Am i the only person here interested in Heavy Aviation Metal?

Started by B757-236GT, April 24, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Today's edition of our local rag has much better pics and a good article, for those interested:

illawarra mercury.com.au
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

srw

Some interesting reading (and some great photos) in this thread. I'm a big fan of aviation metal, but of the smaller variety!

steve836

Quote from: srw on March 10, 2015, 11:45:41 AM
Some interesting reading (and some great photos) in this thread. I'm a big fan of aviation metal, but of the smaller variety!

Is that model aircraft?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

srw

Quote from: steve836 on March 10, 2015, 11:50:23 AMIs that model aircraft?
No, real aircraft (though I have been known to dabble with a model aircraft or two  ;)). Mainly interested in fast jets and helicopters; particularly the latter as I work with them!

acko22

I know been a while since this thread has been active but hey hoo,

Anyone else down near Boscombe seeing well not sure what it is, it looks like a cross between a F-111 and a Tornado not really sure how to describe it.

Rather wide in the main body like a F-111 but a thing nose with a 2 seats one behind each other like found in a Tornado. It appears to have variable geometry wings but what really has thrown me and I can't find anything that matches it has 2 vertical stabilizers offset at a 45 degree angle.

It was a strange looking beast and I can't for the life of me find any pics of it and it has me well curious!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Basinga

The only aircraft I can think of like what you describe is the F14 Tomcat, but the twin stabilisers aren't angled...

Are you sure it was variable winged, or was it just that it looked like it did? A lot of new jets look like they should have sweeping wings...

Could have been this...

Is there an air show on?

acko22

I am well 99% certain it was variable winged with its wings set for low speed manoeuvres which would make sense as it took off from Boscombe did a loop over my Camp and the landed back at Boscombe.
It was low enough to make out some details but to much sun about to get a proper look if it's up and about again I will try to get a photo!

Funny you should mention air shows I know the Fairford air show is on the weekend of the 17th and Boscombe is used to hold some aircraft
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

B757-236GT

Well for me this has to be the red line of the decade. Very very rare in the UK and the general consensus it has never been to the UK before. For me thats why i moved on from trains, ok new trains come and go but at the end of the day they are still on this island wheras aircraft can leave and never come or back or even visit here in the first place.

[smg id=26803 type=preview align=center caption="DSCF1333"]

Also got another red line in the book, ive missed this one so many times its finally produced and i wasnt even expecting it.

[smg id=26804 type=preview align=center caption="DSCF1331"]

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Buzzard

Quote from: B757-236GT on July 05, 2015, 10:17:33 PM
Well for me this has to be the red line of the decade. Very very rare in the UK and the general consensus it has never been to the UK before.

[smg id=26803 type=preview align=center caption="DSCF1333"]

Which one is this please and when and where did you see it?

Nigel

B757-236GT

A6-EHK operated EY021 on 2/7/15. I believe it was to upgauged so it could pick up the Man City football team and still operate the scehduled service.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Buzzard

Quote from: B757-236GT on July 06, 2015, 09:06:48 AM
A6-EHK operated EY021 on 2/7/15. I believe it was to upgauged so it could pick up the Man City football team and still operate the scehduled service.
:thankyousign:
For info A6-EHF did the same flight the day before.

Quote from: B757-236GT on July 05, 2015, 10:17:33 PM
Very very rare in the UK and the general consensus it has never been to the UK before.
Well it's certainly rarer than it used to be.  It used to get into LHR quite regularly, almost daily back in 2013 then less frequently as 2014 passed by and it's only been in twice in 2015.  A6-EHI is rare as well, last into LHR over a year ago.

With Etihad now operating A388s to LHR and B789s from AUH to IAD, an occasional UK overflight, I wonder if they'll keep their A346s?

Nigel

steve836

I was stood at the school where I work (Barnardiston Nr. Haverhill in Suffolk) and looked up to see a Vulcan flying low ( I should guess about 200ft) overhead heading towards Bury St. Eds.  Why oh why do they have to do it when I havn't got my camera?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

daveg

Quote from: steve836 on August 27, 2015, 08:03:29 PM
I was stood at the school where I work (Barnardiston Nr. Haverhill in Suffolk) and looked up to see a Vulcan flying low ( I should guess about 200ft) overhead heading towards Bury St. Eds.  Why oh why do they have to do it when I havn't got my camera?

Could it have been the Vulcan that's being retired very shortly after the Clacton show (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/)?

Dave G

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: acko22 on June 30, 2015, 04:29:00 PM
I know been a while since this thread has been active but hey hoo,

Anyone else down near Boscombe seeing well not sure what it is, it looks like a cross between a F-111 and a Tornado not really sure how to describe it.

Rather wide in the main body like a F-111 but a thing nose with a 2 seats one behind each other like found in a Tornado. It appears to have variable geometry wings but what really has thrown me and I can't find anything that matches it has 2 vertical stabilizers offset at a 45 degree angle.

It was a strange looking beast and I can't for the life of me find any pics of it and it has me well curious!

Sorry, they all look the same to me. Unless it has up to 4 'fans' and dates from the 1930s/1940s that is!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations