A wee trip to Hamburg

Started by Lawrence, April 05, 2013, 09:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

As some of you know the boss (Della) had a special birthday recently and as she had previously mentioned visiting Hamburg, well who was I was to disappoint!  So here is my rough guide,  for a short break.

Baggage reclaim at Hamburg seems miles away but handily takes you close to the trains and you want to take the S-bahn to Hamburg Central Station or Hauptbanhoff on the S1 line, look for the white S on a green circle.  Tickets are purchased at the many HVV machines and, as I recall, you require the 3rd option which costs E2.95 one way per person.  The trip into the centre takes about 20-25 minutes with a short delay at Ohlsdorf as another 3 carriages are connected.

On arrival at the central station there are many taxis available, the bus station is just across the road and obviously all connections to all other areas are made from here. There is an information kiosk where you can get a map of the transport system.

Our hotel was only a 15-20 minute walk from the station but there are several hotels in the area (do your research) and it is a busy area, also on the street called Lange Reihe (turn left out of the station and go past the taxi rank)there are several bars, cafes & restaurants to choose from.  Running parallel with Lange Reihe is Koppel where we found our favourite place to eat called  Zur Alten Floete http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187331-d959267-Reviews-Zur_Alten_Floete-Hamburg.html
(easy to miss but look for the Bitburger sign above the door), you will see the large church, St George Kirche, as you head down there.  On the left, between a couple of hotels, as you go through the car park, there is a Modelbahn shop, he opens most days around 10am and has a good stock of N gauge. new and used.

To get to Miniature Wonderland Modelbahn you need the U3 line from Hauptbanhoff Sud (accessible from the main station) look for U3 on a yellow background, again ticket machines are plentiful and you require the first option ticket which is currently E1.40 each way and you need to get off at Baumwall (all the machines have an English option and accept coins and notes up to E10)

From Baumwall station head inland away from the main harbour (there are 3 different bridges you can cross) and across the dock, next to the Hamburg Dungeon in the old warehouses you will find Modelbahn, 2nd floor.  Entry is E12 per person and it costs E1 to put your coat and backpack in (something that is positively encouraged!).  Facilities are excellent, a well stocked shop and good value restaurant and a smoking room!  We spent about 5 or 6 hours there and didn't see it all so had to go back on Wednesday for another 4 hours or so.  Be prepared to be gobsmacked! Also our German friends don't do 'excuse me' so sharp elbows are a must.

On the Tuesday we took the same U3 line to Ratthaus, the Government buildings, quite stunning place where you can get guided tours, also there is a main shopping area here, if that is your thing and you can watch trains coming and going at the far side of the lake.

All the trains were clean, quiet and bang on time, there are no ticket barriers but random spot checks are done on board, inspectors will show their credentials first.

The main station in Hamburg is a great place to spend some time watching the trains go by, everything from the almost constant U line trains to full blown ICE trains.

Miniature Wonderland plan to add, Italian, French, UK and African layouts over the next 6 years and Della has suggested we go back in a few years to see how they are getting on!
I will post a link to some photos when I get them all uploaded, there are a couple of hundred and I aint editing them all.

I would highly recommend a trip to Hamburg, not just for the trains, it is a really nice place to visit and has excellent transport infrastructure, it is not cheap though so do save your pennies.  A decent main course with a glass or two of wine or beer comes in around E20 per head and I decided to pass on the E160 jeans and E250 shoes!  Finally, when you do head back to the airport, make sure you are in the front 3 coaches as the train splits at Ohlsdorf again and the back end heads to Poppenbüttel

Agrippa

Have you seen the film " The Odessa File"? If
so take care on the U-Bahn . :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Geoff

I use to work in Hamburg in the 70's it was a fantastic city then, and the people were always helpful even though I did not speak much German, I worked at the Blohm and Voss ship yard and they put me up on the outskirts of Hamburg and we traveled into Hamburg on the train everyday, I forget which train we traveled on but it was always on time, I would love to go back to Hamburg one day and visit the Miniature Wonderland Modelbahn.
Geoff

scotsoft

It sounds like the two of you had an excellent wee break  :)

Good descriptions given, I could almost close my eyes and be there, so I look forwards to seeing your photographs when you post the link to them  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

cookiescrumble

Sounds like a great trip and have to agree that miniature wonderland is superb and well worth a visit.

I spent a few days in Berlin back in February and took an ICE train to Hamburg on the last day of my trip to visit Miniature wonderland. It is a 20min walk from Hamburg Hautbahnhof (Central station) and was given a map and directions from the tourist office.

Just a pointer, if you know when you are going, if your pre book online you get a 10% discount off admission. You book an hour slot and have to arrive within that hour.

Lawrence

Pictures are now uploaded, all 313 of them  :o all unedited so please just take them for what they are.
Most of them are of the Modelbahn but there are some 'real' trains at the end, enjoy  ;)

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/lawrence1961/library/Hamburg?page=1

Jerry Howlett

Very nice Lawrence not like the Hamburg I visited in my 20's that as I recall had a reddish tinge to it... :-[
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Geoff

Oh hec Lawrence hope you finished this in one..  :beers:

Geoff

Pengi

Have looked at all of the pictures - there is something for everyone, ICE, steam, freight, planes, the football stadium, city, rural, mountainous etc

Sometimes hard to tell if a model or reality, the standard is so good. Love the faces carved into the mountains, the forklift with the pallets about to fall, the underground scenes, the ice and snow and the lights! The cars in the snow drifts are great.

These pictures will be a great help with the changes I am making to my layout although a scale model of Hamburg station is a bit out of my price range

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/aandhmodels/66140-minitrix-n-hamburg-dammtor-station-kit-15637-p.asp

Thanks also for the pictures of the 'big' railway and the ICE

:thankyousign: :thankyousign:  :thankyousign:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

scotsoft

It has taken me ages to look at all your photographs Lawrence and thank goodness for digital cameras  :thumbsup:

The difference scenes are just amazing and every time I see a crowded area I think of how much all those figures would cost and I bet they are Preiser or Noch.  I wonder how much they have it all insured for, it must cost quite a bit to insure that lot.

Thank you very much for taking the photographs and for taking the time to upload them  :admiration:

cheers John.

Lawrence

I have added some short videos too, again unedited so don't expect too much.

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/lawrence1961/library/Hamburg%20videos?page=1

Every 20-30 minutes they change to night time using a combination of blue & red tubes in the lights, the transitions are a bit strange but the final effect is very good.

I think you could spend a week there and not see everything and I would strongly recommend taking spare batteries for any cameras though, you will find it hard to stop taking pictures  ::)
Jane you are right, there is something for everyone and so many great little scenes dotted around and 20 are listed in the leaflet you get so you can try and find them.

The areas currently covered are Switzerland, Bavaria &Knuffingen Airport, Knuffingen, Austria, Middle Germany, Hamburg, USA and Scandinavia (where there are 1000s of litres of water in the lakes).

There is a fantastic and very large book, but unfortunately there will not be an English version until perhaps the end of the year.  We did buy a mug each though :D

John, you are more than welcome, I am glad you enjoyed them  :thumbsup:

Geoff, I'll be more careful in future when I ask for a large beer  :goggleeyes: it was very nice though  :D

Tank

Hamburg!  Great to hear that you and Della had a great time.  :)  I'll have to catch up on the pictures tomorrow, as it's scaring me that there are so many!!!!!!

OwL

WoW Lawrence,

Im glad you both enjoyed Germany. Your trip has given me inspiration to do the same thing for Fay!

I have booked marked this topic for future reference.

All the best Lawrence, good to see you enjoying a stien :beers:(or two)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Trainfish

I took the wife to Paris for a long weekend on her 50th. She keeps saying she doesn't know what to do for mine next year. I think I have an idea to put to her now..................
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Lawrence

Quote from: OwL on April 05, 2013, 10:14:43 PM
WoW Lawrence,

Im glad you both enjoyed Germany. Your trip has given me inspiration to do the same thing for Fay!

I have booked marked this topic for future reference.

All the best Lawrence, good to see you enjoying a stien :beers:(or two)

Give me a buzz if I can be of any further help Dave  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations