!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Model Shops in Central London  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Model Shops in Central London
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2022, 04:48:21 PM »
Hi All

Addlestone Models is only a 15 minute drive for me, it is a very well stocked shop for N gauge, prices are actually OK (usual 15% off Farish). As the box shifters are no longer cheap anymore,  I don't see them being an option unless they are dumping hard to move stock. I have all the stock I need, so generally just buy paint and bits from Addlestone.

https://addlestone-models.co.uk/

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:43:48 AM by Railwaygun, Reason: URL added »

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2022, 09:42:49 AM »
I remember in the early 70's "chuffs" at Marylebone.  That was one WEIRD shop.

Today on my rare trips to the UK I still try and visit JANES at Tooting.  The shop is just outside TOOTING Overground station.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Tfc49

• N Gauge Society Number: 29337
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2022, 10:40:28 AM »
Please be advised that Janes Trains at Tooting is closed on weekdays from 01 August to 14 August, but will be open on Saturdays between those dates.

Normal opening hours will apply again after 14 August - see http://www.janestrains.co.uk/index.html

Best wishes, Tfc49
Toot!Toot!
Tfc49

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2022, 01:14:57 AM »

Today on my rare trips to the UK I still try and visit JANES at Tooting.  The shop is just outside TOOTING Overground station.

Thameslink not Overground
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »

I have given up trying to track the name of Train operating companies.  Its Tooting overground as opposed to the Underground Station at Tooting Broadway.  I even "worked there" back in the days of the original Thameslink.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »

I have given up trying to track the name of Train operating companies.  Its Tooting overground as opposed to the Underground Station at Tooting Broadway.  I even "worked there" back in the days of the original Thameslink.

Yes, I think perfectly clear what you meant, and probably a clearer distinction than saying Thameslink, but some wonderful pedantry there!

I've never been to Jane's I must say. I cycle within 200m of it on the way home from work, must stop in some time!

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2022, 01:03:23 AM »
Please be advised that Janes Trains at Tooting is closed on weekdays from 01 August to 14 August, but will be open on Saturdays between those dates.

Normal opening hours will apply again after 14 August - see http://www.janestrains.co.uk/index.html

Best wishes, Tfc49

And you wonder why the so called traditional model shop is disappearing, effectively closes for 2 weeks and even in normal trading they are open just 4 days a week and only in the afternoon. No way to run a retail business. I tried to visit Janes Trains a while back when I was in the area, and guess what, they were closed. The aforementioned Addlestone Models is open 7 days a week and always has customers when I visit.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2022, 08:13:22 AM »
Itís a bit of a vicious cycle I guess. I presume itís family owned/run. Presumably they want some time off, but donít have staff to cover midweek. To take on staff would increase overheads substantially. Having never set foot in the place I wouldnít be surprised if some weekdays they donít sell anything of note, so taking on staff becomes a significant overhead. One presumes itíll go when the owners retire, much like Morris Models down on the south coast.

Offline Ossian

• N Gauge Society Number: 29768
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
Just to update this as the OP.    I ended up going to the Northfield shop, an easy tube ride, and found the owner very helpful, although the shop itself reminded me of the Discworld Library (GNU Pterry....) and it wasn't really possible to get more than one customer inside at a time!

I got a (presumably) scratchbuilt LMS breakdown train, which is sadly missing on my layout and was pleasantly surprised by the suggestion to offer a fair price - 75 squid seemed very fair!

Cash only, but fortunately there was a money machine a few yards away.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal