31 AM
I did send some Electra vinyls for the 802 in TPx and Hull Trains liveries to Kato via Osbourns models. The feedback implied that reliverying an 800 to an 802, when there are detail differences would no be acceptable to the Japanese market and things rather fell flat.

From this, I would imagine that should 802/3/5/7 appear from Kato, these would have correct tooling.

Just speculation on my part.

Kato have a good track record with developing an extensive range of SNCF TGVs and incorporating small changes in window positions in the trailer cars to suit individual versions, so doing similar for the IET 800 series is not out of the question. However, Kato have never produced the 2+10 car SNCF Atlantique series, and I suspect that the reason is that it is a purely SNCF train for domestic French operation only. Its appeal in neighbouring European countries might be too limited to justify the tooling variations. The 800 series being purely domestic might limit sales outside the UK (and Japan), and recent steep price cuts by German retailers might signal that the wider European market for a purely British train is very limited. As an aside, the German price cuts still left the selling price higher than typical UK prices.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

davidinyork

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 23, 2023, 12:31:44 PM
Quote from: captainelectra on May 18, 2023, 09:05:31 AM
I did send some Electra vinyls for the 802 in TPx and Hull Trains liveries to Kato via Osbourns models. The feedback implied that reliverying an 800 to an 802, when there are detail differences would no be acceptable to the Japanese market and things rather fell flat.

From this, I would imagine that should 802/3/5/7 appear from Kato, these would have correct tooling.

Just speculation on my part.

Kato have a good track record with developing an extensive range of SNCF TGVs and incorporating small changes in window positions in the trailer cars to suit individual versions, so doing similar for the IET 800 series is not out of the question. However, Kato have never produced the 2+10 car SNCF Atlantique series, and I suspect that the reason is that it is a purely SNCF train for domestic French operation only. Its appeal in neighbouring European countries might be too limited to justify the tooling variations. The 800 series being purely domestic might limit sales outside the UK (and Japan), and recent steep price cuts by German retailers might signal that the wider European market for a purely British train is very limited. As an aside, the German price cuts still left the selling price higher than typical UK prices.

Have they actually sold many (or even marketed) the 800 models in the rest of Europe anyway? My understanding was that they were mainly intended for the Japanese market who will buy them in large numbers because Hitachi is a Japanese company, with the UK sales being less significant. Presumably this would apply to any other 80x variations too.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: davidinyork on May 23, 2023, 12:37:24 PM

Have they actually sold many (or even marketed) the 800 models in the rest of Europe anyway? My understanding was that they were mainly intended for the Japanese market who will buy them in large numbers because Hitachi is a Japanese company, with the UK sales being less significant. Presumably this would apply to any other 80x variations too.

Well they were offered outside the UK and Japan but do not appear to have sold well enough at the recommended price. The addition of the longer sets to the range will pair them with the 5 car sets in similar colour schemes. I can see the attraction. The big question is whether the niche liveries on other different 800 series trains will have sufficient appeal in Japan to justify tooling changes. The UK market alone would IMHO not provide that justification however attractive the colour schemes.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bob G

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 18, 2023, 10:54:37 PMI did see somebody re-number a GWR set to represent whichever unit is "Paddington", but I believe they made their own decals.

Skyline2uk



I see Kato is actually producing the Paddington Bear set

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/kato-10-1673-british-railways-class-8000-gwr-paddington-bear-5-cars-set-n-scale-57122-p.asp

The names "Paddington Bear" and "Michael Bond" are on the sides of both leading vehicles, as well as illustrations on various parts of the unit. There are other detail livery differences too.

Sure this will sell like hot cakes (or even marmalade sandwiches).

Bob

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations