What makes a good club layout?

Started by Jeebee, February 21, 2023, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

I agree with Hailstone ,a few years ago my late best mate Cyril asked me to take him to the big annual show at Stoke Mandeville Hospital as there was a 32ft long O gauge layout in a magazine and he really wanted to see it as the photos looked amazing .
We went straight to the layout and it did look fantastic with all sorts of sound effects and brilliant scenery ,we looked at every thing and Cyril asked the operator if they had got an electrical problem as nothing was moving ,the guy then looked at his watch and said in 10 minutes and carried on treading his paper .A bell rang and a train moved  about 2ft  and the guy sat down again ,another 2 minutes and more bells the loco moved onto a couple of coaches in the station and again the guy sat down another 2 minutes and the bell rang and a whistle sounded the train moved very realistically out of the statiion towards the other end of the layout ,
Cyril asked the guy when the next train was coming back the answer so annoyed Cyril and in the 20 years or more that I had known Cyril I had never heard him swear like he did that day ,He told the guy in very strong language that we had paid good money to see the layout and trains  running NOT SOME GUY READING A   :censored: NEWSPAPER .at the end of the show Cyril and his daughter voted Brian Silbys little Layout best in show as there was allways a train moving .
Sorry for the long post but It was just to show that a non railway person like Cyril wanted to see some trains moving .
Bob Tidbury

Firstone18

Quote from: Hailstone on February 22, 2023, 11:02:42 PM
Whatever layout you build, if you intend to exhibit it please do NOT run to  a real time timetable. whilst it may be ultra realistic, it must be remembered that exhibitions are not just for railway modellers but for the public, who bring their chidren who are the ones who will hopefully take the hobby into the future but their attention span is limited, so a constant flow of trains moving is the order of the day to entertain them and perhaps get them into the hobby. remember, that is where new club members ultimately come from!

Regards,

Alex
YES!!! All exhibitors of any gauge layout need to take note of this post. Many times at shows I see crowds round a layout and take note of what is running and almost always it is lots of trains, and very short time gaps between a train moving. Layouts don't necessarily need to be roundy-roundy to keep the viewers interested - look at Ambleton Vale for a good example. Plenty of things for the younger viewers to spot and frequent train movements to see. Conversely, layouts with few, or no viewers usually turn out to be 'static' with nothing moving or undergoing maintenance to correct a fault which is preventing trains running.
Just my views as a newcomer to attending shows as a club member.
Cheers :beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Intercity

Just a couple of things, electrically if you have multiple running lines it may be wise to have districts so one electrical issue doesn't shut down the entire layout (label everything), problems underneath can drive members away.

For the frequency of running trains I will echo constant movement (mainline trains, slow freight being held temporarily while an express passes, shunters moving around depots to stations).

Leefield and Ashpeth of this parish has some very good YouTube videos with narrative, a good example of "something moving all the time)

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: Jeebee on February 21, 2023, 12:48:36 PM

Is it the answer as unique as each club?

Pretty much, yes.

The traditional benefits of a club layout were to have something larger and more complicated than you could have time or space for at home. There were the benefits of a number of people building and operating, as well as the benefit of shared contribution to the cost and rolling stock provision...

To an extent that still holds true, but the purpose of a club layout can vary significantly.

Is it the intention to take the layout out to exhibitions, or is it more for the benefit of the membership on club nights so they can run stuff?

Either way, unless your club is very lucky, it has to be easily set up and dismantled, as well as portable. For shows some clubs hire a van, but when planning it is worth designing it so it fits into x number of members own vehicles

Building layouts is not a cheap do and often clubs can get carried away with enthusiasm at the planning stage, build something enormous and then realise they have sunk a lot of money into something which is too big and too complex to operate. Our old club layout had a lot of sidings, including a set of carriage sidings. Ironically we ran mainly units on the layout and the carriage sidings just weren't used - a bit of a waste of track and point motors really. The sidings were removed during a rebuild, they became a road and site office (pretty much like reality really!).

The good rule of thumb is that for a club layout to successfully operate at least three or four of the builders need to have enough stock to operate the layout (even if only just) on their own. That spreads the risk of the layout becoming obsolete if you lose a couple of members.

I also echo the comments earlier on not to fall into the trap of relying on one person for the electrics. I accept it is often easier for one person to do the actual wiring (too many people doing it leads to confusion), but the knowledge of how the layout is wired and how to repair faults has to be shared throughout the group, or at least a number of the group. I have more than once heard of a club layout having to be abandoned due to a member leaving a nobody understanding how the thing worked!

I also agree that a club layout cannot really just follow the interests of one member. That happens for a number of reasons - sometimes quite by accident (a number of members leave, resulting in a layout relevant to only one member) - but often due to a forceful personality in the club (sadly they tend to be the ones who eventually explode over something and flounce off leaving everyone in the lurch!).

Careful planning and consent amongst the members is of course crucial for such a venture, but it is a lot of fun!

Coincidentally our club is also about to embark on a new N gauge project - we have obtained some boards. Let the planning begin!   :D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations