Graham Farish 2019

Started by guest2, January 14, 2019, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: honestjudge on February 13, 2020, 04:30:41 PM
Maybe Hornby should buy out Graham Farish!
I think this idea is sufficiently out there to be a fun thought. I had thought of being sensible and commenting on that but then I thought well....stranger things have happened.
chill and ride the breeze
Bob

Steven B

I'd be suprised if the price rises were purely down to N Gauge models having to cover their own costs over a lower volume of models compared to the OO Gauge range. Haing spoken to Colin Albright and Dennis Lovett in the past I was never left with the impression that OO Gauge models were subsidising those in the smaller scale.

Rapido Trains have in the past said that one of the problems of producing British models is the cost of printing all the lettering. Each different colour needs a pass through the tampo printing machine. North American models with two or three colours takes less time than a British model - count the number of colours in a BR crest for example. I'm sure I've read recently that one manufacturer had to allocate two machines to printing BR crests as one on its own didn't have enough colours.

The price rises are unfortunate but inevatable. I've certainly scaled back my purchases and have been buying more models second hand. I've virtually stopped buying models just because they look nice and am now looking through my stock box to see what I'm actually likely to run and use. With some of the newer models I may also take the risk of leaving some purchases until prices drop. 1st class Mk1s are easy to come by for example so I may leave any Mk2F purchases until prices drop.

A bigger problem to me is the delays to the production of new models. The Mk2Fs have taken years longer than they needed to and even simple re-liveries are coming out a year or two beyond the 18 month period the catalogues used to cover. To a certain extent the new Thomas range has taken a lot of the factory capacity and I'm sure will earn them more than any LMS or GWR model ever would.

Steven B.

njee20

The same is happening in OO FWIW, there's a thread on RMWeb bemoaning the fact that the new Bachmann BEP (which is basically 3/4 old tooling from the CEP) is £450.

Perhaps it's the same story with competing against larger runs of other Kader products like US models, but even so...

Paddy

Possibly the model railway hobby (for new products) will go full circle in the years ahead and return to a rich man's hobby...

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

njee20

Not sure it's ever been anything but, really. In relative terms at least.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on February 12, 2020, 05:07:43 PM
The Voyager remains bizarre, as they say it's a "revised Virgin livery", but that was never carried by any of the 220s, which were all transferred to Cross Country.

So far as I know it was only carried by one 221, so not exactly mainstream even with them!

It's also worth noting that all the Voyager models (220 and 221), in both scales, are only correct for the original livery (i.e. Virgin), and the XC one. In recent years the real ones have all had the vallences on the front replaced with new ones of a different shape.

jpendle

Here's my dilemma.

I can buy a 16 coach Highland sleeper, plus a DCC sound equipped CL92 from Revolution for around 800 pounds, OR I can buy two Farish Voyagers in an incorrect livery with no DCC at all instead.

Hmmm, what to do?

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Whilst I totally agree with the sentiment let's be a bit fair here... Actually 16 mk5s and a 92 is nearer £1,000 (the coaches are £720), we don't know the livery is incorrect, it's just a curious description, and it'll be £340 in the shops.

jpendle

@njee20

I stand corrected. As I live in the US I see prices minus VAT, so you are quite right, not a fair comparison.

The 800 pounds would be around 960 once VAT is added back in.

Oh well!

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Ah yes, that makes sense. I still conceptually agree though - a sound fitted 92 and 7 mk5s is significantly cheaper than a pair of Voyagers!

davidinyork

With prices like these, is it going to reach the point where the market diminishes too much for it to be viable at all, given the number of people who will be unable (nor not prepared) to pay this much for a single model? Particularly in a case like this, where it's quite an old model anyway and one which seems to be generally regarded as adequate but no more.

Paddy

Sadly it becomes an ever decreasing circle... due to small market the prices go up, this causes the market to shrink further and the prices go up and so on...

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Rabbitaway

It is my observation that Bachmann make very little effort to market and engage with their customers in the context of modern media.

Just consider the how the competition operate, Hornby are now very active with their public profile,  Hattons have regular YouTube updates, Revolution directly engage with their customers on forums such as this.

At shows Buchmann close their stand to all but their club members, just compare this to the open and welcoming stands that Hornby and Hattons operate, even Dapol have a better level of interaction.

My view is that Buchmann have a poor business culture, outdated business model and a level of arrogance which will see them decline in both N and 00. This is made worse with their high prices and restrictions placed on which retailers they will do business with.

There is a market out there it just needs simulated by engagement, profile and appropriate pricing

silly moo

I have to agree with you about Bachmann's poor media presence, I have always found their customer service department very helpful but it's very difficult to get excited about any of their few new releases as they take so long to appear. This is a real shame because I think they do make very good products, just a few rather expensive ones.

It's quite a few years since I bought anything new from them, I've waited patiently until the locos I fancy are for sale second hand.

maridunian

Quote from: Paddy on February 14, 2020, 12:19:00 PM
Possibly the model railway hobby (for new products) will go full circle in the years ahead and return to a rich man's hobby...

Paddy

I was stunned to recently discover the RRP of a Bachmann SMBP 14T tank wagon is £23.

Quote from: silly moo on February 16, 2020, 12:59:47 PM

It's quite a few years since I bought anything new from them, I've waited patiently until the locos I fancy are for sale second hand.

Likewise my collection is almost entirely pre-loved or built. As with second hand cars, depreciation can be your friend!

There's a bigger picture that's affected all our imports:

Twelve years ago a thing made elsewhere in the world valued at $US50 cost us £25 + 17.5% VAT = £29.37.

Today the same thing will cost us £38.46 + 20% VAT = £46.17, an increase of over 50%.

Average weekly pay last year was £474. This was the first time it exceeded the pre-downturn peak of £473 recorded in March 2008.

Personally I'm happy buying second hand and making/re-liverying what I can't, but I doubt even the most ardent collectors can carry on supporting such expensive suppliers indefinitely.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations