Narrowing the Focus - on what we model

Started by JasonBz, March 02, 2016, 12:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonBz

Hello all
I am just looking for some opinions on the title

My principle interest in doing things in N is to represent the Western Region in the 70s (and I'm mainly a 4mm scale modeller who has a long time interest in N  :o )

But I seem to buy the odd semi relevent items, and they build up and distract me!

I am thinking I should rid myself of these distractions and concentrate on what I wanted to do in the first place....
I might lose (or even make!!) a few pounds, but the point is....

We all do this, and does it focus your mind to have a narrower interest?

Bealman

I have successfully managed to stick to BR from it's beginning up until the blue-grey period, even though some of the new diesels and bright colours are very appealing.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

I have managed to stick to the right era for my layout (mid 60's to mid 70's), but I have strayed from the WR/SR that I model...

For example I have a Blue Pullman that I have to describe as 'lost' and a Brighton Belle that I put behind a dummy Hymek and pretend it is being moved somewhere (unknown) for servicing :whistle:

But at the end of the day these two models are iconic (and absolutely drop dead gorgeous), so I guess rule 1 rules!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

N-Gauge-US

If you take a look at the layout locations map, one of the things that really pops out at me is how many members model a wide time range. It is not uncommon for someone to say their layout is set over a span of 30 or 40 years or in some cases 80! You may sacrifice some accuracy as far as modeling your period, though you can still set the layout in a certain decade and run stock from other decades. One article in the January NGS said he was considering running rakes of trains at shows on his layout from each period, and obviously wouldn't be changing the layout any between years of models. My recommendation would be to have the layout nominally set in the 70s, but not to be afraid of running what you like and excusing it as you choose (if you ever have trouble figuring out how to justify stock on your layout, @Chris in Prague  is extremely good at coming up with a narrative that will satisfy and entertain, as well as explain how it ended up there).
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

BoxTunnel

Great question, and one that has been vexing me since I decided to have a go at modelling a railway.

Before I had even decided on Cricklade Station I had already made an Impulse purchase of a 14xx GWR shirt button loco.  I have since found that this ties me down to 1934-1942.  I am also modelling the M&SWJR post grouping and am finding it difficult to nail down exactly what ran on that line (seems the 14xx certainly would have - lucky me!)

However, it seems that not all locos received the shirt button "branding" so I am allowing myself to use any GWR loco from around that period that may have reasonably been expected to use the line.

My biggest problem, knowing nothing about railways, is identifying what goods wagons would have been used in that period.  I have just won a couple of auctions on evilBay for a Shell/BP tanker and a Saxa Salt wagon that look as though they may be correct, but whilst it's reasonable that the good folk of Cricklade would need fuel oil, I'm not sure how many tons of salt they would get through in a week!

My layout will have compromises due to lack of space and my own incompetence, but I would like to get the rolling stock as accurate as I can.  I appreciate and understand rule one, but as my dear  old Dad says "if your going to do it, do it right".

Luckily, there is a very useful forum on the interweb...  N Gauge something?

Cheers,

Graham
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Chetcombe on March 02, 2016, 04:04:03 AM
I have managed to stick to the right era for my layout (mid 60's to mid 70's), but I have strayed from the WR/SR that I model...

For example I have a Blue Pullman that I have to describe as 'lost' and a Brighton Belle that I put behind a dummy Hymek and pretend it is being moved somewhere (unknown) for servicing :whistle:

But at the end of the day these two models are iconic (and absolutely drop dead gorgeous), so I guess rule 1 rules!

The "Blue Pullman" can be explained as being a special train from the LMR to an event in the area or an ex-LMR unit, just transferred to the WR, running on test or for 'gauging' purposes. The "Brighton Belle" could be being transferred for preservation and restoration following withdrawal.

Chris in Prague

The main problem with modelling a wide time period is that the railway infrastructure changed: lines were simplified, colour light signals replaced semaphores, etc. Also signage changed from British Railways Regional to British Rail black on white.

Originally, I wanted to model from about 1960 to 1967 as this covers the period of nearly all steam operation to nearly all diesel operation. This meant BR Maroon, Green, and Chocolate & Cream passenger stock and BR Late Crest locomotives: black plus green livery for steam and green for diesel. However, I've, since, expanded back to the late 1950s so have some BR Crimson & Cream stock and BR Early Crest locomotives and for "through" running from layouts which have such stock. In the 1960s, stock with a mixture of BR liveries could be seen as everything did not get repainted overnight! I can also include BR Blue diesels as they began to appear from about 1967.

Regarding infrastructure, I'm keeping an early 1960s track layout and BR Regional signage (which, in some places, lasted into the 1970s). I do have a mixture of concrete and wooden sleepers though. However, that is quite prototypical for the 1960s. Surplus sidings, loco sheds or even goods sheds in a later 1960s layout can be taken over by a local railway preservation society. Again, quite prototypical.

Developing an extensive back story is purely optional but can be great fun and helps to make the railway, its trains, and timetables (schedules) more realistic. If you look hard enough, there is a "prototype for everything"!

Bealman

You've summed up the era and philosophy of my modelling. Thank you!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Bealman on March 02, 2016, 07:36:42 AM
You've summed up the era and philosophy of my modelling. Thank you!  :beers:

My pleasure. 8-)

Newportnobby

I'll start out by saying I don't run Rule 1.
My main layout is set in the transition era somewhere near Oxford so I can 'legitimately' run stock from everywhere but the Scottish Region :D
However, when the Farish Blue Pullman came out it was a 'gotta have' item and could very loosely be allowed as CiP has said above.
BUT - I also ordered a RevolutioN Trains Poppylino on the basis I wanted the project to succeed (I subsequently backed another that failed - big shame as it fitted my era), I have huge respect for our Armed Forces and the train itself is an icon. It will look ridiculous on my layout but, hell, that sort of opportunity doesn't come along often.
Now - about that first sentence............. :-[

Skyline2uk

I echo most of what has been said above, but when it comes to distraction purchases, I thankfully have another factor: space.

My favourite "trains" of all time are HST sets, but a full length one on my layout would look ridiculous (probably end up nose to nose with itself).

It has been suggested that I could have a couple of power units in the depot for servicing, and this may allow my GW Merlin units to have a run, but realistically the TMD is employed for freight locos.

My era seems to have only stretched in one direction, being sector (era 8 ) I have no BR blue (save the inspection saloon, but there is nothing between blue/grey and EWS for that) but a few 8/9 transition lively locos and some EWS stuff.

Skyline2uk

Dorsetmike

My focus when I started in N back in '74 was BR transition, late 50s to end of steam, this has gradually moved back to where I am now, and have been for about 20 years, mid 1930s, say 32-38. Location has stayed firmly in East Dorset, the period has moved back as stock and hacking skills have allowed. (see my moans elsewhere about non availability of SR stock)

Why East Dorset? Well apart from being home, initially chosen for an excuse to run some LMS stock coming via the Somerset and Dorset, which gave a bit more variety in available stock at the time.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

talisman56

My original intent was to stay in 60s BR(S), but over time, some 50s stuff and latterly 30s have been acquired, mainly because of the 'oooh I must have one*' factor, which then morphs into 'I'll have one of these because it goes with the 'I must have one' model(s)'. To a certain extent the 50s stock can also appear in the 60s (apporpiately weathered/distressed, of course), but the 30s is really way out there with regard to the original intentions.

With the recent escalating costs associated with the hobby, a more strict regime will have to be applied to limit extraneous expenditure...

*You'll have to guess which models were the original catalysts... :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Pengi

Quote from: newportnobby on March 02, 2016, 10:15:47 AM
I'll start out by saying I don't run Rule 1.
My main layout is set in the transition era somewhere near Oxford so I can 'legitimately' run stock from everywhere but the Scottish Region :D
However, when the Farish Blue Pullman came out it was a 'gotta have' item and could very loosely be allowed as CiP has said above.
BUT - I also ordered a RevolutioN Trains Poppylino on the basis I wanted the project to succeed (I subsequently backed another that failed - big shame as it fitted my era), I have huge respect for our Armed Forces and the train itself is an icon. It will look ridiculous on my layout but, hell, that sort of opportunity doesn't come along often.
Now - about that first sentence............. :-[
I am sure it will look wonderful on your layout ;)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Komata

And then there is 'Freelance' modelling, where, if it is done well, it is possible to model whatever and whenever you want (and to completely baffle the 'experts' / rivet-counters while doing-so). HOWEVER, such is the nature of the beast that what ever is done must be done well AND BE BELIEVABLE, 'cos otherwise, the 'fall from grace' can, at times, be very public and short (although it really improves your modeling standards).

(Don't ask me how I know...:))
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations