Tablets

Started by Calnefoxile, December 05, 2014, 04:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

All,

I'm not talking about the Medical kind here, but the Technical kind.....

anyway, I'm thinking of buying a tablet for SWMBO for xmas, but I'm not buying an Ipad as I think they're completely overpriced.

So in the Forums humble opinion, what is the best of the others???

I've been looking at the Amazon FireHD and I already have a Galaxy Tab 2 for work, but should I consider the Galaxy Tab 3???

Regards

Neal.

Geoff

If not the Ipad then the samsung, do not get a Asus one the wifes keeps playing her up and running slow, but I love my Apple Air its a dream to run never had a problem with it.
Geoff

Toneeze

I bought my partner a Samsung Galaxy s, It has a OLED screen ( organic Light Emitting Diode ) the colours on screen are beautiful, and you can view the screen in bright sun light. :thumbsup:

Calnefoxile

Thanks for the advice so far.

Whilst I was mooching about the interweb I came across this http://www.tablets-world.com/item/10_inch_tablet_pc_android_4.4_kitkat_wifi_bluetooth_quad-core_cpu_40gb_bundle/cry_gbp/285/?gclid=COup3oqxr8ICFdLItAod1hcApQ Does anyone have any knowledge of this company and/or it's products.

I suppose I'm looking at our brethren across the pond for this one.

Cheers

Neal.

fisherman

worst  case  scenario...

if it all  goes  wrong  they  make  great  choping  boards....
<o({{{<<

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Calnefoxile on December 05, 2014, 05:11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice so far.

Whilst I was mooching about the interweb I came across this http://www.tablets-world.com/item/10_inch_tablet_pc_android_4.4_kitkat_wifi_bluetooth_quad-core_cpu_40gb_bundle/cry_gbp/285/?gclid=COup3oqxr8ICFdLItAod1hcApQ Does anyone have any knowledge of this company and/or it's products.

I suppose I'm looking at our brethren across the pond for this one.

Cheers

Neal.

Actually bin this site, I checked their FAQ's and there are numerous spelling errors that means I'm going to give them a wide berth.

Cheers

Neal.

Geoff

Argos had the Galaxy S Tab 4 for £175 for 6 hours on Black Friday then the price went back up to £250, they do have the Tab 3 for £179.
Geoff

Greybeema

Best advice is decide on what you want to do with it and then go and try them all out.

Currently Amazon.co.uk are doing a deal on the Fire HDX 7".  I have one on order to use on holiday because it's cheaper than my iPad if I drop it.   The regular Kindle does not render photos or maps particularly well and I tend to read a lot of reference books.

My son has a Microsoft Surface pro.  He uses it for notes and diagrams at College where he is studying TV Production.  He interfaces it directly to his PC at home and uses it to do film editing and presentations.  It's good if you want the interface to MS OS.  Apps are a bit limited though.  Needs extra security / anti virus.

We (Mrs GB, daughter and myself) have iPads of different types.  Good stable machine.  Loads of apps.  Totally compatible with iPhones (use of which predates the tablets)

It really is a matter of pays your money and takes your choice though...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Jack

Quote from: Greybeema on December 05, 2014, 05:47:27 PM
Best advice is decide on what you want to do with it and then go and try them all out.

It really is a matter of pays your money and takes your choice though...

Don't right off Tesco's Hudl. I've been using one since they first came out this time last year by way of a "first" tablet with the idea of getting a better one if a tablet was worth having. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Okay it's not the fastest on the block but I'm able to watch BBC iPlayer and the like without any problems, read ebooks and play various light games. You only have the option to tether to the internet via wifi mind you. Microsoft now let you have thier MS Office for tablet app for free if SWMBO already knows that software and doesn't feel like re learning a new office suite and that works fine on the Hudl.

It's possible to disable all the Tesco junk apps which I've done. It also has the ability to insert upto a 32GB micro SD card if you need more memory, not all, including Apple have that. I understand the lastest one has a slightly bigger screen and faster chip, I don't really know all the ins and outs because I've not even bothered looking because the Hudl I have is still capable of doing all I need.

For £129 less any Tesco tokens you could still afford the 22ct necklass as well.  :-X

If SWMBO really likes what she can do with a tablet you can always upgrage to one of the big names at a later date at some other gift giving time.

It could be worth doing a google for "Best tablet" and see what pops up.

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

longbridge

For the past 2 years I have been using a Samsung Tab2 10.1 Tablet, when it needs replacing I will not be buying another Samsung, there are lots of brands on the market these days many of which use a Quad 4 processor, 16gig, Micro SD slot, WiFi, 10 inch screen, USB input that sell for $99 or 50 Quid UK, that is less than half the cost of a new Tab4 10.1 Samsung but will do the same job, I bought a cheapie 7inch Tablet to use as a radio station log book some time ago and it has lasted very well and still going strong.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

One big thing to ask is - do they want to use it anywhere, or only in the house / WiFi hotspot area ?

If the former - make sure you can put a SIM card in (while the deals aren't as good on data SIMs as when SWMBO got her Galaxy Note (much better than the Tab, beats me why they do both, but ...  ::)), you can still pick up 3 months data / 3GB (whichever finishes first) at a reasonable price for use outside the house / WiFi)

If the latter - pretty much any (although I would look carefully before going for an MS-branded tablet ... not impressed with those).  As mentioned, SWMBO has a 10" Note (and loves it); I have a 7" Kindle Fire HD (not the latest), so am limited to WiFi access - not that it bothers me !

We both agree that iPads are vastly over-priced for what they offer ... no doubt the Apple-ologists will be up in arms at that !  :P 

Mike

Lawrence

I can say, don't buy a Dell.  I have just built one of these into a ruggedised system for a customer and have had no end of problems with it.  Despite that the customer has ordered another 10 systems with the proviso we use a different tablet!  We have a specific DC power supply consideration which is proving an issue but for 'useability' (given they need Win8.1) I have been looking at Lenovo, which look really robust, and the Microsoft Surface.
Apologies if this has added more confusion to your decision making process

Newportnobby

Quote from: fisherman on December 05, 2014, 05:14:08 PM
worst  case  scenario...

if it all  goes  wrong  they  make  great  chopping  boards....

Being an IT luddite it made me laugh :thumbsup:

Bealman

Me too... when the NSW gov decided to give all high school kids and their teachers a laptop a few years before I retired, mine got good use as a doorstop to keep me lab door open.

To address original post, I recently bought two Samsung Tab 3s for Mrs B and meself and am quite happy with them, but I must admit that Microsoft Surface thingy looks attractive.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jonny

I would hold fire on the Kindle fire HD. As there is a new replacement due out for this soon.
as the fire hdx have a known issue with the headphone socket playing up.
I purchased a hdx for swmbo last year for Christmas and it never lasted a year. She currently has a voucher to exchange towards the new version when it arrives

In have a galaxy tab 2 which has been a trusty companion
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%