The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

£10 in 1975 is roughly equivalent to £80 today. Ireland has for a long time had the reputation of being 'rip off Ireland'. However I have noticed on our last couple of trips to Enniskillen in the north, that our prices are broadly similar to what they are in the north. I do not know the reason, (maybe the 'B' word has some bearing on the matter  :hmmm:). Even petrol in the Republic, allowing for the exchange rate, is slightly cheaper than the UK. But going back to the previous post, the Government here certainly look after the pensioners better than the UK. My Christmas bonus - due this Friday? - is one week extra pension payment and the Irish pension is more than the UK pension. (I had better shut up now - sorry.  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Browning 9mm

think I may need to consider moving....
never mind 'Escape to the country' it may be a case of 'Escape to THAT country'

are Huskies welcome ? :hmmm:

dannyboy

You are all welcome, although I think Huskies need a passport.  I think humans do too. :)
David.

acook

And a Rabies shot.....................

dannyboy

Not sure that Alan would appreciate a rabies shot.  :)
David.

njee20

Aaaand the RMT just ruined our Christmas plans with their new raft of strikes. I'm sympathetic to their plight, but honestly holding innocent public to ransom over it is utterly incensing. Unpopular here I'm sure, but my god they make it hard to support them. Can I have the 8% pay increase they've rejected?

Newportnobby

The 8% is actually 4% this year and 4% next year so.........................
Assuming £20,000 a year + 4% = £20,800 then next year £20,800 + 4% = £21,632 means the overall increase is 10.8%.
N.B. The £20,000 is an arbitrary figure from me for simplicity purposes.

Personally I fail to see what numpty actually thought the unions would go for it ::)

njee20

Ok, can I have their promised reoccurring 4% pay rise? More than most will get. 

zwilnik

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 05, 2022, 10:42:50 PM
The 8% is actually 4% this year and 4% next year so.........................
Assuming £20,000 a year + 4% = £20,800 then next year £20,800 + 4% = £21,632 means the overall increase is 10.8%.
N.B. The £20,000 is an arbitrary figure from me for simplicity purposes.

Personally I fail to see what numpty actually thought the unions would go for it ::)

True, but the 10% inflation this year makes £20,800 this year worth under £19,000 next year and the £19660 (ish) after its 4% bump worth about £17880 or so. (very rough calculations)

While unrealistic, anything less than 10% pay rise effectively means a pay cut next year. So pretty much anyone negotiating a deal is going to be aiming to lose as little as possible. It's going to be a case of them finding what amount isn't actually insulting and can be agreed.

njee20

Of course, but all of that makes it sound like the average man on the street is getting a 20% pay rise. Everyone's getting shafted right now, and many people from a whole new angle by the rail unions now. Striking over Christmas is just mean spirited, and will do nothing at all to ingratiate anyone to their cause. And some wonder why folk avoid train travel?!

They've been promised 4% YoY pay rises and guarantees of no job losses. I get neither. Like most people.

Trainfish

Just think, if we ALL got 10%, 20% or whatever other % the cost of everything will go up by at least a similar amount due to manufacturing, delivery costs etc so nobody will be better off. This is why I struggle to support anyone demanding these pay rises by striking. When I started with my current company (and pretty much all others previously) I agreed to a pay review every April. This is why I won't be going on strike. We're all in this together and we're all having to pay for Covid vaccinations, furlough, handouts to certain companies including those who didn't need them etc etc. Am I the only 1 who knew times were going to be tough for all for a few years?

Quote from: Browning 9mm on December 05, 2022, 03:58:56 PM
think I may need to consider moving....
never mind 'Escape to the country' it may be a case of 'Escape to THAT country'

Would you like me to start a GoFundMe appeal? I'm sure we could raise the amount needed  :smiley-laughing:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

woodbury22uk

Effectively there was a pay freeze since January 2020 as part of the pay and productivity deal agreed then. Of course the arrival of the pandemic prevented much progress on the framework agreed. Staff numbers decreased, but salaries generally did not increase. One group of workers on less than £24000 pa received a £250 per annum increase in 2020.

The context of the current offer is that it spans 5 calendar years. Many people outside the rail industry did not receive an increase in 2020/21, but many did.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

I'd like to see strike action like Japanese bus drivers - run the service, but collect no fares. I resent being a pawn in their negotiation, as I have no sway in it. Fine, hold your employer to ransom if that's your bag, but not the travelling public, they'll just end up grossly inconvenienced, will go elsewhere, patronage will drop and jobs will go, and I have no sympathy for that.

Browning 9mm

SWMBO's new tv is due today, so why is this in the angry thread .......

Your DHL Express shipment with waybill number 1925725620 from ELECTRIC MANIA LTD is scheduled for delivery TODAY before end of day.

at least DPD give me a 1 hour slot for delivery, so surely DHL could do much the same.
not even, as far as I can see, even the map with 'your drop is number xxx, driver is on drop yyy there are zzz drops before yours'

looks like it will be a long day for HB, as I certainly don't want this left on the frond door step, or chucked over the back gate.

still, at least OI don't live on the 10th floor of block 2  :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Browning 9mm on December 06, 2022, 09:54:49 AM

still, at least OI don't live on the 10th floor of block 2  :smiley-laughing:

Watching such ads has probably worn the old TV out ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations