KR Models expressions of interest

Started by Les1952, October 08, 2020, 10:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les1952

It might just be that I've not managed to find a mention BUT-

KR Models are inviting expressions of interest on their website for the following-

Tyne Dock to Consett bogie iron Ore hoppers.

No money required at this stage.

They are also still asking for expressions of interest for

GT3 in N
Fell diesel in N
and Shark brake in N, though the last one has a price tag attached so might be close to the pre-order stage.

If this duplicates a thread I've failed to find would the moderators please move it to the appropriate place in the forum

Les
(I've put me down for 9 hoppers and a Fell- the latter a rule 1 engine)

JonMann

Put my interest down a couple of months ago for the GT3 and the Fell, especially want the GT3 as I saw a beautiful 5 inch gauge version at the Model Engineering Exhibition a few years back which was powered by a turbine and sounded awesome. Did ask them about a N version of the Bulleid Leader that they are looking for interest in OO but got a negative for that.

njee20

They seem, like a handful of other brands, to be in that category of not really pushing N gauge, and then not offering anything because the volume isn't there. The OO gauge ones sell well, so they always go ahead.

There are lengthy threads for most of KR's models on RMWeb. For me there are still some pretty big warning flags, but we'll see when the first GT3s arrive shortly.

Bob G

Another interesting choice. Very restricted region, restricted era, and requiring specific versions of 9F not yet made in N.

Can I suggest as an equally esoteric alternative the 92t glw bogie aggregates hoppers Diag PH003A built 1970/71 at Hartlepool by IMC Ltd. Just 11 made Nos. 17001 - 17011 and owned by Francis Parker Ltd.  Ran from Lavant to Chichester, about 6 miles on a freight siding (former branch line) because the roads around the gravel extraction were very small C class roads and unsuitable for road traffic. At least the locos for hauling these exist in N. (33 and 73).

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page/1689/

Bob

IF ANYONE WAS IN ANY DOUBT, THIS IS VERY MUCH TONGUE IN CHEEK

jpendle

According to the bods on RMWEB, the detailed underframe is a great idea, it's just a pity that they've got it wrong. :doh:
Should be 4 air cylinders not 2, and they should be connected to the doors not the brakes.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Bob G

FWIW I've now got two NGS Shark kits on the go. I reckon that it will be another decade before there an RTR one (unless Kernow/EFE has one up their sleeve).  I just can't see KR getting round to doing this model.

emjaybee

I think they're going to struggle in N until such time as something is actually produced and critiqued. Until then they're pushing themselves further into a DJM situation by frequently announcing new models before anything is tangible.

I still think they're also wildly into the 'far out' zone with chosen models. I can't help thinking that they ought to get something produced that's more 'mainstream' before heading off into the niche section of rolling stock.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Quote from: jpendle on October 09, 2020, 05:45:52 PM
According to the bods on RMWEB, the detailed underframe is a great idea, it's just a pity that they've got it wrong. :doh:
Should be 4 air cylinders not 2, and they should be connected to the doors not the brakes.

They've got form, they hastily announced and then sort of cancelled IQA/KUAs, but the wagons they were proposing were a composite of both prototypes, and were basically fictitious. Then it all petered out when Accurascale announced the KUAs.

They took out adverts in the press advertising the second run of GT3s with quotes saying something like "following the overwhelming success of the first run" despite no one yet having received one. They've announced at least 5 projects, again despite not having delivered one. There remain unanswered questions about handling of shipping and returns, given they're based in Canada.

I'm a big advocate for new players in the industry, but I'm not rushing to give them money.

Roy L S

Quote from: Les1952 on October 08, 2020, 10:44:06 PM
It might just be that I've not managed to find a mention BUT-

KR Models are inviting expressions of interest on their website for the following-

Tyne Dock to Consett bogie iron Ore hoppers.

No money required at this stage.

They are also still asking for expressions of interest for

GT3 in N
Fell diesel in N
and Shark brake in N, though the last one has a price tag attached so might be close to the pre-order stage.

If this duplicates a thread I've failed to find would the moderators please move it to the appropriate place in the forum

Les
(I've put me down for 9 hoppers and a Fell- the latter a rule 1 engine)

I believe the GW King in N is also among their proposed models?

From what I have seen of the 00 GT3 it looks rather good based on my limited knowledge, as others have said feedback on production samples of these will help cement their reputation.

Roy

njee20

Not sure about cementing it. It'll quash some of the concerns!

They certainly seem to be very receptive to feedback from customers, they changed the drive of the GT3 in response to feedback, but the flip side of that is that it feels like they require "design by committee" due to some of the glaring errors their designs include.

I don't want to be unduly negative, I'd just wait and see myself. I'll also eat my hat if they ever release anything in N gauge; until they accept it's a smaller market and therefore lower volume. Can't blame them - OO is just a bigger pie to go at.

Dalek

Quote from: emjaybee on October 09, 2020, 07:03:20 PM
I think they're going to struggle in N until such time as something is actually produced and critiqued. Until then they're pushing themselves further into a DJM situation by frequently announcing new models before anything is tangible.

I still think they're also wildly into the 'far out' zone with chosen models. I can't help thinking that they ought to get something produced that's more 'mainstream' before heading off into the niche section of rolling stock.

I've tried to share info on models they have been looking to produce in the past in n as i want them as well but i agree about the choice. Easy ones to choose would be the the LMS twins, Metrovic co-bo, a rtr brake tender even would be welcome ! Lots of other early diesels etc to choose from as well.

Craig

emjaybee

Quote from: Dalek on October 10, 2020, 05:05:31 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on October 09, 2020, 07:03:20 PM

I've tried to share info on models they have been looking to produce in the past in n as i want them as well but i agree about the choice. Easy ones to choose would be the the LMS twins, Metrovic co-bo, a rtr brake tender even would be welcome ! Lots of other early diesels etc to choose from as well.

Craig

Exactly, there's a myriad of things they could produce which would be easier and quicker to manufacture. Then they'd have a track record to lean on for the more exotic items.

I really DO want them to succeed, as the more people that enter the fray, the greater chance of somebody doing the 'Twins' or the Beyer-Garratt (although that's probably a poisoned well with Hattons 'supposedly' manufacturing it) or many of the other locos/stock that's missing.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Paddy

Never really understood the concept of announcing numerous projects.  I would have thought it better to choose a relatively "simple" piece of rolling stock (like the Shark), get it right and deliver it on time at a competitive price.

Sadly there have been too many "let downs" in models over the years and not surprisingly people are wary.  Revolution have shown that there is no substitute for delivery.

Having said this, I wish KRM every success and hope the Shark does make it.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

longbow

Inviting multiple EOIs is a sensible way of assessing what might fly, especially as here where the projects are already under way in a larger scale. There's no harm in it provided no money is taken prior to a definite Go decision.

I agree though that having too many EOIs on the go looks bad, so it's a good idea not to let them go stale. Give a deadline to create some urgency, then pull the proposal if it's an obvious no-hoper.  There's always the possibility to revive it once KR have established a reputation.

icairns

Amazing!

First the class 17 Clayton appears out of nowhere and now the possibility of Tyne Dock - Consett iron ore hoppers (a prototype I never thought would ever get produced). 

I already have 9f no. 92060 (a 52H Tyne Dock loco) ready to go, complete with Westinghouse air compressors to operate the hopper doors. 

Ian

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations