Sadly, another problem with a Dapol 45XX recently purchased.

Started by DWS, August 30, 2014, 07:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWS

As mentioned in another post of mine earlier (Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase) I have just purchased a Dapol 45XX, one of the New 'Re-issued' ones (2S-014-002).  It is a really nice looking loco however, on taking it out of the box, oiling it properly and putting it on my layout to test it, it seemed to run very well but when I slow it down to a stand-still and then apply power again it needs a slight push to get it going again.  I tried two of my other locos on the layout to make sure the problem wasn't with the track etc. and they ran fine, fast and slow.  But the 45XX just keeps stalling, even on different straight parts of the track.  Is this another case of the dreaded 'Dapol Disease'.  :worried:  :'(
Midsomer Magna - A fictional station in the West Country.

Roy L S

It could be one of a few things.

Chemical wheel blackening forming a partial isolating layer till it wears away is not uncommon.

Pickups making poor contact (not easy to dismantle the loco to fix due to glued joins) another possible.

Also check the pickup on the rear pony-truck (two tabs bearing on the inside faces of the rear wheels) are making good contact and remain in contact on curves.

Roy

DWS

Hi Roy, Sorry I may have mis-led you with my post, I have now modified the post, rather than stalling when it is running, it actually needs a push to get it going when I stop it anywhere.  Sorry.

Newportnobby

Can I ask how long and at what speed you have run the loco in at? I find almost all my Dapol locos take more than an hour to run in and bed down.

DWS

Quote from: newportnobby on August 30, 2014, 09:19:42 PM
Can I ask how long and at what speed you have run the loco in at? I find almost all my Dapol locos take more than an hour to run in and bed down.

No more than an hour, but I wouldn't have expected it to just not run again after just slowing down stoping it?  It seems to run fine but if you slow down and stop, say at the station, it just won't move again without a shove.  It does this 7 out of 10 times.  As it's a 6ft end-to-end layout I can't get much continuous speed up.

Didn't have this problem with my two Dapol Pannier Tanks.

Newportnobby

Thanks - just trying to investigate all possibilities :hmmm:
I really would recommend a rolling road so you can run your locos constantly, even whilst having a cuppa and browsing the forum :D

DWS

Good idea, it's a shame 'cos it's a nice loco but getting very frustrating when you have to keep giving it a shove every now and again... :(

Newportnobby

Can I also suggest you have a squint at the motion on each side to see if something is maybe binding somewhere?
When oiling to run in (where advised to) I also apply a very light lube to the motion via a needle tip applicator (a cocktail stick will do at a pinch)

DWS

Oiling was done to the cogs and to the motion, had a very good lesson on oiling from Ollie (Hi Ollie, if you're about) when he was at Rails, I use one of those 'Oil Pens' which has a needle applicator.

Newportnobby

Quote from: DWS on August 30, 2014, 10:26:01 PM
Oiling was done to the cogs and to the motion, had a very good lesson on oiling from Ollie (Hi Ollie, if you're about) when he was at Rails, I use one of those 'Oil Pens' which has a needle applicator.

Sounds like the Gaugemaster one I use, Dave.
Sorry, but the only other thing I can think of is that Dapol have over lubed the loco (not unknown) and it's maybe got onto the brushes.
I don't see why you should have to faff about with a new loco and, in your shoes, I would return it for replacement.

DWS

I agree, I'll probably give the dealer a call on Monday and see what they say.

Dr Al

Quote from: newportnobby on August 30, 2014, 10:31:26 PM
Sorry, but the only other thing I can think of is that Dapol have over lubed the loco (not unknown) and it's maybe got onto the brushes.

Very unlikely as it uses a sealed can motor.

45xx's seem prone to this - I would suspect it's pickups or chemical blackening, or a particularly sticky motor.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DWS

A quick update, after deciding the loco may have to be returned as faulty I decided to put it back in it's packaging, on looking inside the plastic box I noticed a piece of black plastic lurking at the bottom of the box, it looked to be part of the loco but I couldn't identify it however, there was evidence that it was once attached to the loco and had broken off.  It had obviously been hiding under the loco when I removed it from the box when it arrived and I hadn't noticed it.  I am guessing that it might have been an appendage that got broken off the loco when it was packed by the manufacturer.  I'm not saying that it had anything to do with the faults described but it seems the loco was damaged slightly before its arrival.  So, the loco is now on its way back to the dealer for a refund.

Being the third Dapol loco I have had to return as faulty in a year I am now loosing faith in Dapol locos, which is a shame because they look really nice.  There may well be good ones out there that give no trouble at all and maybe I have just been unlucky however, I shall think very carefully before buying another one.   :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations