The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

Quote from: Greybeema on May 29, 2013, 12:50:48 PM

If you are a Guinness connoisseur - you will love your pint (better than the Guinness you get in ol' Blighty)

Not so. It's all the same - all brewed in Dublin now since they closed the Park Royal (London) brewery some years back. And even when it was brewed here they was no discernable difference - a keg of Park Royal brew was serviced in Temple bar (Dublin) and a keg of Dublin brew was served in Kilburn, but the regulars in both could not tell the difference.

H.

Bikeracer

The only similarity here to the Guinness in Dublin is that it's a similar colour.
The stuff served here is like coloured water and as for serving any cooled ale or stout, it was probably initiated by someone lacking a few taste buds because cooling beer ruins the taste IMHO.

Some years ago I had an uncle who kept a pub and he had just one small single flame gas burner in the cellar,it was to keep the beer at the right temperature.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Greybeema

I think it is actually down to the way its poured and how it is kept.  Also there tends to be a bigger turnover here.

Getting back to the angry:- 

Why is it Bar staff in the UK tend to be casual staff and cannot remeber an order for 10 drinks?   :veryangry:

Good bar staff here are seen as an asset and are coverted by other bars...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

H

Quote from: Bikeracer on May 29, 2013, 01:40:49 PM

The only similarity here to the Guinness in Dublin is that it's a similar colour.

Nope - it's all the same now. Since 2005 all Guinness in the UK is brewed at St James Gate, Dublin. It's been a brewery conditioned (keg) beer for some time to ensure consistency but means that it is pasteurised, filtered and artificially pressurised (with a two part gas system) making it sterile and dead - even in Ireland. The bottled Guinness, which used to be bottle conditioned and stronger in the Winter, is now also brewery conditioned and a shaddow of it's former self.

H.

H

Quote from: Greybeema on May 29, 2013, 01:57:22 PM

I think it is actually down to the way its poured and how it is kept. 

Yep, bad cellarmanship, dirty pipes, poor hygene, incorrect temperatures, etc., can all ruin beer in pubs - and that's all beers, not just Guinness.

Keg (brewery conditioned container beer) was introduced as many pubs were incapable of correctly looking after 'live' cask beer. Fortunately, in general, things have changed and the march of keg stemmed, although Guinness remains keg. A lot is said about Guinness but most is the result of Irish balarney, historic myths and clever marketing. My goodness, it's good for you, y'know.  :D

H.

AndyGif

keeping it on a Guinness theme, any one done lion and unicorn in N I wonder?  Suprised they didn't have the roof's painted white......
http://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com/Stocklist.html

EddieA

Quote from: Bealman on May 28, 2013, 10:51:26 PM
I have an old book on home brewing with a recipe for nettle ale if anyone's interested...

Not exactly home brewing (although some might disagree!). I do have a recipe for Brussell Sprout soup... :D

Actually quite good if you like the veg, honest!   
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

H

Quote from: EddieA on May 29, 2013, 06:27:33 PM

I do have a recipe for Brussell Sprout soup...

It's not Christmas yet, is it?  ;D

H.

daveg

Put the sprouts on a low gas on 31st March. You don't want half-cooked stuff served up for Christmas lunch, now do you?  :sick2:

Apologies - Angry post to follow.

Dave G

Jack

Quote from: H on May 29, 2013, 08:30:31 PM
Quote from: EddieA on May 29, 2013, 06:27:33 PM

I do have a recipe for Brussell Sprout soup...

It's not Christmas yet, is it?  ;D

H.

Now I'm getting Angry (this is the Angry thread right?) - Some one mentioned that C word the wrong side of the D month :telloff:  >:(

I need a Guiness, or two, to calm me down.  :pint: :pint:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

daveg

After a fall in January this year, my 93 year old dad was moved from his retirement home via hospital to a nursing establishment.

His state benefits had to change as he’d moved from having a personal carer to a place of 24/7 care. The social work team at the hospital were involved right away and ‘things’ were put in place to adjust or amend his benefits and we were assured there would be nothing to worry about.

Sadly, the old chap died in March. It is now 29 May and neither myself as executor nor the nursing home have received notification of what benefit(s) he would have received. I don’t think the home has received any payments for his brief stay with them.

Trying to chase things up, I’ve been told there is a Complaints Team waiting to receive my letter of complaint. If that is handled in the same manner as my dad’s benefits I may have to ask my executor to reply on the family’s behalf!

Rant over.

Dave G

Oldman

:veryangry: :veryangry: 209 days to go H, think about it when 9 days to go.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

H

Quote from: Oldman on May 29, 2013, 09:15:41 PM

209 days to go H,

Is that all? It's already too late to get the sprouts on.  :D

H.

Bealman

As Daveg says, this was in danger of becoming the happy thread with all this talk about Guinness. I feel kinda responsible as I started going on about it. But I just want to say this before I shut up about it: Greybeema - I have had the privilege - indeed - honour of visiting St James Gate in Dublin and have been to the Gravity Bar on the 7th floor. 360 degree view of Dublin, and people of all ages and nationalities ALL WITH A GLASS OF GUINNESS IN THEIR HAND!!! I thought I must have died and gone to heaven! I certainly left in a dream-like condition in the late afternoon....

Now.... back to anger management. I've just returned home from dropping wifey off at work, and Geez there are some pratts on the New South Wales roads....  :veryangry:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

AndyGif

Quote from: H on May 29, 2013, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: Oldman on May 29, 2013, 09:15:41 PM

209 days to go H,

Is that all? It's already too late to get the sprouts on.  :D

H.
and start defrosting the  t-rex(turkey)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23