Royal Mail postage rates....

Started by Dock Shunter, August 21, 2014, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dock Shunter

Hello all.... :thumbsup:

I have a few items (locos) that i want to list on the N'porium.
When i use the delivery price calculator on the Royal Mail site,the only price option i can choose is the "Special Delivery",
which for a loco works out at £7.15.

Is this the only option of delivery i have, or is there a cheaper one.
Thanks in advance

:beers:....Ste

scotsoft

I have just gone through the site with a fictitious small parcel, value £50, weight 500g, proof of delivery and within 2 to 3 days.  So you should be able to get it for £4.30 first or £3.90 second

[smg id=15054 type=preview align=center caption="Capture"]

cheers John.

Agrippa

1s that for special delivery guaranteed by a certain time like 9am or 1 pm ?  Signed for 1st or 2nd class is cheaper
than that I think.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Dock Shunter

Thanks fellas... :thumbsup:

John, i tried the first class signed for option,but if the value of the item is more than £50,you have to choose the £100 value option. Then the calculator takes you straight to the special delivery option.
Would it be advisable to send an item with the £50 value option,even though the item is worth a bit more.
I just don't want any potential customers paying high postage fees...

:beers:...Ste..... :NGaugersRule:

scotsoft

Quote from: Dock Shunter on August 21, 2014, 01:03:03 PM

Would it be advisable to send an item with the £50 value option,even though the item is worth a bit more.
I just don't want any potential customers paying high postage fees...

:beers:...Ste..... :NGaugersRule:

Unfortunately that would have to be your choice to make  :hmmm:

How much over the £50 are you thinking about?

You could always give the buyer the choice of rates  ;)

cheers John.

Newportnobby

All our forum mugs are sent out 1st class signed for but as they are worth less than £50 (just :D) I use the lower rate.
However, if I am sending out a loco which I consider to be worth more than £50 then I bite the bullet and pay/charge the 'Special Delivery' cost of £7+.
I appreciate you don't want to overcharge people, Ste, but as long as they know from the outset what the cost of the postage will be you should be fine. After all, you have to protect yourself as well as the buyer, and if said loco arrives damaged you not just have to take it back but refund the postage return cost and everyone ends up disappointed.
Special Delivery automatically insures the item for up to £500, I believe :hmmm:

Dock Shunter

Quote from: newportnobby on August 21, 2014, 03:39:08 PM

However, if I am sending out a loco which I consider to be worth more than £50 then I bite the bullet and pay/charge the 'Special Delivery' cost of £7+.
I appreciate you don't want to overcharge people, Ste, but as long as they know from the outset what the cost of the postage will be you should be fine. After all, you have to protect yourself as well as the buyer, and if said loco arrives damaged you not just have to take it back but refund the postage return cost and everyone ends up disappointed.
Special Delivery automatically insures the item for up to £500, I believe :hmmm:

Thanks Mick.... :thumbsup:

Of course you are right.
Better to be totally safe than sorry.

:beers:..Ste...... :NGaugersRule:

DesertHound

I'd go with the general consensus above on this one. Buying stuff on ebay I do sometimes think about postage costs. I conclude that if I drove to the shops (money for petrol), looked for parking (time), and then actually parked (a ridiculously larger sum of money) then the postage isn't a great deal more. It's one way of looking at it I guess.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Bigric

As a regular Ebayer , I have stuff going off in the post (Royal Mail , never used anyone else) from my wonderful local PO at Stretton (nr Stockton Heath , Warrington) on a regular basis . For the last few months , virtually everything I post out goes 2nd class , small parcel...£2.80 for up to 1kg . The only regular exception to this are the points (n gauge) which I sell  from time to time , which always go out large letter , 2nd class in a small padded envelope . Tempting fate I know , but VERY rarely any probs at all , nor with the parcels I receive .
                               I used to use the online PO price finder from time to time , but not now....I'm not keen on the way it works & the options it gives you . I ALWAYS get a new leaflet each year when the prices go up & I have a very good , cheap but accurate digital scales machine which has been invaluable over the years . In the last few years , I have sold quite a bit of Moorcroft pottery & other china (de-cluttering !) through Ebay - when I posted that sort of stuff , I quite often gave options in postage for signed for or special delivery , but only because that is often what seems to be expected on Ebay in those particular subject areas . Obviously , some items were valuable as well ! Regards to all , Ric

Agrippa

DesertHound

Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Agrippa

No, but it is a good pun !  I pride myself on my quick and sophisticated wit,
but that was unintentional.  :D

Hopefully on the right lines ! Excrutiating pun!   :D

njee20

Unless something is really urgent when I'll use Special Delivery, I just don't find RM competitive any more, particularly if it's outside their "small parcel" dimensions. There have also been a number of instances of them stealing things under the pretence of being 'dangerous', then sending them off for auction using their own service to ship...

For most things now I'd sooner use MyHermes, more convenient, cheaper, plenty of options for increased insurance, signatures etc etc.

Admittedly most railway stuff does fall as large letter/small parcel, but I think RM have really lost it a bit in the last couple of years!

Bigric

OK njee , so say we decide to go down the Hermes route for smallish parcels . How does it work ? Do we have to go to their local depot , or do they come & collect ? I honestly have no idea as its something I've never looked at as an option . Some info would be gratefully received !! Thanks , Ric

njee20

They can collect for a small premium (20p if I recall), or you can drop off at various corner shops that they affiliate with - map here.

You do all the details online, then print the paperwork and stick it on your parcel. All you need to know is the weight - and they only care to the nearest kilo I think.

Must say I use them more for bike things - items like tyres are bulky, but relatively low value, so it'll depend a little what you're sending.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations