Nelevation - an automatic smart fiddle yard

Started by Caz, September 06, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

I rather like the Nelevation idea. While it's not for everyone, it does provide a pretty stylish way of displaying stock that's not directly in use and keeping it safe and ready to run.

While wondering about the problem of storing larger numbers of trains with it though, I thought of a modification. A lot of us use cassette style fiddle yards (typically on end-to-end style layouts) where you just plug the cassette into the end of the layout and the train runs off, through and off the other side (or on and back). I was wondering if it would be practical to do a quick feed cassette system for the Nelevation. The easiest of course, would simply to be to have a set of points where it feeds the trains out at the bottom running to where a cassette can be plugged in at the side (or back) of the layout. So you can quickly run a new train in to the elevator from a cassette or unload one from the nellievator to a cassette. The other one would involve a bit of a modification though and would be to have a second 'door' at the top of the unit where a cassette could be plugged in to load trains into it.

Adding cassettes would make it a very practical system for storage of stock as you'd be able to have 7 in action at once on the nellivator and as many as you want ready to swap in on cassettes.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Zwilnik on October 25, 2015, 01:08:10 AMThe easiest of course, would simply to be to have a set of points where it feeds the trains out at the bottom running to where a cassette can be plugged in
other one would involve a bit of a modification though and would be to have a second 'door' at the top (**) of the unit where a cassette could be plugged in to load trains into it.
Nice thinking !
(dare I say "out of the box" ? or even "lateral" ?  :) )

(**) or at any convenient intermediate level maybe,,,,
above or below baseboard but 'off scene' / fiddle,,,
still thinking aloud on this ,,,
I dunno, but I am still thinking about how this differs from a traverser ?
Ok so it is rotated thro 90deg, it goes up and down instead of side to side, but each have (potentially) two ways in and two ways out,
the lefthand in/out can be connected to the layout as a terminus, the right hand can be connected to the other bit of the (a) interrupted  roundy-roundy,, or even to a cassete system as Z. says

Sorry if this is off topic, or not Georgehgv,
or maybe I should shut up and go to bed,
or maybe we need a @mod split topic to discuss the 'idea' away from (appearing to crit. and, by default unappreciative of the sliced bread,,) the particular thingie ?

georgehgv

IMHO (in my HUMBLE opinion) I doubt that the Nelevator was designed to be taken on tour or hold train lengths that would need enormous rooms to accommodate them lest alone a track long enough to run them, I believe it was intended for the average modeller that is stuck for space for a fiddle yard in an average house and to that  end I also believe this is a great idea and that is why I ordered one and I am looking forward to the day it arrives.
I am after all Mr Average and it fits my desires. If Mr Exhibition or Mr Mansion don't agree that is their choice to buy or not, or perhaps they can go one better and design what does suit them and not keep putting this product down, someone said you can't please all the people all the time.
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

MalcolmInN

Quote from: georgehgv on October 25, 2015, 05:28:55 AMand not keep putting this product down,
That is the problem, it seems that anyone who doesnt bubble over with enthusiasm and a healthy glow is seen as "not positive" (one of your earlier posts) or even as anti-
so that is why I think another thread about the general idea, the concept, and not this specific product would be good,
then we could leave Alan in peace to get on with his brilliant idea whilst we got on with some humble chat ?

In fact, now that it has reached the commercial marketing stage I suppose any more umble opinion and comment from me is a waste of my typing finger   so I shall (maybe!) not appear in this thread again  {edit : Duh! Didnt take me long to break that !!  :laugh: } and umbly suggest that it is nolonger a "N Gauge Discussion" section topic ? {EDIT : maybe now a "Review" section candidate ? }

Enjoy your elevator George :)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 25, 2015, 01:44:53 AM
or at any convenient intermediate level
For an orrible moment I thought I had fallen into a previous conceptual trap, in that we need always to access a Vertical Transporter such as the Nelevator by its middle road.
However in the case of Zwilnik's Casette Injection Manifold (!) I think it could be at any level because the normal action of the transporter and the rest of the layout could then be used to move the inserted train to any of the other levels, , , ?

sorry for quoting myself :)

zwilnik

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 25, 2015, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 25, 2015, 01:44:53 AM
or at any convenient intermediate level
For an orrible moment I thought I had fallen into a previous conceptual trap, in that we need always to access a Vertical Transporter such as the Nelevator by its middle road.
However in the case of Zwilnik's Casette Injection Manifold (!) I think it could be at any level because the normal action of the transporter and the rest of the layout could then be used to move the inserted train to any of the other levels, , , ?

sorry for quoting myself :)

It would be very interesting for a multi-level mountain railway layout. Either alongside helixes in the mountains or as the system for elevating the trains through the levels. Train passes, goes into a tunnel and as you're watching another train pass at a different level the original train (having been nellievated) appears from a tunnel at another level.

I think it's important to see the Nelevator as what it is and can do and not what it's not suitable for. It isn't important to make a product that suits everybody just one that works well for the task and customers it's intended for. If there is a market for the exhibition customers then maybe a 'pro' version can be developed specifically for them if there's the demand. But after the main version is done ;)

MikeDunn

Quote from: red_death on October 25, 2015, 12:34:03 AM
I wonder why the need to post negatives though!
I'm not sure people are "posting negatives", rather they are (or seem to be) posting memento mori ...

If the only things posted are along the lines of "OMG !  This is better than sliced bread ! I need twenty NOW !" (OK, an exaggeration - but not by very much !) then Alan et al are given a wholly one-sided view that things are golden and rosy & he'll be a millionaire by Christmas ... 

I see nothing wrong with people having and posting a different view-point, and indeed feel the attacks against those who aren't caught in the thrall are frankly out of order ...  These people are entitled to post their own opinion, after all.  Anything else is akin to censorship at best, (and I won't go down the "at worst").

georgehgv

A positive view on Nelevation in the Autumn issue of N Gauge Now. How refreshing to see enthusiasm and encouragement for the creator instead if criticisms in this thread. Long may good words be said. :claphappy:
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

georgehgv

Nelevator at Warley this weekend final few orders needed to start manufacture, make sure this happens and pledge your support and sign up please.

Railwaygun

Nelevator Project Update
View this email in your browser

Nelevator Project Update
Dear Nelevators,

As we approach our first milestone in realising our goal to achieve 50 orders for the Nelevator before 18th December, it is with great excitement and some surprise that I can inform you that we already have 42 confirmed orders!

With the Warley show coming up this weekend and press articles coming up in Model Rail and British Railway Modeller (with a free DVD showing the Nelly in action!) I am extremely confident that we will reach our target and take the project into production.

I have been overwhelmed by the kind words and support you have given. I still can't believe how well the concept has been received and how quickly we have reached the point of committing to manufacture. Thank you to everyone for your support. We are really proud to be bringing Nelevation to life.

Our Next Show
Since first exhibiting the Nelevator at TINGS, only back in September, we've been to The National Festival in Peterborough and will be at Warley this weekend.

Unfortunately, as we booked late, we will only have a 6 foot stand so won't be able to bring the demo layout. But we'll be there with the Nelevator in action, and we'll have a video of it in operation, so hopefully we'll get some more interest.

Productionisation
Richard and I have been working hard on the industrialisation of the design for production, technical refinement and continued testing to ensure that we comply to relevant electrical and safety standards and produce a robust, reliable product.

We are about to commit to a new circuit board design that will eliminate some electrical noise issues we've been having, but in addition will incorporate an extra serial connector which will allow for future development of accessories and full DCC communication.

We have now finalised our component supply chain and will be ordering an initial batch of 5 units to test the supply chain and allow us to continue testing on multiple units and submit one for electrical emissions and susceptibility testing.

I will update you all again immediately after the December deadline to confirm our plans for production. In January, we will be asking for the 50% deposit which will contribute to tooling costs and stock build. Building the order list has been a great help as it has primarily given us the drive and enthusiasm to carry on but also allowed us to understand the split in size variants required.

Early Bird Discount
If you haven't already placed an order, please remember that the early supporters 10% discount ends on the 18th December, so place your order now!

Thank you all again for your amazing support. I am aware that it requires a lot of trust in us and I can assure you that we will bring this product to market.

Future Shows
We have already committed to exhibiting at Model Rail Scotland in February and are hoping to be at York in March. In the meantime, we hope to see you at Warley this weekend.

Many Thanks from all at the Nelevation team:

Richard "the sparks" Farrar, who has developed all the electronics and software, Jeannie, Sue, Jack and Jackie.

Also big thanks to our extraordinary, volunteer publicity duo of George and Peter for spreading the Nelevation word at every opportunity.

All the best,

Allen
   Twitter
   Facebook
   YouTube
   Website
   Email
Copyright © 2015 Nelevation.com, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website Nelevation.com to receive updates on our Nelevator range of model railway elevation products.

Our mailing address is:
Nelevation.com
Unit 1 Broughton Business Centre
Causeway RoadHuntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE28 3AR
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Chetcombe

Make that 43. The Kato points in my fiddle yard are starting to play up...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

georgehgv

Quote from: Railwaygun on November 27, 2015, 01:12:44 AM

Nelevator Project Update
View this email in your browser

Nelevator Project Update
Dear Nelevators,

As we approach our first milestone in realising our goal to achieve 50 orders for the Nelevator before 18th December, it is with great excitement and some surprise that I can inform you that we already have 42 confirmed orders!

With the Warley show coming up this weekend and press articles coming up in Model Rail and British Railway Modeller (with a free DVD showing the Nelly in action!) I am extremely confident that we will reach our target and take the project into production.

I have been overwhelmed by the kind words and support you have given. I still can't believe how well the concept has been received and how quickly we have reached the point of committing to manufacture. Thank you to everyone for your support. We are really proud to be bringing Nelevation to life.

Our Next Show
Since first exhibiting the Nelevator at TINGS, only back in September, we've been to The National Festival in Peterborough and will be at Warley this weekend.

Unfortunately, as we booked late, we will only have a 6 foot stand so won't be able to bring the demo layout. But we'll be there with the Nelevator in action, and we'll have a video of it in operation, so hopefully we'll get some more interest.

Productionisation
Richard and I have been working hard on the industrialisation of the design for production, technical refinement and continued testing to ensure that we comply to relevant electrical and safety standards and produce a robust, reliable product.

We are about to commit to a new circuit board design that will eliminate some electrical noise issues we've been having, but in addition will incorporate an extra serial connector which will allow for future development of accessories and full DCC communication.

We have now finalised our component supply chain and will be ordering an initial batch of 5 units to test the supply chain and allow us to continue testing on multiple units and submit one for electrical emissions and susceptibility testing.

I will update you all again immediately after the December deadline to confirm our plans for production. In January, we will be asking for the 50% deposit which will contribute to tooling costs and stock build. Building the order list has been a great help as it has primarily given us the drive and enthusiasm to carry on but also allowed us to understand the split in size variants required.

Early Bird Discount
If you haven't already placed an order, please remember that the early supporters 10% discount ends on the 18th December, so place your order now!

Thank you all again for your amazing support. I am aware that it requires a lot of trust in us and I can assure you that we will bring this product to market.

Future Shows
We have already committed to exhibiting at Model Rail Scotland in February and are hoping to be at York in March. In the meantime, we hope to see you at Warley this weekend.

Many Thanks from all at the Nelevation team:

Richard "the sparks" Farrar, who has developed all the electronics and software, Jeannie, Sue, Jack and Jackie.

Also big thanks to our extraordinary, volunteer publicity duo of George and Peter for spreading the Nelevation word at every opportunity.

All the best,

Allen
   Twitter
   Facebook
   YouTube
   Website
   Email
Copyright © 2015 Nelevation.com, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website Nelevation.com to receive updates on our Nelevator range of model railway elevation products.

Our mailing address is:
Nelevation.com
Unit 1 Broughton Business Centre
Causeway RoadHuntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE28 3AR
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

Just to clarify, this is the email circulated to those who expressed interest in Nelevator and is the latest great news. George

Firefox

It's a very neat concept, and actually not that much more expensive than all the points, wiring,  trackwork and motors if it comes in at £600-800.

I can see it having a good market in the US. They seem to love long trains, multi levels and automation over there, so this would be ideal.

Hope you guys can get it into production  :laugh3:

Ben A

Hello all,

My understanding is that the take up at Warley was such that Allen has reached the 50-or-so order total he needed, and production will ensue.

I am not sure if he is taking further orders, or whether that's it for now.  If you're interested I suggest emailing him.

cheers

Ben A.

Topcat

I have ordered a short ready made before warley, as I thought the take up would kick off at/after the show. Saw the guys at warley too and had a look at exactly how it works. Looks great and saved me enough room on my fiddle yard board to put in a refuelling depot.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations