A new job a new start, possible lack of postings from now on.

Started by mark100, June 08, 2015, 09:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark100

After doing the same job since 1984 as a stone mason, I resigned last week from the family run business with no hard feelings from the family, but i decided a change from making Grave tones e.t.c was required, salary was not the issue as we have no mortgage to pay as the house was inherited and all I see everyday at work and out of work are other family members, so a change of scenery was required.

I started as a shift manager in a Warehouse last night in Leics. My first night shift ever and my eyes were solid as rock this morning, before I went to bed I had to get the kids up for school and get them there and that was a struggle.

Anyway im hoping that once I have settled in at my new work place, I can log onto here from there and keep up with what is going on.
but i maybe quiet for a while.

Mark
:NGaugersRule:
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

scotsoft

That is quite a change in work styles  ;)

No doubt it will take some time to settle down to your new time zones and as long as you are happy doing your new job, that is the main thing  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

simong

All the best for the new job.  A new challenge is good and I assume that with night shifts once the kids are at school it is quiet so you can get on railway modelling, sounds like a plan.

D1042 Western Princess

Hi Mark, first congratulations on your new job. Everybody should have a career change mid way through life in my opinion otherwise you get very stale with what you do. You wouldn't keep a layout for 40 or 45 years so why a job?
I've done nights and yes, it's an 'upside down' lifestyle but it does get easier I promise.
Good luck in your new job and best wishes,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: simong on June 08, 2015, 09:35:10 PM
All the best for the new job.  A new challenge is good and I assume that with night shifts once the kids are at school it is quiet so you can get on railway modelling, sounds like a plan.

I take it you've never worked nights then Simong? By the time you get home, especially after a few night turns, all you want to do is sleep. I doubt very much if Mark gets much work done on the layout. :sleep:

daveg

All the best with those big changes to your life and routines.  :thumbsup:

Look forward to hearing from you when you get the chance.

Dave G

Newportnobby

All best wishes in your new job, Mark :thumbsup:
Don't risk it by being caught on t'interweb if it's not allowed :worried:

REGP

Wow that's some career change.

It takes time getting use to night shifts but it can give you more time with the family.  All the best with these changes.

Ray

Trainfish

You were obviously at a bit of a dead end making gravestones so moving away to work in the dead of the night sounds like a good idea. As NPN said, be careful using t'internet at work as it could be terminal. Good luck for the future though, as you kind of say, there's more to life than gravestones  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

simong

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 08, 2015, 09:40:30 PM

I take it you've never worked nights then Simong? By the time you get home, especially after a few night turns, all you want to do is sleep. I doubt very much if Mark gets much work done on the layout. :sleep:

In the past I have worked night shifts, sometime I did a day shift then went back for four hours in the night.  Guess we are all different.

Sprintex

Depends on the shift length really? If working the same hours as before then no reason why spare time shouldn't be the same ;) I work semi-nights but it's only a 9 hour shift so even with 8 hours sleep I get plenty of time to myself :thumbsup:

Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: simong on June 09, 2015, 07:55:54 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 08, 2015, 09:40:30 PM

In the past I have worked night shifts, sometime I did a day shift then went back for four hours in the night.  Guess we are all different.

Or you are much younger :'( :laugh:

Jimmy77

Good luck with the new job! I know how you feel about tiredness after starting night shifts!  I used to do permanent nights years ago, at first was like a perpetual tiredness, but soon found ways to help. Now I work a pattern of 2 days 2 nights 4 off, and do spend many hours on here, however as others have said be careful, in case the boss doesn't approve. Anyways, enjoy the new job!

snail

good luck with the new job, always good to have a change of scenery! i personally enjoy nights, frees up a lot of time which would normally be spent sat in rush hour traffic with everyone else working the 9-5 days.

good luck again and hopefully you can still find time to come on here and keep up to date  :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations