Retirement

Started by port perran, December 10, 2014, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

So.....I'm 60 on Boxing day and can retire (well actually, I'll probably still work about 2.5 days per week at the very most and then only a few hours  on each day. As I'm self employed, I can be a bit picky). :claphappy: :claphappy:
So....I'm very much counting the days now and due to having a couple of days off next week,  I have only 5 days of Full Time work left !
Looking forward to having more time to do as I please (including, of course, more modelling time).
And....more time to waste spend browsing the various posts on here.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

I hope you enjoy your retirement port perran. I think its a good idea to keep working part time if you can. It helps maintain contact with the world outside model railways and also helps to pay for all the N gauge 'must haves' which seem to crop up on a daily basis.

I'm coming up 70 next year and still work a couple of days a week on average. Will probably pack up work at the end of 2015 as the job I currently have will disappear then.

Then I'll have no excuse not to accelerate the layout building.

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

I retired at the end of last year and now I don't know how I found time to go to work. I was self employed and worked all over Europe and Scandinavia, so lots of travelling. Now I've retired, I should have plenty of time to finish the layout, but things keep getting in the way. Day trips out, weekends away, short breaks, so much so that I got more done on the layout when I was working than I do now. Still, I wouldn't go back to work if you paid me. Thinks...they did pay me, but I still don't want to go back!!
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

d-a-n

Congratulations! You'll have to keep us updated on your adventures so those of us who still have another 40-odd years to go can live vicariously...

port perran

Quote from: d-a-n on December 10, 2014, 05:45:07 PM
Congratulations! You'll have to keep us updated on your adventures so those of us who still have another 40-odd years to go can live vicariously...
....I certainly will. We have a few adventures planned.  One of which will involve a rather exciting rail journey !

Malc

Quote from: port perran on December 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM
....I certainly will. We have a few adventures planned.  One of which will involve a rather exciting rail journey !

Don't keep us in suspense.....do tell!
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

port perran

Quote from: Malc on December 10, 2014, 06:30:39 PM
Quote from: port perran on December 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM

Don't keep us in suspense.....do tell!
Nearer the time (the trip is scheduled for probably early to mid April next year).
It all has to be planned carefully so the itinerary still has to be finalised etc and I've found that really helpful website http://www.seat61.com/ invaluable as a planning tool.
All will be revealed nearer the time.

longbridge

Congratulations on your retirement, my advice for retirement is keep fit by walking, keep your mind active like building model train layouts, don't spend to much time watching TV and most of all if you are married agree with everything your wife tells you, silence is golden.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

austinbob

Quote from: longbridge on December 10, 2014, 07:49:28 PM
Congratulations on your retirement, my advice for retirement is keep fit by walking, keep your mind active like building model train layouts, don't spend to much time watching TV and most of all if you are married agree with everything your wife tells you, silence is golden.

I agree with all that 100%. If you like dogs then get one. You have to take them for walks or they make your life a misery!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

port perran

Quote from: longbridge on December 10, 2014, 07:49:28 PM
I have no problems with keeping active. We both love walking/sightseeing and are lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the world that offers so many walking opportunities.  Indeed we have many walks right from our back door to both North & South coasts. And some to local hostelries !
We also have 2 large allotments which will help to keep us very active.
In addition I have just started to learn to play the guitar (a birthday present from my lovely partner, Lorraine) which is something I regretted not doing 40 odd years ago!
And....lots more to keep us active and (hopefully) healthy.
Plus the model railway (OF COURSE).

GrahamB

I retired four years ago (aged 53).
I have no idea how I ever found the time to go to work. My eldest daughter constantly complains that she has to make an appointment to see me.
Keep busy, do what you want to do but make sure you do something that gest you out of the house.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Newportnobby

Erm - shouldn't that be model railways i.e.plural, Martin?
Whatever you do - enjoy it. I've been retired nearly 18 months now and just love it :thumbsup:

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on December 10, 2014, 08:49:32 PM
Erm - shouldn't that be model railways i.e.plural, Martin?
Whatever you do - enjoy it. I've been retired nearly 18 months now and just love it :thumbsup:

Certainly should be. Plus, of course, Mrs PP is building Descanso Farm .

Dorsetmike

It's great for the first few years, but it can start to drag when you pass 80; me get up and go just got up and went.

It's not helping that I've had this 3 bedroom 102 year old ex corner shop on the market since March, but can't do much about finding a rented retirement flat until a buyer gets as far as exchanging contracts. I dismantled the layout and salvaged as much as possible, tried sorting out what furniture and other stuff  to sell and what to keep, but until I know where I'm going I'm not sure what I'll need.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Trainfish

Quote from: port perran on December 10, 2014, 06:43:55 PM
I've found that really helpful website http://www.seat61.com/ invaluable as a planning tool.

Thanks for the link Port Perran, looks like a good/useful site. The wife and I were planning to go to Hamburg this year but it was postponed due to my employment status not quite going to plan. Hopefully next year though especially if the job interview I attended on Tuesday was successful  :-\
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations