2020 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, August 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip.

Quote from: njee20 on August 30, 2020, 10:51:17 PM
Only two withdrawals, plus John Degenkolb outside the time limit.

It's made me realise the extent to which I've lost touch with cycling. I don't know half the 'big' names anymore!

Yesterday's stage was mad, good to see today's being a bit less sketchy! Strong riding from Alaphillipe too. Could be quite the shock result, particularly if the race were curtailed early...

Yeah, my bad grammar I'm afraid. I meant lots of injuries, and a couple of withdrawals  :-[

Newportnobby

That was one scary badass descent yesterday :goggleeyes:
Glad it was decent weather and the helo shots were just great

TrevL

I always feel gutted for those in the breakaway when they don't make it.  My heart goes out Jerome Cousin spent almost 100kms out alone and got swept up less than 10kms from home.  Shame!
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 31, 2020, 03:17:37 PM
That was one scary badass descent yesterday :goggleeyes:
Glad it was decent weather and the helo shots were just great

Some of the goodbye shots were pretty good too:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: TrevL on September 01, 2020, 03:11:01 PM
I always feel gutted for those in the breakaway when they don't make it.  My heart goes out Jerome Cousin spent almost 100kms out alone and got swept up less than 10kms from home.  Shame!

It's always been the most fascinating aspect of road racing for me. Sure, I know there's constant radio contact but, like yesterday, the peloton were within a couple of hundred metres of catching the sprinters. It's rare for a breakaway to get to the finish but I'm always elated when it does occur.

MinZaPint

Much more exciting than F1 and just love the scenery! that downhill descent through those hairpins was something else. As Mick says those Heli shots are really good. Makes life seem almost normal!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

I've found this year's race to be very exciting with a few surprises.
Bernal has now pulled out and I reckon Ineos have some changes to make, including at top level

Edit - brutal stage today with some parts at 24% ascent. Certainly sorted the wheat from the chaff!!
Tomorrow's looking tough, too :worried:

(I do like some of Gary Imlach's throwaway remarks on ITV4 as well ;D)

TrevL

Afraid I can't watch Gary (monotone) Imlach, which is why I watch on Eurosport.  They have (Crazy) Carlton Kirby, who admittedly talks drivel, but none the less is entertaining, a bit lit like a latter day Murrey Walker, who also talked drivel and was entertaining. Each to his own I suppose.
Cheers, Trev.

Philip.

Carlton Kirby is an aquired taste I agree, but he is certainly enthusiastic, even if he does waffle a bit. Rob Hatch is superb on the other hand, very knowledgeable and precise with his pronunciation.

Newportnobby

Quote from: TrevL on September 17, 2020, 07:34:24 AM
Each to his own I suppose.

Not really, Trev, as I can't get Eurosport :no:
David Millar gives excellent insights into the riding and Chris Boardman's techy bits (read gimmicks) used past and present is also fascinating ;D

TrevL

Fair enough, similarly, I don't have BT sport, so I have to watch MotoGP on Quest, which is only highlights, I really miss watching the "kids" on moto3. 
As you said, TdF is really exciting this year, definitely another team is going to win this year, which is good. I'd also like to see someone other then Sagan win the green jersey, just for a change.
Cheers, Trev.

Newportnobby

I agree about Sagan. He's a 'character' but we can do without such 'characters' butting their way past others and then protesting total innocence.
Richie Porte has been a big surprise to me and it would be good to see him on the podium.
Alaphilippe is just acting like a naughty teenager playing up with attacks and just messing with other teams ;D

Bealman

Haven't been following along with a lot of interest this year....

Still got memories of a night in Canberra hospital when I fell over during an event ten or so years ago  ;) :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

I really like Gary Imlach! I like his slightly dry style, although I can see why some may find him annoying. I don't like Daniel Friebe however.

It's been a great race, the fact that Bernal was the only defending champion, the fact the form book has been turned upside down, totally uncertain.

Today should be a big day again, and then Saturday's TT just to throw one final spanner in the works. Ironic that Porte is looking as strong as he ever has as he bows out being a team leader and goes back to super domestique!

Newportnobby

At last - Ineos do something!
Bad luck rode with Porte (again)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations