NGS Stove R Livery Puzzle

Started by REGP, July 29, 2015, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

I've been looking for an NGS Stove R in BR maroon livery, but of course the NGS doesn't have any left.

It's to be fairly heavily weathered to be run behind a milk train hauled by a green diesel.

So I got to wondering if the LMS Crimson (Lake?) liveried version was a close enough colour to the BR Maroon to be disguised by the weathering (after removing the LMS logo & changing the number of course).

Anyone out there have any ideas or views that might help me?

Ray

CliveH

Ray,

Unless you're looking at a brand new, out of the workshop items, when it comes to goods rolling stock it's pretty evident that there is no correct shade. Weathering includes fading, and as Ben A pointed out in relation to getting the correct shade on the Enparts BG, green can fade to pink, so when it comes to a BR steam era Stove R, maroon can mean probably any shade of reddy brown. I've painted one of mine Revell acrylic silk matt Purple Red (331) and I think it looks OK. It can pass as either 'worn but washed' faded crimson or maroon. So I think that if yours is some shade of maroon-ish red under the dirt, it will be 'right'.

[smg id=27667 type=preview align=center caption="Stove R repaint"]

Cheers

Clive

Paddy

I believe you can purchase an unpainted Stove R from the NGS.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

REGP

Quote from: Paddy on July 30, 2015, 01:49:53 PM
I believe you can purchase an unpainted Stove R from the NGS.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy, but unfortunately my painting skills aren't up to painting it from scratch.

Clive thanks for the photo, it gives me hope that my idea might work.

Ray

Karhedron

The other option is to keep an eye on eBay. They turn up from time to time and the prices are usually not too bad (there was one about a month ago).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

CliveH

Ray,

You'll be surprised what can be achieved paint wise by even the most average modeller, like me! Gloss finishes will certainly show up imperfections, but most of the stuff I've painted (roofs, goods stock, buildings etc) has a matt or silk finish. Far more forgiving. The one thing I've bought that's proved very useful for a good finish is an air brush - only a cheapy from Amazon - but it's good enough that even by trial and error I've got reasonable results.  A warm dry environment for spraying is important. I always use acrylics. Good coverage, easy to clean up. Limitless supply of thinners in the tap! The Stove R in the picture was stripped back to plastic before painting. The roof is a brush job (mid grey).

Cheers

Clive

Karhedron

If you don't want to invest in an airbrush, you can do single-colour liveries like Maroon pretty easily with halfords rattle cans (lining would probably be optional on NPCCS like this). Here is an ex-GWR full brake I did a few years ago with just a spray can.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Paddy

Given this is an all over crimson livery I would have thought a repaint would be relatively easy.  I am no expert but if it was me then I would give the body a once over with Humbrol Acrylic Primer (aerosol can) and then a spray with a Humbrol Acrylic Crimson aerosol.

Paddy
London Midland Region

NeMo

Don't forget you can get the Engineer's Red version for 12.40, a real bargain. It looks lovely, but with just a few small transfers and an otherwise matt red livery, it's surely an easy conversion into maroon if you wanted to go that way.
Quote from: CliveH on July 30, 2015, 03:23:47 PM
The one thing I've bought that's proved very useful for a good finish is an air brush - only a cheapy from Amazon - but it's good enough that even by trial and error I've got reasonable results.
Agreed, the cheap ones (£60 including the compressor!) may not be "good" but they're certainly "good enough" and well worth playing with. Better than brushes, and by contrast aerosols are horrible to use and very expensive.
Quote from: CliveH on July 30, 2015, 03:23:47 PM
I always use acrylics. Good coverage, easy to clean up. Limitless supply of thinners in the tap!
I've found the reverse to be true, enamels being much easier to work with. Sure, the white spirits used as thinners aren't very nice (so I tend to work outdoors when it's sunny) but I find enamel 'sits' on the plastic better without running off, and removing mistakes with IPA isn't at all difficult.

I guess you have to try the different paints out and find what works for you!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Karhedron

Quote from: REGP on July 29, 2015, 08:03:45 PM
I've been looking for an NGS Stove R in BR maroon livery, but of course the NGS doesn't have any left.

It's to be fairly heavily weathered to be run behind a milk train hauled by a green diesel.
Does it have to be a Stove-R? If you are looking for a brake vehicle for a milk train then you have plenty of other options available.

If you are modelling the MR then the Farish Stannier full brake was a common choice on milk trains (some even wandered onto the SR on milk duties).

Alternatively for the WR, you have the brand new K41 Collett Full brake in Maroon instead.

CliveH

Quote from: NeMo on July 30, 2015, 03:38:27 PM
I find enamel 'sits' on the plastic better

Cheers, NeMo
Agree that some (perhaps over thinned?) acrylics sometimes don't seem to immediately stick quite as well as one would like, but I've found the way to overcome this is very thin layers to start with, leaving each one to dry. (That's where the fan heater next to the spray 'booth' really helps). That builds up a key to which subsequent thicker layers can be added. This may not work if you're looking for high gloss finish, but as you've said, you have to find what works for you.

Cheers

Clive

REGP

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement guys.

Quote from: NeMo on July 30, 2015, 03:38:27 PM
Don't forget you can get the Engineer's Red version for 12.40, a real bargain. It looks lovely, but with just a few small transfers and an otherwise matt red livery, it's surely an easy conversion into maroon if you wanted to go that way.

Thanks for that suggestion NeMo, I don't know what the engineers livery is like so hadn't considered it until now.

Quote from: Karhedron on July 30, 2015, 04:01:49 PM
Does it have to be a Stove-R? If you are looking for a brake vehicle for a milk train then you have plenty of other options available.

If you are modelling the MR then the Farish Stannier full brake was a common choice on milk trains (some even wandered onto the SR on milk duties).

I am loosely modelling a joint GWR/LMS line, I have got the West Region Milk train sorted thanks to you Matt and I am now working on a smaller Midland version.

This is why I thought of the Stove R, but the suggestion of Stanier Full Brake gives me yet another option.

Ray

Paddy

Hi Kahedron,

When did Farish release the non weathered crimson Stanier brake?

Many thanks

Paddy
London Midland Region

Karhedron

Quote from: Paddy on July 30, 2015, 09:39:15 PM
When did Farish release the non weathered crimson Stanier brake?
Can't seem to find it now. :(

Paddy

Quote from: Karhedron on July 30, 2015, 09:43:43 PMCan't seem to find it now. :(

Looks good unweathered.

Paddy
London Midland Region

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77