Can anyone help me get hold of a layout board 4ft x 3ft please?

Started by Bristolmar, December 29, 2013, 04:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristolmar

Hi all

Wont bore you with the sob story but had to sell my only partly laid Preformed Noch Baden-Baden layout.

Looking to get hold of a simple bare board now but not up to making it myself.

Have made various enquiries and came close to buying a 4x3 ft board from DJMS Model Solutions for about #65 inc delivery which I thought was reasonable value but ongoing financial issues have precluded this.

Does anyone have a no-longer needed board? Or able to make me one for less? Would be happy to do some sort of swap or part exchange for some of my N Gauge German locos and/or Fleischmann Piccolo track inc the items listed for sale in Classifieds on this board.

Hope I am not out of order as a newbie asking this.

Martin
Beer calls...........................must run

Bristolmar

Quote from: Only Me on December 29, 2013, 04:39:24 PM
Welcome to our Forum; beg away my man :)

LOL ok

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:D

REGP

Hi Martin

Welcome to the Forum.

You never know but giving a location, may encourage someone local to get in touch.

Ray

Bristolmar

Quote from: REGP on December 29, 2013, 05:12:15 PM
Hi Martin

Welcome to the Forum.

You never know but giving a location, may encourage someone local to get in touch.

Ray

Oh thanks Ray. Rustington, West Sussex. On the coast between Pompey and Brighton, South of Horsham.

Lawrence

Would happily help if you were not so far away Martin, I would hope that one of our fantastic membership in your locale might be able to help out though.

Bristolmar

Quote from: Lawrence on December 29, 2013, 06:50:12 PM
Would happily help if you were not so far away Martin, I would hope that one of our fantastic membership in your locale might be able to help out though.

Thanks Lawrence

Might be worth mentioning that i dont mind paying for shipping to me. Happy to arrange myself to if viable. Will check a couple of couriers.

Bristolmar

Quote from: Bristolmar on December 29, 2013, 06:57:38 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on December 29, 2013, 06:50:12 PM

Thanks Lawrence

Might be worth mentioning that i dont mind paying for shipping to me. Happy to arrange myself to if viable. Will check a couple of couriers.

On a quick look appears it shouldnt cost more than say £30

alibuchan

Unless you can get someone local to help, it is going to cost you about the £60 quid mark to have it built and sent.

When I went to my timber chap, I got all of the wood cut to size and ready to go for about £23.50 (if I remember correctly). That was for 2x 4foot by 1foot boards (2"x1/2" for sides and ends, and 6mm ply for top and back scene + glue and pins). It shocked me how much timber was!

So judging by that probably £30 quid materials and £30 delivery.

It's completely up to you but it may well be easier to go to DJMS as you will be able to go back to them if there is an issue with it.

Alistair

PostModN66

Hi Martin,

Everyone has their hobby horse, and this is mine!   Have you thought about using a plywood door as your baseboard?

I can't find one that is three feet wide, the widest I can find in 33", from Wickes.   They are easy to trim to the length you want - cut the surface with a Stanley knife, saw through the edge pieces and make up a strip of thin plywood to make good the cut edge.  It is about 20-30 mins work.  No bracing required.

As it is not as wide as you want, possibly you could adjust the length to make the same area?

The door I found on the Wickes website is called "Lisburn Ply veneer door,1981 x838mm",  £22.99

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers  Jon  :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Bristolmar

Quote from: PostModN66 on December 30, 2013, 11:46:02 AM
Hi Martin,

Everyone has their hobby horse, and this is mine!   Have you thought about using a plywood door as your baseboard?

I can't find one that is three feet wide, the widest I can find in 33", from Wickes.   They are easy to trim to the length you want - cut the surface with a Stanley knife, saw through the edge pieces and make up a strip of thin plywood to make good the cut edge.  It is about 20-30 mins work.  No bracing required.

As it is not as wide as you want, possibly you could adjust the length to make the same area?

The door I found on the Wickes website is called "Lisburn Ply veneer door,1981 x838mm",  £22.99

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers  Jon  :)

Jon, VERY thank you. Theres a Wickes store a mile up the road.

Excuse my ignorance. Sounds like a good "DIY" version. If a "properly" constructed one with a frame covered with ply was 10 on a scale of 10 as regards suitability, useability, etc this would be.................6? 7?

Will check it out now

Martin

Greybeema

Have you considered using insulation board.

I live in Dublin, so not a lot of use to you but here is a link to Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/161255/?source=123_75  and at £40 it's twice the area you need.

I think this is the stuff but others on this forum can say better.  I have looked at this kind of base board - its pretty much ready to go - its rigid, light weight but could do with a thin outside frame to protect it.  Drawback is that everything (point motors, wiring etc.) has to be surface mounted but I am sure there is a way around that.  Also items need to be glued rather than screwed unless you glue wood and then screw into that...

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

PostModN66

Hi Martin,

This is a source of contention on the forum!    I would say compared to traditional baseboards 12/10 (not joking here, I really do believe they are much better in most respects, but see the "cons" below).  I have built, or been part of the build of four layouts based on doors or parts thererof, including Lofthole and Deansmoor as per links below)  I wouldn't use any other method.

The plus side is (better than traditional baseboards in the following respects)

Perfectly flat
Very stiff
Perfectly warp resistant
Very light
Quick and easy to make

The minus side is (not as good as traditional baseboards in the following respects)

Poking wires though is slightly more tricky (you need a darning needle or similar)
Installing point motors needs some thought (tricky to use Peco or Seep motors in the "normal" fashion, you need to either mount them on top or use torque rods - or just use wire-in-tube, or Kato track with built in motors)
Some say (though I would disagree) that they are not as easy to use for making mountainous scenes.

The point motor mounting doesn't trouble me as I think the usual method of clipping to the points is a bit "pants" anyway!

If you want to check out opinions of others do a search on baseboards..........not everyone agrees with me though many do.

Cheers

Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Bristolmar

Quote from: Greybeema on December 30, 2013, 11:57:46 AM
Have you considered using insulation board.

I live in Dublin, so not a lot of use to you but here is a link to Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/161255/?source=123_75  and at £40 it's twice the area you need.

I think this is the stuff but others on this forum can say better.  I have looked at this kind of base board - its pretty much ready to go - its rigid, light weight but could do with a thin outside frame to protect it.  Drawback is that everything (point motors, wiring etc.) has to be surface mounted but I am sure there is a way around that.  Also items need to be glued rather than screwed unless you glue wood and then screw into that...

Thank you also for this suggestion.

Just been on Wickes site looking at the door option which I like. TBH altho thats a bit narrow (not critically) I can live with the extra length so at the price its a great option. Only trouble is local stores dont have it. Will have a quick butchers over at B&Q failing which Wickes deliver for a tenner (wonder if they do chicken too ;)

Appreciate the input.

Martin

REGP

If. You are going down to Wicks check out for their Space Board.
These area single sheets of insulation foam board approx 40 x 20 inches and 2/3 inches thick. These can be cut with a knife and glued together using No Nails, so easier to transport than the bigger boards.
Track can be glued down (Copydex), point motors have to be surfaced mounted and you need to pierce holes in the board to thread wiring through.

Ray

Pengi

Quote from: REGP on December 30, 2013, 12:12:24 PM
If. You are going down to Wicks check out for their Space Board.
These area single sheets of insulation foam board approx 40 x 20 inches and 2/3 inches thick. These can be cut with a knife and glued together using No Nails, so easier to transport than the bigger boards.
Track can be glued down (Copydex), point motors have to be surfaced mounted and you need to pierce holes in the board to thread wiring through.

Ray

I have used Spaceboard as a baseboard (6 glued together). I was surprised to see it at my local B&Q - even though the web-site has said it was a discontinued product a year ago
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations