what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxhound

What better way to spend a bank holiday than with a Metcalfe kit? Still lots of groundwork to do but here's the new petrol station at it's target location. The surface beneath it will be tarmac and the access road will need to be laid. We embellished the showroom with a white VW Passat....

Rob and Becky (artistic director)

OffshoreAlan

I've just finished trimming off the edges of my laminated cardboard test/running-in layout.

Trying to decide whether to put a narrow wooden frame on it - probably will to protect the vulnerable edges although my alternative would be to cover it all with "grass" vinyl sheeting and wrap round the edges.

Trainfish

I'll start the countdown to Mick @Newportnobby telling you to put something around the edges to stop trains falling off  :no:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

Quote from: Foxhound on June 02, 2021, 12:52:29 PM
What better way to spend a bank holiday than with a Metcalfe kit? Still lots of groundwork to do but here's the new petrol station at it's target location. The surface beneath it will be tarmac and the access road will need to be laid. We embellished the showroom with a white VW Passat....

checking the fuel prices, you obviously haven't been to your local garage / supermarket for a while  :'(

OffshoreAlan

Quote from: Trainfish on June 02, 2021, 02:15:09 PM
I'll start the countdown to Mick @Newportnobby telling you to put something around the edges to stop trains falling off  :no:
Not now you've pre-empted him  :D

Sounds like a good idea, especially since main traffic will be expensive new locos

crewearpley40

Cleaning stock wheels, testing a couple of locos. Track cleaning

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on June 02, 2021, 02:29:01 PM
checking the fuel prices, you obviously haven't been to your local garage / supermarket for a while  :'(

True - I paid 125.9 today, but I guess it depends on the dating of the layout.

Quote from: Trainfish on June 02, 2021, 02:15:09 PM

Unless they're newbies I've given up on that one. More experienced folk should know better, methinks.

guest311

£1.31.9p at our local Tesco for diesel.

mind you, SWMBO decided yesterday she felt up to a trip to Asda  :'(

their diesel was £1.25.7p per litre .... but guess what ...

she well overspent what I saved on fuel  :'( :'( :'(

KevTheBusDriver

Today I resolved to have a really good go at cleaning the wheels on a Farish 47 which has been a real pain for months... after wheel cleaning it would do maybe 2 circuits (about 40 feet?) before stuttering to a halt. I removed the body, put the chassis in a cradle, connected power (about 10v) to the 2 sides and used a Minitrix wheel cleaner, followed by meths on a cotton bud (carefully) then a dry cotton bud. There is still some visible 'staining' on the wheel treads but so far, it has run a good hour today with not a murmur!
It's been a good day! :)

Foxhound

Quote from: class37025 on June 02, 2021, 02:29:01 PM

I  was harking back to gentler times.... ;)

I got stung 1.30/L for unleaded yesterday.....
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Ricky B

Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on March 25, 2021, 09:00:49 PM
Today I woke up and decided to be brave and tackle a job I'd been dreading for a while - re-lettering and naming a Farish 'Peak'. It was taken out of the box 2 days ago as 45114... it is now 60 'Lytham St Annes'. Numbers and names from Railtech Transfers, double arrows are 1981-vintage Methfix, data panels from Woodhead Models (another very old sheet of waterslide transfers). The headcode 4S88 is just a bit of photo glued in after the black paint was scraped off the inside. The nameplates were applied just like the normal Railtech waterslide transfers. It looks okay to me!
Point of note: the loco carries 60 on one side and 45022 the other.
Thanks to the sun for assisting with the photos!
Happy modelling, eveyone!

@KevTheBusDriver Great looking work in the Peak Kev. I'm just dithering about what method use to remove the printed number on a brand new Farish 'Deltic'. If I find one endorsement for using T-Cut or another for Meths or IPA, I can soon find another saying "No!". I've successfully removed the numbers from a Farish '37' with just a cocktail stick but the Deltic's D9001 looks well printed on and I don't want to damage the green paint beneath. Any tips?

Swindon69

Sadly over the last year not much - ironically I've had less spare time during lockdown than I had before.

wombat457

Work on my layout has come to a bit of a stand still due to a very unexpected health issue a couple of months ago.  The plan though; is to clear off the "old" layout and prepare the benchwork for the "New" layout.  Hopefully that will happen in the next month or so ...   ???
Cheers,

Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing - Being able to do it is another"
"It's easy to criticize - harder when you have to justify it"

Newportnobby

Here's hoping things improve for you both on the health and layout front.

wombat457

Cheers,

Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing - Being able to do it is another"
"It's easy to criticize - harder when you have to justify it"

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85%