Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Crikey! That's just nasty...

Did you know that the Modernisation Plan of 1955 envisaged the replacement of steam shunters by 1970 and that mainline steam engines would be replaced gradually within their nominal lifespan of 40 years? So BR could have had steam engines still around in the 80s or even 90s from that projection. Unlikely perhaps, but West Germany didn't get rid of them until about 1977 if I recall correctly. I've always wondered what sort of livery something like a 9F would have had in the days of the corporate image or for that matter sectors and branding! Imagine a 9F in Railfreight!

NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Caz

Quote from: scotsoft on July 12, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Quote from: NeMo on July 12, 2014, 09:12:54 AM
Hah! How cute would a resprayed Blue Pullman be in InterCity livery, or worse... Network Southeast!

Or even something like this  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

[smg id=13876 type=preview align=center caption="Virgin A4"]

It would look even better in FGW Dynamic Lines livery.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

Dear oh dear.... but it's good to see a tongue-in-cheek sense of humour. I shall peruse this site at my leisure!  :thumbsup:

On a serious note, NeMo, I'm an ex north east lad brought up next to ECML during the 50s & 60s, and the green Deltics I remember were pretty scruffy beasts.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scotsoft

Chetcombe

I think Bealman should get his beautiful new green Deltic transformed into a 21st century thing of classy elegance, such as this rather fetching GNER Blue livery...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?55023g1.jpg

A more modern name plate would finish it off perfectly. May I suggest 'England's World Cup Debacle 2014'

I'll get me coat...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Quote from: Chetcombe on July 12, 2014, 05:18:32 PM
I think Bealman should get his beautiful new green Deltic transformed into a 21st century thing of classy elegance, such as this rather fetching GNER Blue livery...

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?55023g1.jpg

A more modern name plate would finish it off perfectly. May I suggest 'England's World Cup Debacle 2014'

I'll get me coat...
:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
I like the name but the loco in the background is heaps better

oreamnos

Honrby/Minitrix Evening Star BR Standard 9F.  Bought second hand but didn't look much used.  Could be anywhere between 20 to 30 years old.  Ran well straight out of the box but needed some lubrication and a few minor adjustments.  Paid about 50 quid for it.  Haulage test suggests it can pull Everest.  Under magnification you can read "9F," the word "Last" on the plaque under the nameplate, and "British Railways" on the tender.  Not shabby for a 20-30 year old model.

I have a Dapol 9F Evening Star.  A nice enough model and ran OK after a LOT of fiddling but still won't pull much.  Also very fragile and I could hardly look at it without something falling off of it.  Basically a real "hanger queen" to use an aviation metaphor.  I far prefer the Minitrix.  It looks close enough to the real thing for my needs, runs well, and has detail that won't break off when I breathe on it.

Matt

Bealman

I have one and it's one of my most treasured locomotives, purchased circa 1988. As you say, its not at all bad, even down to wire handrails. Does the job, don't ya think?!  :thumbsup:

silly moo

They are quite wide locos so I always use mine to test platform clearances. I've hung on to most of my Minitrix locos because despite their age they are still good runners.

NeMo

I've got two Dapol 9Fs and love your description of them as "hanger queens". Absolutely! Look lovely, but super-fragile and not that reliable. Between them they have enjoyed 3 or 4 trips to BR Lines over the years. The wires between loco and tender are ridiculously flimsy and weakly soldered into place, and that drive shaft between the tender motor and the loco wheels is too thin and easily dislodged.

Anyway, ages ago Elvinley posted a photo of a Minitrix 9F that he got weathered (see below). In fact it was his post that introduced Grimy Times to me. It's not a perfect representation of a 9F, but it's close enough, and I'm sure its haulage abilities are to scale with the real thing, which is more than can be said for the Dapol equivalent.

I keep my eyes open for a modestly priced Minitrix 9F that I could get weathered like this one, and actually put to work on my layout instead of having sit in its card box box for fear of breaking something!

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: Elvinley on August 26, 2011, 08:38:01 PM
And a transformed Minitrix 9F

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Sipat

I have had a good month this month...

I bought a large collection and have kept some for myself before moving others on to new homes. Here is a shot of my keeps, all DCC fitted and like new and essentially were free given the rest of the collection was sold.

New Toys by Steve Purves, on Flickr

This one was also in the collection, I'm not sure about it so is currently back up for sale – DCC fitted.

20140713_233440 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Finally for now, this turned up at work today, Bargain at £50 including post and a DCC chip

new 122 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Still to arrive, a DCC fitted weathered BR blue 08 (new model) from an advert on RMweb for £40! And courtesy of our own 37058, pair of HEA wagons for barrier conversion and a 150/2 in provincial livery...

Candy Apple Head

I just got this used 8F no 48750 from Rails. I know the model is a bit long in the tooth but I decided I needed one for heavy freight duties on my Midland region layout. It's a good runner, a bit noisy but goes over insulfrogs with ease and pulls well.

Bealman

From your photos, that 8F looks OK to me. Canny buy!

Newportnobby

If there is one Farish steamer that deserves retooling, the 8F would be top of my list :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations